Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-14-2022, 08:58 PM

Default Shotgun red dot

I just bought one of these Canuck Enforcers

Does anyone have suggestions for a red dot to fit that (weaver?) pinch mount on the top of that receiver?

Last edited by 6MT; 02-14-2022 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:32 PM

I've got a Burris FastFire II on my 870. I used it for a course here, buckshot, slugs, magnum slugs. It has held zero perfectly, I haven't moved it in well over 1000 rounds since I zeroed it. There are so many different ones out there, Leupold and Aimpoint, Trijicon, all very good. Friends run them as well, great results. But they are quite a bit more money. I have no complaints with that Burris, plenty bright and sturdy. I am pretty sure the Burris has an adapter plate for the Weaver, but not 100%. I've got mine on a standard picatinny rail.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-14-2022, 09:34 PM

Thanks! I think that the mount on the top of the receiver is some sort of a pinch mount(?). Will most red dots mount to that style of top?
Old 02-14-2022, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Thanks! I think that the mount on the top of the receiver is some sort of a pinch mount(?). Will most red dots mount to that style of top?
Most red dots I have seen will have multiple adapter plates for different platforms. The picatinny rail is most common. You may have trouble finding one for that weaver. Best bet is to check websites for red dots you are looking at and check mounting options.

There are also Weaver to Picatinny adapters, but they will raise your red dot up as well, so you may not get the cheek weld or sight picture you are comfortable with.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-14-2022, 10:05 PM

looks like the type of gun someone could use for defensive purposes in the home. I wish I had a gun like that, and if I did I would mount a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 on it. this sight powers up when it is moved or disturbed(shake awake). so does the holosun 507C, it is considerably smaller but a little more expensive. for a few less dollars the older bushnell tr25 is reliable, but it needs to be manually turned on. the new trs25 just hit the market so reliability is unknown. all will need a pic rail. I wish I had more info but I really don't know much about red dots.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:49 AM

Not a Vortex fan but their Red Dots I like. They are also the only Red Dot that is a reasonable priced and have a lifetime warranty. Most are one year. I have a couple of their SPARC units, have had them on a variety of guns, including shotguns. So far, 9 years no issues. Come on sale at Cabela's regularly for 199 bucks.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:11 PM

Romeo 5 is a good little unit. I have one on a savage 64 but it is rated to some magnum rifles. I’m currently looking for something to put on a lever action 45/70. Thinking eotech or more likely a trijicon rmr. Something small and light.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Not a Vortex fan but their Red Dots I like. They are also the only Red Dot that is a reasonable priced and have a lifetime warranty. Most are one year. I have a couple of their SPARC units, have had them on a variety of guns, including shotguns. So far, 9 years no issues. Come on sale at Cabela's regularly for 199 bucks.
It is currently on sale for 199. Was eyeballing it and what a price difference compared to others. For a vortex product seems to be a fair number of good reviews.
Old 02-16-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, these will not work with the dovetail mount on the receiver of the Canuck Enforcer. They only work with picatinny or weaver rail mounts.

I did come across an Aimpoint Micro S1. It has a mounting system for using on the barrel rib. I'm not sure that it would work for the dovetail though. I believe the barrel ribs are larger then the dovetail.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, these will not work with the dovetail mount on the receiver of the Canuck Enforcer. They only work with picatinny or weaver rail mounts.

I did come across an Aimpoint Micro S1. It has a mounting system for using on the barrel rib. I'm not sure that it would work for the dovetail though. I believe the barrel ribs are larger then the dovetail.
It is very easy to get a weaver mount that fits on the grooved mount that allows the red dot to mount to it. It is what I use to mount it on my Baikal 22 over 20 gauge grouse gun with the grooved receiver. If you have a true dovetail there is a weaver mount for that too.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:58 PM

Thanks! I will do some more research.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:20 PM

The dovetail is 11.8mm across the top.

m
Old 02-17-2022, 09:12 AM

I found a dovetail to picatinny/weaver adapter. So the search for a red dot with the dovetail mount is now moot.

Now to decide on a red dot.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I found a dovetail to picatinny/weaver adapter. So the search for a red dot with the dovetail mount is now moot.

Now to decide on a red dot.
Good to hear you found the adapter okay. Try the Vortex, especially since they are currently on sale for 199 bucks. If you don't like it you can take it back for a refund or resell them verry easily. Guys seem happy to pay 225 to 250 for used ones, must not know they go on sale from 299 to 199 pretty regularly.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:37 AM

I just bought a Holosun red dot, and while I haven't used it/shot with it, they have a very good reputation...and some nice features. (ie, solar panels so they can run in daylight without a battery if req., estimated 10,000 hour battery life, shake-awake switch) Comes with high/low mounts.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:53 PM

Bought the vortex and installed it on my mossberg 590 and tried it out yesterday. So far I would definitely recommend it. Mind you it's also my first red dot so definitely not an expert on them.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Good to hear you found the adapter okay. Try the Vortex, especially since they are currently on sale for 199 bucks. If you don't like it you can take it back for a refund or resell them verry easily. Guys seem happy to pay 225 to 250 for used ones, must not know they go on sale from 299 to 199 pretty regularly.
I picked up a TRS25 for a decent price. I’ve had a couple of these before, so I thought I’d try it again. And at $135 delivered, that sealed the deal.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:40 AM

My trs has been great on my m3k. I think you will love it. Keep an extra battery handy if you take it on a match or anything.