Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-30-2009, 12:02 PM

Default Camera, Rod and Treasured Items - R.I.P.

As the 2009 Fishing Season comes to a close the total number of lost items in waters throughout Alberta continues to rise. More recently in PCR the "camera" belonging to FisherAlex and last night the "lil red rod" used by BaitFisher as it evaporated in thin air or more specifically went down the hole. Some items are gifts while others are purchased by the individual. Some hold meaning while others do not. It's not always the big fish that holds the greatest memory but the one that got away and that may not be limited to just our finned friends.

It is evident by reading the forum and meeting some members that alot of time, passion and effort is put into this sport we call fishing and at sometime everyone of us has lost something.

So to all the Camera's, Rods and Treasured Items that have found their way to the bottom of the cold waters we fish - may you R.I.P.

I thought it might be interesting to hear of some of everyones highlights for 2009 or some of the items lost to start the healing process.

Maybe someone can start a new thread on that or post them here.

Happy New Year and Happy Fishing

CR
Old 12-30-2009, 12:19 PM

I lost,,,very sadly I might add, 8 hours of life that I will never get back, freezing at badger and not getting one bite.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:26 PM

One of my favorite fly rod outfits, that I caught my first steelhead on back in Ontario now rests at the bottom of Maligne Lake, but I replaced it with a top notch Reddington so here's to making new memories with it!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:37 PM

Default battery

was changing out the battery on my aqua view when the (at least) dead battery went down the hole. what can you say right, s..t happens lol
Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 PM

After losing my hemostats for umpteen time and again I bought another set but this time the biggest, nicest and the most $$$ ever-- that way I'll never lose them. This summer at CV my son hooked a pike and with hesitation I handed him the stats he easily and safely removed the hooks dipped the stats in the water to clean them and then shook to dry them off and then in one motion he "FLICKED THEM OFF HIS FINGERS IN TO THE LAKE" and this being five months later I miss my nice stats all but just a memory now, but no--- I have it all on video.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:58 PM

Default fishing rod

my wife cast the line out with a brand new mepps spinner. Then released her grip on the rod because she thought that one off the boys (aged 2 was on the drivers seat) was falling in the water. So she went to grab him as I went for the rod with no luck on the rod. The boy was never going to fall in,he was safe.

Anyway a friend of her Uncles was fishing the same spot and caught the line and pulled up the rod and mentioned it to her Uncle.He told them he knows the owner of that rod. They kept it a secret from me and I got to open it for Christmas last year. I was really surprised. So I guess it was not lost for ever.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:11 PM

I lost an old beat up silver fly box on prairie creek last summer.
Somehow it slipped from an unzippered pocket into the mirky depths, likely to be washed downstream to the north saskatchewan in the spring runoff.
BUT what really hurts is knowing that the dozens of hours I spent tying the flies that were in that box went down the river with it.
I can only hope that somehow that fly box flipped open, the flies floated out and caught some major fish along the way
Old 12-30-2009, 01:24 PM

This year has been tough fo me as well ive lost a legend of a rod in pine as well as a brand new (2months old) camera, my wifes cell phone in the red deer river. Oh ya forgot to tie the end of the rope to the boat and lost a good anchor. If this year has taught me anything it to be more carefull in the next.......
Old 12-30-2009, 01:33 PM

Icefishing mid-March and neighbour brought his brand new radios too keep in touch on the lake. These were a Christmas present from his son and I leaned over the hole and down it went. Thank god I have an underwater camera as I sent it down the hole and sure enough there was the radio 20 feet under water. Hooked up the biggest 5 of diamonds I had and hooked it on the 3rd try. Brought it up but too much water. Gave it back to neighbour at the end of the day and he took it apart and dried it all out. He says it is working just fine but I don't think he will let me use it this spring ice fishing.

Dropped a few lures in the water changing hooks this summer. In too much of a hurry but only lost about $15 worth of stuff so a good year in my books.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Woke up in my shack on Gull last winter and had to call home for some reason. I couldnt find my cell and decided to start fishing anyways. Looked down the hole and there she was! I managed to retrieve it and dry it out, and guess what it still worked for a week or so... lucky thing it was a work phone!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:54 PM

I am so happy reading this thread, because I thought this stuff only happened to me!
But this year hasn't been too bad. I took my handicap nephew fishing this year and he snapped the ends off of 2 of my spinner rods closing the trunk of the car on them. Luckily I got to buy 2 new rods! My wife couldn't get too mad because it is her sisters son!
Old 12-30-2009, 02:38 PM

Default kids rod

I was fishing with my son at pigeon this summer and we were doing awsome, 100 or so fish, well we stopped for lunch, little did I know my son left his rod baited hanging off the side of the boat, sure as s..t wham rod starts going the length of the boat and with all my efforts it went overboard..Well this is my kids favorite rod so he starts crying that he lost his rod and all that went with that. So about an hour later i got him using my rod, a little worried as my setup is about $250.00 he gets a bite, but it feels feels kinda funny, wouldent you know it he caught the walleye with his rod attached to it still...now this time it was tears of joy....I tell ya fishing with the kids can be an adventure...
Old 12-30-2009, 02:49 PM

This year was good for me as no undue losses. 2008 was bad with a dropped fly reel and line while changing over, and a pair of prescription Maui Jims at 6 bills. I could see the Maui Jims fluttering to the bottom on the sonar after they fell off my face. New Croakies will prevent that from happening again.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:18 PM

Well seeing that I started this thread I had better fess up. I was fishing in one of the lakes in Meadow Lake, SK Provincial Park early in August. I was trolling and the GF was sitting up front enjoying the sun. I was thinking we needed some music so I brought up Youtube on my blackberry and started playing a few songs with some beat. Just me, the GF and youtube so I didnt think it would be to emabarassing to...you know goof around to the beat like a teenager on a speaker. The only problem was I didn't put by Blackberry down and it went flying out of my hand into the lake. No fish and no phone.

I got a call a few weeks later on my new phone from someone claiming to be Jack Pike.

Great posts and stories folks!!!

CR
Old 12-30-2009, 04:58 PM

Not much of a story to it, but I lost my phone to the NSR this summer

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-30-2009, 05:48 PM

Pretty lucky year for me. No major losses... jus lotsa bells flying off the rod, and a little bit of patience But I'm thinking next year, forget the fish, I'm going jigging for all your all gear! Jus kiddin, great posts and great thread Countryroadz!
Happy New Year All, bring it in steady and safe....like a big fish
Old 12-30-2009, 05:49 PM

I have never lost or broken anything! except backing the RV over my boat, my Ironman watch is on the Highwood somewhere, about 5 broken rod tips, and I might have left a woman out at Cataract-I haven't reproted her missing yet.

t
Old 12-30-2009, 05:52 PM

I wanna go back to PCR and get that rod back!!lmfao.....I'm surprised i havent hooked into must lost stuff this season..
Old 12-30-2009, 06:32 PM

I was at Chickakoo cleaning a trout to fry up for lunch. Me being the ******* I am set the gutted fish next to the hole while I rinsed my hands. Next thing I know I see a fish going down the hole. I looked over and it was the trout I had just gutted. The head was sitting on the ice just staring at me practically saying " You *******!"

Not a major loss but I still hate wasting a fish

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-30-2009, 07:16 PM

I spent last winter building a collection of crankbaits for the summer and had about 30 of them. First day out on the boat I was ripping across the lake to my favorite spot and when I get there I turn to the side of the boat to get them and there gone. They blew off the boat ledge and into the lake. That was an expensive 5 minute boat ride.
Dodger.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:11 PM

i was lucky enough to loose a tire on my boat trailer on the QE 2 comming home from pigeon this past season. damn princess auto bearings; only about 2 months old... lucky for me i was able to stop before i grinded through my axle mounts, and had a spare hub/rim/tire assy. that was good enough to limp home on.
a warning to others out there; if you use your trailer often (as in at least once a week), changing the bearings once a season is not enough, even though others may say that it's pleanty - the bearing that i lost was from my second set of the season and it had already run its course. apparently, submersing the bearings to launch a boat lets in more water than i ever woud have thought...
cheers
Old 12-30-2009, 11:39 PM

Well I sort of lost everything at the end of the open water season. I went out with my brother in law (who is 14, which is kind of odd) and my boat battery died (i forgot to charge night before) so i rowed us out. Caught on a fair size jack and my reel literally exploded when he tried to rip away on me. I thought bugger that and grabbed onto the line. pulled in the jack the way god intended and found he was wrapped in a massive PILE of weeds and i got him up into the air and was almost in the boat when he started floppin for his life and broke the tine of the hook off and swam away... probably no happier than I was. I landed the weeds.
Having done that I began rowing back to shore and the oarlock snapped near to the island at jackfish. Shaping up to be one of those days I saw a nice bigger boat tying up nearby and begged a tow to the shore. It was one of those days.
If it counts I proceeded to drive home and left all my stuff and the boat on the van for the night and someone stole the van. Recovered the boat and van but all gear and motor and such was gone. So... lol you could say I lost it all this year.
Also many pickerel rigs lay at the bottom of the pembinas rocky shores due to me! (and got my cell phone wet in same river and killed it lol)
Old 12-31-2009, 07:48 AM

I lost a cell phone down the hole in my built fishing hut. When it rang I pulled it out of my pocket, it slipped and ricocheted off the corners and in the hole. I was wet up to the elbows trying to quickly save it but all I got was wet. My friend laughed his ass off as I am notorious to breaking and loosing phones. I didn't think it was so funny @$400.00 a pop!

Was trout fishing a lake that has big trout and had two rods in their holes when the rod I wasn't manning was getting bites. I raced over and was playing with it when the other rod started getting bites. Dropped the rod I had in my hand on the ice, not back in the holder, and raced to the other one. Out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw the one laying on the ice move, looked again and poof, it slid across the ice and down the hole. Only thing is the rod was the wifes and it had an expensive little reel on it. I didn't tell her but when she asked where her rod was when we went fishing I had to come clean.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:11 AM

My buddy just made a cast with his fly rod on a small lake with his nice Sage rod and Hardy reel. He puts the rod down and grabs the oars...one pull on the oars...a big rainbow takes the fly and the rod goes flying out the end of the boat. It's sad to watch over a $1000 bucks swim away....
Same thing happened to me but I was in my tube and was able to catch up to the rod while the fish was jumping. You never know when they are going to bite.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:26 AM

Our new Digger Anchor lies at the bottom of PCR Note to self....check knots and clips each time you go out
Old 12-31-2009, 08:58 AM

We lost lots of hooks, thankfully no expensive stuff. But my husband did lose his favorite "gilligans" fishing hat on one of the resevoirs this past summer after the wind blew it off while kayaking! lol What was funny was me trying to lift it up with my oar but when I tried to lift it up I actually pushed it down and then it sank! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:31 PM

I lost my figure.

Don't think I'll find it in the bottom of a lake, though. Won't find it at the bottom of a bag of potato chips, either.

I smell a New Year's resolution coming on.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:46 PM

Fishing in Kootenay Lake and tossed my anchor out without realizing it wasn't tied to the boat.

Fishing Bow River in my inflatable, got too close to the tree's and had my good rod snag a tree and fall out of the boat in deep fast water.

Lost an ice fishing rod at Strubel Lake. no bites all day, put rod down for one minute to get something and got to watch it fly into the hole and gone.

Forgot to put drain plug into the hole in my boat and damn near sank the boat.

Miscalculated my speed when coming into shore and launched the family overboard. Learned some nasty words on that one. lmao!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
I lost an old beat up silver fly box on prairie creek last summer.
Somehow it slipped from an unzippered pocket into the mirky depths, likely to be washed downstream to the north saskatchewan in the spring runoff.
BUT what really hurts is knowing that the dozens of hours I spent tying the flies that were in that box went down the river with it.
I can only hope that somehow that fly box flipped open, the flies floated out and caught some major fish along the way
Thats what happens when people fish my river
J.K i know exactly how you feel, that little gem of a creek has at least a months worth of my wages. Everything from phones, to hats, to pol. glasses, to full flyboxes as well.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:26 PM

When I was about 17 (16 years ago) I felt all manly taking my father's aluminum and 10 horse out with my buddies by ourselves (he wasn't feeling all that well and didn't plan on fishing until the next day). Anchored in a spot, caught a few fish, decided to head into camp for lunch. The anchor was situated right near the outboard.. well I forgot to pull it up and snap went the rope. Bye bye anchor.

At that point, I wasn't panicking too much - my father always kept a spare anchor in the truck. Brought it out for the evening.

Caught a few fish.. time to head in..

I did the exact same thing. Bye bye anchor. I couldn't believe it.

I ran into Lac La Biche early the next morning and thank god squirrleys had a few anchors for sale. Got it back to the lake before my father was planning on fishing. He didn't notice anything as the anchor looked similar to the first one I lost.

He always never mentioned anything about his backup.. must've assumed he misplaced it.