Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-24-2013, 11:08 AM

Default electric motors on trout ponds?

Anyone know if its allowed?

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:12 AM

Depends on the location but as a general rule of thumb, yes. Gas motors are another story
Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM

was gonna go give hansens a shot....

Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 AM

oh man, Hansen's is tiny, you don't need a motor on there. You can almost cast across it. Oars would be fine.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:00 PM

I recently heard of a lake that is allegedly "no motors"

Does anyone know if there is truth to this? I'm not sure I understand why electric motors would not be aloud.

IMO they should get gas motors off of all small water bodies.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermansfriend View Post
was gonna go give hansens a shot....
Not sure hansens may say no boats, I know niemeas is no boats. Good to go at dickson 20 min further.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:14 PM

Was at allison lake this past wknd and they have a sign at launch, that states no props...
Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post

Does anyone know if there is truth to this? I'm not sure I understand why electric motors would not be aloud.

Glenmore res is like that... not totally sure why...
Old 07-24-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Yes I know of at least one, wouldn't mind seeing a few more. The only reason I can see is to keep the crowds down.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-24-2013, 02:37 PM

Here is the federal regulations which state the restrictions on lakes.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r.../SOR-2008-120/

Hansen’s Reservoir is listed in:

(SCHEDULE 2 : WATERS ON WHICH POWER-DRIVEN VESSELS AND VESSELS DRIVEN BY ELECTRICAL PROPULSION ARE PROHIBITED)

So, I'd say boat is ok, just no electric or power motor.

See ya
Ace
Old 07-24-2013, 02:50 PM

I may be wrong here,not the first time I've been sucking air,but the issue with props may be linked to the damage it causes to trout on these small bodies of water.
I use both gas and electric motors on commercial ponds,the 4 horse merc is known as the mercury filleting machine,a cage had to be built around the prop, because every time I fed, I killed at least 2 fish.The electric,while easier on them when a direct hit occurs,still kills it's fair share.Trout do not seem to shy from a moving prop of any sort if they are used to them.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Here is the federal regulations which state the restrictions on lakes.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r.../SOR-2008-120/

Hansen’s Reservoir is listed in:

(SCHEDULE 2 : WATERS ON WHICH POWER-DRIVEN VESSELS AND VESSELS DRIVEN BY ELECTRICAL PROPULSION ARE PROHIBITED)

So, I'd say boat is ok, just no electric or power motor.

See ya
Ace
thanks a ton, ill be rowing i guess.. im headed to beaver tomorrow to try out the pontoon with a trolling motor!

Old 07-24-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
I may be wrong here,not the first time I've been sucking air,but the issue with props may be linked to the damage it causes to trout on these small bodies of water.
I use both gas and electric motors on commercial ponds,the 4 horse merc is known as the mercury filleting machine,a cage had to be built around the prop, because every time I fed, I killed at least 2 fish.The electric,while easier on them when a direct hit occurs,still kills it's fair share.Trout do not seem to shy from a moving prop of any sort if they are used to them.
I agree only because I've had the pleasure of being on said commercial ponds during feeding time. This does make sense but more so during the feeding frenzy created by feeding them. Also the fish population density is a large factor. In my experience sight fishing I have to cast from a distance as to not spook fish. Also, with out the motor even running I've watched fish bolt away from most if not all of my vessels.

Habitat destruction is a likely factor in why they would ban trolling motors I would think

I'm sure many of us have had to oar a mile against a strong wind that seemed to come out of no where. IMHO elec motors should never be banned, as a safety precaution I know I want one. How many of you guys wear a pfd while on your pontoon? I'm yet to see anyone. If a storm blows in unexpectedly a trolling motor may be the difference between getting to the launch...... And a survival situation.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
I agree only because I've had the pleasure of being on said commercial ponds during feeding time. This does make sense but more so during the feeding frenzy created by feeding them. Also the fish population density is a large factor. In my experience sight fishing I have to cast from a distance as to not spook fish. Also, with out the motor even running I've watched fish bolt away from most if not all of my vessels.

Habitat destruction is a likely factor in why they would ban trolling motors I would think

I'm sure many of us have had to oar a mile against a strong wind that seemed to come out of no where. IMHO elec motors should never be banned, as a safety precaution I know I want one. How many of you guys wear a pfd while on your pontoon? I'm yet to see anyone. If a storm blows in unexpectedly a trolling motor may be the difference between getting to the launch...... And a survival situation.
Survival really, I guess if you try to get to tbe launch instead of just going to shore. Now if uour on a pontoon in the middle of gull I can see some danger on beaver hmmm not so much.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Survival really, I guess if you try to get to tbe launch instead of just going to shore. Now if uour on a pontoon in the middle of gull I can see some danger on beaver hmmm not so much.
I guess you've obviously never been soaking wet with motor issues stranded across a lake with no cellphone because it too was wet. In the dark, no head lamp, subzero temps at night. Lighter and matches soaked.

Ever get two flats in one day on your boat trailer with only one spare?
It happens

When it rains..... It pours

I was taught to prepare for the worst. So maybe I can dream up some purdy harsh worst case scenarios.

Far fetched yeah. But so are kamakazee trout. Unless you have floating fish feed surrounding your vessel like in Northwinds scenario. They're not asiatic carp, they're put n take hatchery trout. I'd bet more die during stocking than from trolling motors 10-1 on our stocked lakes. Northwinds is a unique scenario.

If a fishery supposedly can't support itself due to trolling motors I'd eat my prop.

I like having three methods to propel my toon, feet oars and motor. Ever break an oar lock? It happened to me, guess what.... It was trying to get to the launch (which also happened to be the closest shore) in a storm.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
They're not asiatic carp, they're put n take hatchery trout. I'd bet more die during stocking than from trolling motors 10-1 on our stocked lakes. Northwinds is a unique scenario.

If a fishery supposedly can't support itself due to trolling motors I'd eat my prop.
By definition a put and take fishery cannot support itself. Looking at the picture of that pond, props would kill a significant amount of fish during hatches when they're surface feeding. They also put in 4000 fish a year to that puddle, fairly high fish density for the size, there's man made 'lakes' up here that don't see that many fish added to them each year.

Being prepared for the worst, as a fisherman, means being prepared to not get out on the water at all, or to call it an early day if there's going to be thunder storms in the afternoon, or to go somewhere else entirely or plain old not fish at all. It doesn't mean being able to go out in the most horrible conditions there are.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Banned

Cool

Worst case scenario sure and my mate murphy never sleeps . And yes I have been on some gooders on kootaney lake in a 16'tinner with the motor giving grief so my friend and I rowed back to the safest shore and fixed the motor. I still dont feel we were at survival level . In a poor situation sure. Survival is a might worse , if one has the presence of mind to "save"some fishing gear then its not quite that bad.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
By definition a put and take fishery cannot support itself. Looking at the picture of that pond, props would kill a significant amount of fish during hatches when they're surface feeding. They also put in 4000 fish a year to that puddle, fairly high fish density for the size, there's man made 'lakes' up here that don't see that many fish added to them each year.

Being prepared for the worst, as a fisherman, means being prepared to not get out on the water at all, or to call it an early day if there's going to be thunder storms in the afternoon, or to go somewhere else entirely or plain old not fish at all. It doesn't mean being able to go out in the most horrible conditions there are.
Well I'm yet to have one hit my prop. I can tell when it hits a weed let alone a fish going kamakazee at it.

Ever fish a walleye tourney? Lol they call it at 35 km/h or lightning.

Lol not get on the water, I've got another word for that. And it wouldn't be in the fisherMAN column.

Prepared for the worst to me is for when the unpredictable happens because its bound to.

I don't want to have to call it a day after I drove for six hours to a lake. I'll tough it out. I guess we are not all built the same though.

Don't worry boys if it doesn't over winter fish you can count on me not being there

Old 07-24-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Well I'm yet to have one hit my prop. I can tell when it hits a weed let alone a fish going kamakazee at it.

Ever fish a walleye tourney? Lol they call it at 35 km/h or lightning.

Lol not get on the water, I've got another word for that. And it wouldn't be in the fisherMAN column.

Prepared for the worst to me is for when the unpredictable happens because its bound to.

I don't want to have to call it a day after I drove for six hours to a lake. I'll tough it out. I guess we are not all built the same though.

Don't worry boys if it doesn't over winter fish you can count on me not being there
Comparing a day on the lake to competing in a tournament is like comparing driving a sedan to work, or a race car for a living. When money is on the line people do stupid things.

I'm sure some would fish in horrible conditions but I for one like to enjoy myself and my surroundings. Being pounded with rain, wind and waves isn't that enjoyable for me. I'd rather kick back with a drink and a smoke and watch it all go by. I spent my fair share of time fishing in the mess, and I prefer to gtfo before then. Always another day to catch fish.

I can totally agree on your last statement though. If I want pan fry's I'll catch perch.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 PM

Gee I wonder what people did before electricity, probably sat at home. Sheesh folks!!

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Gee I wonder what people did before electricity, probably sat at home. Sheesh folks!!
Exactly, what country are we in. prior to 1880 you walked, rowed or paddled. As such when the weather looked dangerous you take a break.a day not paddling or walking in sure was a welcome respite.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 PM

we dont live in the 1800s so why would that even be a legit argument?

Not saying either way that prop or no prop is better because i honestly dont know. But really we didnt have alot of things back in the day the doesnt mean we should go with out just because people did before..

Old 07-24-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermansfriend View Post
we dont live in the 1800s so why would that even be a legit argument?

Not saying either way that prop or no prop is better because i honestly dont know. But really we didnt have alot of things back in the day the doesnt mean we should go with out just because people did before..
But sometimes the fun is going out, without.

I wanted a row boat when I bought my boat, I don't think a row boat can be had in Alberta. Kinda sad really, tinners was as good as it got. I bought a little sailing dingy, 12', outfitted it with oars. That little girl is smoking fast, I can row it faster than my 45lb. thrust can push it. Has a drop down keel, I can stand and cast all day without a worry about tipping. Actually the only reason I got a trolling motor for it is because I missed so many fish when I was rowing, but the control you have when rowing, wow, like being in a belly boat. I can put my girl right on the edge of weeds for hundreds of yards, stop on a dime, and then go. I'm learning to row it holding both oars in one hand, on a calm day I can control it pretty good like that, when it's windy I need a little more force and have to use both. I would own this boat before a pontoon any day of the week.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-25-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
But sometimes the fun is going out, without.

I wanted a row boat when I bought my boat, I don't think a row boat can be had in Alberta. Kinda sad really, tinners was as good as it got. I bought a little sailing dingy, 12', outfitted it with oars. That little girl is smoking fast, I can row it faster than my 45lb. thrust can push it. Has a drop down keel, I can stand and cast all day without a worry about tipping. Actually the only reason I got a trolling motor for it is because I missed so many fish when I was rowing, but the control you have when rowing, wow, like being in a belly boat. I can put my girl right on the edge of weeds for hundreds of yards, stop on a dime, and then go. I'm learning to row it holding both oars in one hand, on a calm day I can control it pretty good like that, when it's windy I need a little more force and have to use both. I would own this boat before a pontoon any day of the week.
well honestly i would love a nice drift boat but 2500-5000 compared to 750 is a big difference.. one day ill own a nice clackacraft