Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-28-2009, 05:50 PM

Default 1st Time to PCR - ADVICE?

Im thinking of heading to PCR tomorrow for the first time. I was told to head South to Stavely then go West. (Leaving from CGY).

Any other suggestions or shortcuts.

Looking at some pics it appears people are fishing not far off shore by a campground. If anyone has any fishing suggestions that would be appreciated. Usually fish CVR. Just looking for a change of scenery and a good day of catch and release fishing.

Thanks

Old 12-28-2009, 05:59 PM

Go west of Stavely till you cross the bridge over the resevoir. Take your next main road south(left) a few km and finally turn back east on first road east following the signs past the campground and out to the boat launch. If walking out park here and walk straight out 3-4 hundred yards and start fishing. You will see the popular spots and can move from there. Can keep the ling if you want and pike as well.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:07 PM

Thanks OMEGA. Great Directions. It's going to be a solo day so if I get skunked again no one will know.

I wont even be keeping the Ling but thanks for the heads up. The last time I kept a fish was about 20 years ago. We were ice fishing Pine Lake and bagged 20+ perch back when the limits were higher. What a pain in the A** cleaning and not all were eaten. I vowed I would never again keep a fish I didnt intend on cleaning and eating.

Anyway should be an interesting adventure.

Take Care

Old 12-28-2009, 09:07 PM

Just getting back from there...still good action but not like it was two weeks ago for me anyway.

Between 4 of us we landed ~20 walleye and a dozen burbs between 2:00 and 6:30. Was a zoo out there...people fish quite close together if you stay near the access points. We found a spot that wasn't as good fishwise but was a little less traveled.

I cannot believe you have to release all those walleye...seems like killing a few would be good for the place.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:09 PM

just got back from there too. the eyes have a very high mercury level, you wouldnt want to eat them anyways. once it got dark the burbs started biting like crazy, not a lot of action during the daylight.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-28-2009, 09:18 PM

WOW, great results. Sounds like the Pike are limited. Hopefully there's some good action tomorrow.

Any good size walleye?

Thanks for the updates
Old 12-28-2009, 09:24 PM

Walleye are clones.....
Old 12-28-2009, 09:30 PM

Ya thats what it looks like from the pics and posts. Alot of small fish in PCR and alot of them. Oh well ....It WILL be good to catch a few regardless.

Ya never know what you might pull up da hole.

CR
Old 12-28-2009, 09:31 PM

did see a woman pull in a larger eye today, biggest one Ive seen out of there, and Ive seen a lot of them , always a chance at a 20 pound plus pike too, same situation with the mercury tho

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-28-2009, 09:35 PM

I'm hoping we'll hook into some burbs, or even a couple pike..I think I had enough PCR walleye this summer for a while..lol
Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 PM

they really started biting after 5:30 or so. even got a walleye after dark. up til then it was soooooooo slow almost packed it in, but Im stubborn

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-28-2009, 09:41 PM

How was fishing off a frozen dock??haha
Old 12-28-2009, 09:45 PM

I had my car parked on the ice about where the dock was, felt right at home

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-28-2009, 10:23 PM

So there is a high merc count in the walleye...I hope nobody is eating them cause there is a zero limit on wallers. burbs are better anyway
Old 12-28-2009, 10:26 PM

I hope everyone who poaches the eyes out of there glows in the dark

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 PM

Just a thought.. since burbs are eating pretty much the same forage as the eyes, wouldn't they also have relatively high mercury present in them?
Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM

the burbs store it in the guts, the walleye and pike in the meat or something like that. theres a few threads discussing it here somewhere.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-28-2009, 11:19 PM

was there sunday, fishing was steady, this was my first time fishing it. 12 burbs and 4 walleye. i fished right where the parking lot is off of 527 about 80 yards from shore. heading down thursday again
Old 12-29-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post
Just a thought.. since burbs are eating pretty much the same forage as the eyes, wouldn't they also have relatively high mercury present in them?

The mercury content in the burbot was last recorded as being lower than in the pike or the walleye. Still, it is probably best that women (especially those who are pregnant) and children have very limited consumption of them.

Edit: Whoops! Made an error when I looked at the chart. The downstream burbot have as much, or more, mercury in them than the pike. That is the more relevant comparison (downstream to downstream, not downstream to upstream).

Coffee #2 will help the mental faculties.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.

Last edited by DarkAisling; 12-29-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:03 PM

We were down on Sunday had a great day. We were on the ice by noon and had 3 burbs right away. One nice size around 3.5 lbs. The afternoon was steady we pulled out around midnight we ended up with 28 burbs and 16 eyes so it was a good way to start the season for us. The biggest eye was 20" and just over 2 lbs.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:51 PM

was a good day for us...17 burbot 2 walleye...only bad thing was losing a rod down on hole. Think it was likely a fair size pike because it didnt even jiggle the rod to just pulled it straight in....wasnt fast enough to save it
Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
was a good day for us...17 burbot 2 walleye...only bad thing was losing a rod down on hole. Think it was likely a fair size pike because it didnt even jiggle the rod to just pulled it straight in....wasnt fast enough to save it
wow,,,,a guy could find lottsa stuff in that lake,,,cameras,,rods,, mercury,, all kinda stuff
Old 12-30-2009, 02:13 AM

I can confirm Baitfishers claim regarding the lost rod. By the time we reacted to the sound of the bell and looked at the rod (Only 5 feet away) it was out of the holder and already headed down the hole. Miss Fisher made a diving attempt but the PCR Monster was too quick.

Amazing. Didnt even jingle the bell twice just one ting see ya later.

So yes add a little red fishing rod to the list of things resting somewhere in the frigid waters of PCR.

.....and that is not a fish story....
Old 12-30-2009, 06:36 AM

I can just picture her sliding face first across the ice, swearing like a truckermouth thats funny! must have been the Flames jersey slowing her down

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-30-2009, 07:00 AM

Default Tether your rods

The guys were kind of laughing at me at our last outing a few weeks back as I tether my rods to my shack on the inside a a spare trailer trire on the outside. Generally no problem but lost one quickly down the hole once and it has happened a few other times that tethering it saved the gear. When a monster grabs it sometimes you don't have time to get there. For the extra few seconds to clip it on the something it is well worth it.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:25 AM

Wayne, if Kipper was that quick the Flames would be leading the NHL

I just stood there stunned like Luongo

A rod is just a rod. It would have been interesting to see what was on the other end.

With the latest posts of items lost in PCR Iam thinking that a PCR Burb is using his new camera he found and taking pictures of a big pike that just got a new Rod and some little Walleye had better watch his A**.

Calgarygringo has a good idea with tethering the rods. I think I will use the "Ball & Chain" my buddys ex wife used on him and tie my rods to that the next time I go fishing. They may break it loose eventually but not without a good fight.

It was nice to chat and meet some forum members yesterday.

Good Luck to All and to all HAPPY NEW YEAR & HAPPY FISHING

CR
Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 AM

Just wondering if anyone can help with a depth chart for PCR?
Thanks
A.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:28 AM

sorry to hear about the rod....after we moved south the bite was on. 40 burbs and 20 stunted wallers. We were there until 11 heavy action from 8 till 11. Glad everyone had a good day. Heading to newel on thursday looking for the monsters. Tips would be nice but i know how some are any help would be nice this will be my first go at newel
Old 12-30-2009, 12:08 PM

Thanks Fish.

It seemed like people were more to the south. Nice to catch alot of fish but now I would like to get some quality as one person put it.

Please post your results for Newell. I have not been there yet and would like to try it once before March.

This weekend I will be in Saskatchewan so I will see what the Pike fishing is like up there.

Good Luck

CR
Old 01-08-2010, 01:39 PM

May I ask what people are using to catch all these fish, I am thinking of heading down there on Sunday with 2 families and would love the kids to catch a bunch of fish...Tx