Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-21-2011, 07:42 PM

Question Arrow Spine?

What is the spine of the arrow? Their are som many differant ones which one do I pick and how do I know how to pick it? I am shooting them out of a recurve bow. Thanks

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 PM

Try checking out Easton's web page, they have a spine/arrow chart on it. It will give you a good starting pt.
Three Rivers Archery catalogue has this chart also which will show alum, carbon and wood arrows.
If your interested in trying some aluminum shafts let me know. I have a few 1/2 doz shafts that aren't even cut or fletched. Let me know what your specs are I may be able to give you a close guess whether thay can work.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Banned

reading a spine chart and picking out what it says does work....but i like to know and understand what things really mean and why. this will teach you those things.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_...deflection.htm
Old 04-22-2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapshooter View Post
What is the spine of the arrow? Their are som many differant ones which one do I pick and how do I know how to pick it? I am shooting them out of a recurve bow. Thanks
Im a Recurve shooter

What is your poundage at your draw length and what is your draw length, I should be able to help you get fairly close to what will work for you
Old 04-22-2011, 02:21 PM

Spine selection has a lot of factors, just like reloading your own ammo. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you like.

First thing I would have done is have your true draw length measure along with the specific draw weight at that length.

Determine the minimum length of arrow that you should shoot for your drawlength, i don't recommend people cut arrows to this length, it is always easier to shorten a long arrow and impossible to lengthen a short one.

Do you have a preference for any particular tip weight?

Just because a piece of paper or computer program tells you that your need a certian spine range doesn't make it bullet proof. I know many trad. shooters who end up bare shaft tuning their bows and realize that arrow is under or over spined for their setups. Then they begin to play with arrow length and weight in order to reach their proper spine.

These programs get you close but its all about how close do you want to be (reason for the reloading comparison).