Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-02-2022, 07:17 PM

Default 30 br

Over the years I have had some luck with a few pretty consistent shooters, the most friendly of which is the 30BR. It’s a simple wildcat made by simply necking a 6BR case up to 30 cal. Fill the case with a moderately fast powder (H4198), top it with a 115/125 gr bullet and it will pile bullet after bullet into a reasonably tight group at the Range … and with copper solids, will put a deer on the ground before he has a chance to finish a fart. Only my second trip to the Range since mid November so needed a confidence builder so the 30BR was a no brainer today. Conditions were pretty good at noon today, -7C, light breeze from behind, a few snow flakes in the air … sub 1’2” groups.

Will try to get a pic to load … not having any luck with that ….

Anyways, velocity 3050.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 03-02-2022 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:51 PM

up

Last edited by 260 Rem; 03-02-2022 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=260 Rem;4495155]
You can see in the picture how the back end of the magazine (Rem 700 style bottom metal) has been “blocked” to accommodate the shorter cartridge.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:11 PM

Double post
Old 03-02-2022, 08:42 PM

I’ve done some 6BR and 7Br but not the 30
Old 03-02-2022, 09:05 PM
Shooting Xs

Dominates FVS Bench rest, have had one for 5 years now. I really like the family of BR based cartridges, have 3 currently. It's like pushing the easy button.
First post in a long time 260, nice to see some fresh holes in paper from you again.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:51 PM

No doubt that 6BR parent case has spawned some great performers (and of course shines in its own right), … not just the 30BR, but the 6 Dasher is another with an impressive pedigree.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:53 AM

I’ve also done a 17 BR. The only cases available at the lime were 7Br , forming was an interesting project !
Old 03-03-2022, 06:19 AM

Good to read your posts again old friend.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2022, 07:10 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
No doubt that 6BR parent case has spawned some great performers (and of course shines in its own right), … not just the 30BR, but the 6 Dasher is another with an impressive pedigree.
Lately the 6BR- AI ,now that there's mag's available for the PRS guys that feed them reliably and don't require as much forming as the Dasher.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:19 AM

30 BRX is interesting
Old 03-03-2022, 07:32 AM
Shooting Xs

Along with the .30 Major(.30 Grendel) and .30 PPC, for those with that bolt face if you're wanting some thing a little different, also a .30 WW and they show up on the win lists now and again.
But day in and day out the .30 BR. is hard to beat.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:41 AM

Just crawled down the Benchrest rabbit hole last year. Lots to learn yet but a good challenge.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:59 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Just crawled down the Benchrest rabbit hole last year. Lots to learn yet but a good challenge.
If you can go shoot some Club matches, most times there are members or shooters that will help you fill that rabbit hole with cash.
All kidding aside, you will learn quicker what works what don't from guys with experience.
We have a VFS league here in the Hat, lovingly referred to as" The Beer Belly Bench Rest League" we tell guys if you have a front rest and rear bag bring them with a rifle and SHOOT, figure out it if enjoy the discipline THEN if you do, get the best equipment that you can afford as you go along.
We have a lot of fun, this is my 5th. year running it.

I apologize for the slight de-rail .260.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:30 AM

I’m not a competition shooter but if I was, would fit into any “beer belly” club, albeit mine is more th result of potatoes. No such thing as a derail as long as we’re talking about things that go bang.
What is the 30 WW?
Old 03-03-2022, 11:04 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I’m not a competition shooter but if I was, would fit into any “beer belly” club, albeit mine is more th result of potatoes. No such thing as a derail as long as we’re talking about things that go bang.
What is the 30 WW?
Not sure yet, but Wayne France took 1st. place in the score portion of the Tack Driver II event with it, 6 BR based cartridges and 6 PPC dominated the other relays.
https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/6ppc/
The King of the Hill shoot last year at Rosebud followed parts of this along with a 500 meter steel relay with no sighters allowed.
It was fun, looking forward to this year.

To be honest, most of the old farts that shoot league are in the same boat relating to waistline girth.
It's just that Potato Belly Bench Rest League didn't have quite the same ring to it.

Last edited by DLab; 03-03-2022 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:49 PM
Shooting Xs

So ,I went to Accurate Shooter Forum and asked about the .30WW, it seems it's the .30Br. with the shoulder blown forward but retains the 30 degree shoulder instead of the 40 degree like the 6BRA.
Another variation.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:40 AM

We’re trying our hardest to get a Benchrest league going at the Rocky Range. Trying for one Sunday a month during winter. Weather has not been cooperating at all. Our first Introduction day had 17 show up which I figured was awesome for -10 morning. It was great to see. People are starving for interaction and throwing lead down range with a little structure. I ran a “Run What Ya Brung” day. There was everything on the line from BLR to fancy bench rail gun. The quest for knowledge was contagious. Hopefully weather will cooperate for March 13.
The 30br was a hot topic. Hopefully one shows up next week to see it stretched to 600m.
Thanks for your great threads Jim
Old 03-04-2022, 09:18 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Runner View Post
We’re trying our hardest to get a Benchrest league going at the Rocky Range. Trying for one Sunday a month during winter. Weather has not been cooperating at all. Our first Introduction day had 17 show up which I figured was awesome for -10 morning. It was great to see. People are starving for interaction and throwing lead down range with a little structure. I ran a “Run What Ya Brung” day. There was everything on the line from BLR to fancy bench rail gun. The quest for knowledge was contagious. Hopefully weather will cooperate for March 13.
The 30br was a hot topic. Hopefully one shows up next week to see it stretched to 600m.
Which discipline Jim, Varmint for Score or Group?
The .30 BR. is a 300 yard gun at most, it was primarily designed for 100 and 200 yd. VFS BR. other 6 BR. variants are more suitable for 600 mtr. IMO.
Would be challenging to say the least.
Med. Hat Range only goes to 300 yard unfortunately and is set up with the 100 yd. separate from the 200-300 yd. It was never designed with SRBR in mind.
Anyway, that's a very good turnout, especially for the weather. lol if I remember correctly we had 6 or 8 people for our first with no Bench rest guns, all Sporters and Varmint rifles. Also ,we had no benches or pad built on the 200-300 so it's been a work in progress...but we're getting there.

Like most things last couple years, restrictions made for interesting schedules. We will run this year normal, 4 shoots each of May, June and July.
August we usually take off due to people on Holidays, etc. and it's TOO hot here, then do 4 more in Sept. that runs an open format as far as rifles go, we just shoot group at 300 yds., otherwise .30 cal. max and no Brakes allowed during the regular summer League.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Runner View Post
You certainly have a very nice range to help draw interest. Only been to your range once but it is a superb facility.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:18 PM

It would need to be exceptionally calm for those stubby bullets favored by the 30BR to perform well much beyond 300M. Leave that to another variant based on the same case, the 6 Dasher. I have several barrels chambered for the Dasher so have a bit of (short range) experience with them.
I understand the reluctance to to hunt (deer) with “wildcats” but for those that shoot year ‘round, either the 30BR or the Dasher are not only “capable” but would provide a good dose of quality “range” time.
For those not familiar with the Dasher, it is formed from a 6BR case that has the shoulder “blown” forward close to 1/10th of an inch. That little bit of room for a few more grains of powder is capable of launching some of the moderately longer 6MM bullets reasonably fast and with only a marginal increase in recoil. (Many would agree that being able to manage recoil is important to “accuracy”.)
Old 03-04-2022, 04:17 PM

I have created a new post dedicated to the 6 Dasher.