Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-14-2021, 12:10 AM

Default Hunting Mallards

Hi everybody- I have had mallards come into my goose decoys but I'm curious as to what you do when you are hunting ducks specifically. Can you target them in a field or should I be looking for water? What does a good mallard spread look like? So much of the info out there seems geared towards an American context, not sure if it is different up here. Thank you kindly
Old 02-14-2021, 12:30 AM

Depending on wind, terrain and sun situation, I spread my geese decoys in a "U", a "J" and sometimes in "X" form.
I put my mojo and +/-6 duck decoys I have, in one of the tips of my spread. Mojo needs to be switched off when geese is landing, as it will flare them off.
Mojo and duck decoys were purchased last year, so my experience with mixed spread is limited. Curious to see what the other guys are doing.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:07 AM

Default Hunting mallards.

I’ve killed many, many mallards in my goose spread, and use goose decoys when there are only mallards feeding in a field. When that’s the case, I will throw a couple of mallard mojo decoys in the mix. There’s nothing better than a good duck field shoot. On the water, I use 3 dozen mallard floaters, and have had great results that way too. Sometimes it’s the smaller puddles that yield the best shoots.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:44 AM

Find a spot with a few sloughs close to to each other, watch the ducks coming and going and you’ll see their flight path...go stand there. Shoot ducks!
Old 02-14-2021, 07:19 AM

We shoot a lot of mallards over our goose spreads, just put up a roboduck or two, to bring them in better.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:17 PM

Interesting! It would be cool to experiment with a mixed spread this year. Guess I'll be picking up a couple of mojos and maybe some full bodies. If I had a buddy keeping up the goose noise, would it be worth calling?
Old 02-14-2021, 01:34 PM

Default Hunting mallards

I use a goose call to grab their attention at long range, then switch to a duck call when they get closer. Usually a feeding chuckle then go quiet to let them finish.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
We shoot a lot of mallards over our goose spreads, just put up a roboduck or two, to bring them in better.
Exactly

The best duck decoys are goose decoys
And a couple mojos
Old 02-14-2021, 03:08 PM

Another fun way to hunt ducks is with a canoe and some floating decoys,
A dog is fun if you have one, if not... the canoe works.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:44 PM

mojos just work! wouldnt waste buying any field mallard dekes, they make them because they look awesome and hunters have to have em, guess its like dressing in camo LOL.

field shooting with goose dekes and a couple mojos will kill em every time. field shooing mallards is fun. B U T finding that early morning puddle where they all want to congregate before feeding just cant be beat period!. shoot 8 guys over dozen and a half dekes, make it rain! only bad thing is its over way too fast
Old 02-14-2021, 06:05 PM

I stay away from water. No bird dog and hate mucking. Goose decs in a spotted field. That first shooting light can be frantic. My fav though is getting into the lane where they fly out from their pre stage, far enough not to bust the water. It only happens a couple of times per season, but that’s why I go.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
mojos just work! wouldnt waste buying any field mallard dekes, they make them because they look awesome and hunters have to have em, guess its like dressing in camo LOL.

field shooting with goose dekes and a couple mojos will kill em every time. field shooing mallards is fun. B U T finding that early morning puddle where they all want to congregate before feeding just cant be beat period!. shoot 8 guys over dozen and a half dekes, make it rain! only bad thing is its over way too fast
Buddy, that was a doozy of a hunt we had at that puddle in the pea field. Them big fellers couldn't believe it. Truth is neither could I. Wow. Watchin old Diesel put the smack down was the best!
Old 02-14-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post

Those hunts are fun. But like you say over-too fast! Have done them where it took longer to set up than to actually get a limit.
The best hunts I like are the hunts that the ducks trickle in in 2s and 3s and 5 or 10 minutes apart.