Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 PM

Default Should I buy a savage axis

I still see them on sale at whole sale sports and I would like one in a .223. I've read lots of good stuff but not much bad. Should I get it?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Banned

I bought the flat black model, .223 cal. I absolutely love it. Bought it before the sale, but went back with my receipt and got refunded the difference. Some guys complain that the trigger is too heavy but that does'nt bother me. Definately a good buy.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:13 PM

The shoudlnt be if it should be when. And the answer is now. Even if you get it, totally hate it, you can sell it once the sales over and make a few bucks. I would say buying an axis is npw is like buying a house when the market is low. Get it use for a bit enjoy an sell it later and break even or even make a little profit.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
I bought the flat black model, .223 cal. I absolutely love it. Bought it before the sale, but went back with my receipt and got refunded the difference. Some guys complain that the trigger is too heavy but that does'nt bother me. Definately a good buy.
Have you looked into the fixing the trigger, theres a video that looks like it would work good.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:17 AM

Bought one in .223 and I love it. Only "issue" is the tight trigger but it's very manageable. And if you don like it replace the trigger. For the price very good gun. Coupled mine with a 6x18 Nikon buckmaster BDC and it works great.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comstar View Post
Have you looked into the fixing the trigger, theres a video that looks like it would work good.
Like I said, the trigger does'nt bother me.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 AM

It is a bargain buy and it is exactly that. for $90 more is the model 111 worth it, yep. then you can move up from there....... as far as any many rifles that are cheaper in price, most people wouldnt be happy with the triggers and other possible things. People luv the savages due to the reputation of accuracy out of the box, hard to argue that. So having said that, only you can justify cost vs usage and be able to answer those questiosn......................... let us know what you decide on and good luck!

Myself I bought a savage axis and a 111 ,why quibble LOL!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comstar View Post
I still see them on sale at whole sale sports and I would like one in a .223. I've read lots of good stuff but not much bad. Should I get it?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Accuracy
Inexpensive
Quality

Choose any two. Savage chose the first two. Definitely not the latter. The receiver wasn't even machined straight/level on mine and the bases had to be shimmed.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
Accuracy
Inexpensive
Quality

Choose any two. Savage chose the first two. Definitely not the latter. The receiver wasn't even machined straight/level on mine and the bases had to be shimmed.
It would have been machined straight. After machining the actions are heat treated and this is when warpage can occur.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Banned

I picked up the savage predator model in winter camo from WSS last Feb. it has the accu trigger. I don't think it's all that much different from the axis model however, I may be wrong. I mounted a Nikon coyote hunter scope on the rifle and I love the accuracy. 55 gn pills work wonders on long distance rabbits and varments.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:16 PM

Thanks for commenting it is appreciated. I just called whole sale sports and the sale ends on the 8th. So I have some more time to look around. Also how are the stocks? I heard the ones on the Stevens 200 were not the best. Is the axis similar?
Old 01-04-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
It would have been machined straight. After machining the actions are heat treated and this is when warpage can occur.
Okie dokie, well if you hold a steel ruler against the top of the action, it's crooked. It came with a factory scope which could not have POSSIBLY been bore sighted since there was no way to make the rifle hit any target.

Shimming was mandatory (and then the use of signature zee-rings) so that the scope tube didn't get bent...

Apparently, it's not that uncommon. There are some images of peoples rifles who had a similar experience on the savage shooters forum. I think the thread is called "308 shooting low".
Old 01-04-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I picked up the savage predator model in winter camo from WSS last Feb. it has the accu trigger. I don't think it's all that much different from the axis model however, I may be wrong
You're wrong.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:29 PM

The 111 has an integral recoil lug. The axis has the recoil lug in the stock which is a cost saving measure making it very difficult to get an aftermarket stock.

The magazine release on the Axis is plastic and there have been many reports of them breaking on the savageshooters forum, particularly in the cold. The 111 has a metal magazine and release.

The axis has a one-size fits all action. So if you're after a short action cartridge like a 308 (as you are) then you get a giant long action and giant long action magazine with a plastic spacer in the magazine to make the shorter rounds fit. The 111, on the other hand, has long and short actions. If you're looking for a 308, you want the Savage 11. (11 short action, 111 long action).

The 111 has the great savage PAD which is one of Savage's best features on any of their rifles. (accu-stock, accu-trigger, PAD) It's very soft and on most of their rifles including their most expensive ones. The cheapy Axis doesn't get it, however.

It's easy to install a limbsaver recoil pad on a 111 if you wanted to. They make a factory fit. The Axis, on the other hand has its recoil pad held in place with funny tabs on the bottom of the stock and is basically non-upgradeable.

The axis trigger is....well its weakest point. The 111 has a decent trigger. It's fully adjustable. A simply screw will adjust the pull weight and it can be adjusted pretty darn well down to 3.5lbs. No need to cut springs or anything like that which is required by the Axis. Some models of the 111 even come with an Accu-trigger.

The 111 has a nice fairly firm stock which will not flex with a bi-pod (different from Stevens 200 stock) while the axis has a stock which is known to flex and to break at the wrist when dropped. (see savageshooters forum).

Finally, the 111 has a nice blued finish. It's not perfect but it's a step up from the bead blasted (cost savings measure) finish on the axis which is cheap and kind of porous making it prone to rust if not cared for meticulously.

The 111 platform has been savage's main rifle line for decades and it has TONS of aftermarket accessories including stocks, rails, etc. The Axis has basically nothing.

The 111 has a steel trigger guard and metal surrounding the magazine well and a spring loaded retainer. The Axis uses plastic for all these parts.

The 111 is available in calibers larger than 30'06, the Axis is not.

The 111 has an open top receiver which allows easy feeding directly into the chamber. This is nearly impossible on the Axis.

The 111 has a three position safety while the Axis only has a two position safety.

Clearly, the 111 is a step up from the axis. It only costs something like $50-90 more...

The only thing the Axis has on the 111/11 is that it's lighter....because of all the plastic.
Idcurrie is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 01-04-2012, 03:32 PM

Take a gander at the Savage Shooters Forum. It'a a wonder they haven't recalled the bolts....yet. Having wheels and a hitch on your house is the only compelling reason to buy one.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-65 View Post
Take a gander at the Savage Shooters Forum. It'a a wonder they haven't recalled the bolts....yet. Having wheels and a hitch on your house is the only compelling reason to buy one.
They do have a fix. Just call them up and say you'd like it applied. They will tell you to send your bolt in.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Accuracy
Inexpensive
Quality

-Junk
-Cheap
-Ugly

Choose any Two,even though savage has all Three......
Old 01-04-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
-Junk
-Cheap
-Ugly

Next time you run into Perry at the 'hat tell him his savage palma gun is junlk,cheap and ugly.
Maybe he will invite you to shoot for pinks at 1,000 against your weatherby.
I know I would.

Cat
Old 01-04-2012, 04:02 PM

He didn't say it was inaccurate. He said it was cheap and ugly (they are). - especially the axis.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Next time you run into Perry at the 'hat tell him his savage palma gun is junlk,cheap and ugly.
Maybe he will invite you to shoot for pinks at 1,000 against your weatherby.
I know I would.

Cat
Even though I would be telling him the Truth,I wouldnt want to hurt his feelings,and loose my Weatherby

I'm not into shooting a 1000 yards,but if I was i'd be running A sako TRG 42,or something to that extent....Man guys and there Savage rifles...
Old 01-04-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
He didn't say it was inaccurate. He said it was cheap and ugly (they are). - especially the axis.
Cheap and ugly are all in a person's own eyes I suppose.
I don't find them as ugly as some rifles, and inexpensive is not automaticly mean cheap as some imply.
Cat
Old 01-04-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Even though I would be telling him the Truth,I wouldnt want to hurt his feelings,and loose my Weatherby

I'm not into shooting a 1000 yards,but if I was i'd be running A sako TRG 42,or something to that extent....Man guys and there Savage rifles...
The savage will stand right with the skos and anything else at 1,000.
I se no difference in people likeing savages as i do people liking the califorina school of gun style that Roy Weatherby promoted.
Cat
Old 01-04-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The savage will stand right with the skos and anything else at 1,000.
I se no difference in people likeing savages as i do people liking the califorina school of gun style that Roy Weatherby promoted.
Cat
UR Right,Each to there own I guess....
Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
They do have a fix. Just call them up and say you'd like it applied. They will tell you to send your bolt in.
After it fails to fire, they would be gettin more than the bolt back.
By the way cutting the striker spring into 3 pieces is hardly a "fix".
Old 01-04-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
-Junk
-Cheap
-Ugly

Hey Ty... Not everyone can afford a Copper are a Dakota ya know...
Old 01-04-2012, 07:39 PM

Bought three 2 .204s and a 22-250 better grouping than my Ruger heavy barrell @ 100....for the money an excellent buy...timiney trigger for 108$ if you cannot live with factory one...not sure why they never put the accutrigger in them.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Bought three 2 .204s and a 22-250 better grouping than my Ruger heavy barrell @ 100....for the money an excellent buy...timiney trigger for 108$ if you cannot live with factory one...not sure why they never put the accutrigger in them.
That would have added to the price, not sure how much, but touches like that are not usually found on "budget" or cheaper products.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:46 PM

Pikeslayer - you found them in 204? I didn't realize they even offered the axis in that cal. Where did you get yours?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 PM

Cabelas Edmonton....they were getting shipments every day and selling out the next...wouldnt even guess how many they sold in the last 2 months!!!!! Kind of scary reading some other posts with guys cutting springs to lighten trigger pull and giving them to a novice to use...Wow that really scares me...think id rather live with a heavy trigger than doing something like that and having a gun go off and kill someone....for another 110 bucks you could get a timmeny trigger!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:34 PM

Were they the same price as wholesale? Really want a 204 and that would be a nice way to introduce myself to one!

Tags
axis, buying, savage