Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-12-2021, 06:24 PM

Default Alpz Outdoorz Big Bear pack

Has anyone had any experience with this item, or this brand in general. They are definitely more of a budget conscious line of gear, but to give you some perspective I am currently using the Cabelas RedHead $35 pack for day trips (cant remember the name), it's already busted on me once and I've had to return it
Old 01-12-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxiD View Post
Has anyone had any experience with this item, or this brand in general. They are definitely more of a budget conscious line of gear, but to give you some perspective I am currently using the Cabelas RedHead $35 pack for day trips (cant remember the name), it's already busted on me once and I've had to return it
I have been using an alps falcon pack for 5 years. I have near 1000 km of hiking with it. Its decent. I like the rifle/bow carrier to put my bow in for the overlap in archery moose and rifle season. I tore the zipper over stuffing it the first year and sewed it.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:14 AM

My wife and I both have alpz packs and love them. We also upgraded from Your average Cabelas packs. They are light, durable and carry well. Ours aren’t meant for packing out meat, for that I also purchased an alpz frame pack that is awesome. I’d recommend them.

I’d like to get there park with the built in chair for coyote hunting next.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the input. Good to know there is still some decent stuff that you dont have to remortgage your house to buy. I have their bino harness and I love it
Old 02-01-2021, 10:56 PM

I've got one of their frame packs with the meat hauler and it's decent.
It takes some adjusting if you're gonna carry a heavy load so it doesn't shift side to side but the capacity and the pockets are sufficient. Two things I don't like about it though, but I got over them fairly quickly because it is a budget conscious pack and I essentially got it for free because Amazon offered me a refund after canada post said they lost it, then it showed up a few days later.
1, the waist belt pockets are difficult to zip back up because of the pocket/zipper direction positioning, I don't have TRex arms but its awkward to reach back to that position. 2, it's a hassle to put the pack back onto the frame if you're gonna take it off to haul out meat, especially in cold temperatures as I live in the NWT. It does come with two different ways to connect the pack to the frame, rings and pins. The pins are noisy and rattle, and the rings(sharp points) can get caught on clothing and rip or tear it( not ideal if you use expensive brands for your top layers).
I do like the brand though, the material is quite durable. I've got the bino harness as well as my gf has her own and I own the Taurus IV tent which is easy to set up and stood up well to a rainy fall moose hunt which saw below freezing night temperatures.
Hope that summary helps as a bit of a review on the brand.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:21 PM

Alpz makes decent gear for the money.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:09 AM

I ordered and received the Alps Big Bear pack and its not as the name implies, lol. I'm pretty broad at the shoulders and chest and I can see that I will have a difficult time with adjustments to make it comfortable..........appears to be good quality though.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:06 PM

I guess I could have said they are fairly narrow and are smaller internally than they look on tv.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:03 AM

Another good budget consious option might be Blackhawk. Have a pack, that is pretty well made. But unfortunately, not a great design. Mine anyway. Could use a frame and better space management. But it is rugged, and has a nice hip belt, to minimize flopping around.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 02-05-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Alpz makes decent gear for the money.
Agreed, that's been my experience as well.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:49 PM

So I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Big Bear backpack/fanny pack. I was super excited to try it out. Knock at the door this evening and there it is! Pulled it out, tried it on, strap tore right off the shoulder! Couldn't believe it! From what you guys say, this is probably an anomaly but I am on a deadline now. Heading out for coyotes on Sunday and have no pack! Looks like a trip to Cabela's is in order tomorrow
Old 02-12-2021, 08:12 PM

I bought an Alps OutdoorZ commander frame pack and bag. Was an awesome price off Amazon and I’ve used it on 3 mountain hunts. Sure it’s not the Cadillac but it sure works and gets the job done. I haven’t had any major breaks while using it, it would be nice to have a smaller pack like a day pack to put with the frame for day hunts. I’ve even stripped the bag off and taken just the frame on other hunting trips when I don’t take my quad. It’s nice to know I have a frame pack in the truck that I can hike out bigger loads or more quarters if I can’t get the truck to the game.

I don’t have any info or insight on the pack you’re looking into but personally I’d say it would be better then cabela house brand packs.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
I bought an Alps OutdoorZ commander frame pack and bag. Was an awesome price off Amazon and I’ve used it on 3 mountain hunts. Sure it’s not the Cadillac but it sure works and gets the job done. I haven’t had any major breaks while using it, it would be nice to have a smaller pack like a day pack to put with the frame for day hunts. I’ve even stripped the bag off and taken just the frame on other hunting trips when I don’t take my quad. It’s nice to know I have a frame pack in the truck that I can hike out bigger loads or more quarters if I can’t get the truck to the game.

I don’t have any info or insight on the pack you’re looking into but personally I’d say it would be better then cabela house brand packs.
But this one broke in roughly 45 seconds! I cant see a Cabela's pack breaking quicker than that haha