Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2010, 04:53 AM

Default You know when your in over your head when!

I didn't want to hijack the Sylvan Lake Monster Pike post so I started this one. This is for those who ended up hooking a fish or close to it and you know the battle is over before it began because of your gear.

I have had 2 times where I new I was done with the battle before it ever began!

1st time was at Badger, I set up a Pike line then went real close to shore by the dam and drilled a hole for some Whitefish. I peeled off 10' of line from an old reel and cut it and threw on a wire worm. So I'm laying down on the ice and I have an old blanket over my head jigging for Whites in about 3' of water. Then this monster Pike comes threw and "GULP" takes my wire worm, man talk about a helpless feeling as that line slowly starts going threw my pinched fingers trying to hold on. I'm sure that Pike never even new / felt me trying to hang onto that line.

2nd time was down South on a little stream with a 4 weight fly rod and I threw a small bead head nymph under a log jam when boom the line starts heading up stream at a screaming rate , I tried to slow the fish down but it was totally useless. Then when I was at the backing and it was going around the bend "snap" the line went limp and the non-battle was over.

Dodger.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:00 AM

I was surf fishing in Malibu with a 12' rod and 25# line. Bait was a 8" squid. Something took the bait and headed for Mexico, no head shakes or slowing down. After 200 yards of line peeled off I cranked down the drag and pointed the rod to snap the line. Could have been a white bass (over 50 pounds), a seal or a shark.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:05 AM

Thats what makes fishing fun, the unexpected

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 AM

Fishing Marie lake last summer for walleyes, jig , no leader ! 20 pd plus pike ,...got him to go by the boat once ! couldn't see the jig(it was deep), when that fish had enough playtime, he just gave one good shake and swam away , leaving me to cry !
Old 01-22-2010, 08:58 AM

Fishing Sylvan with a friend jigging for walleye. Friend caught fish that was definitely no walleye with 6 or 8 lb line, no leader, small hook. Thought it was a done deal but to our surprise using a 25 year old net we were able to catch the 19 pound pike just in time for the jig to go straight.

Down at Newell the wife caught assumably a pike that we couldn't control. So dissappointing as first real time with something more than one or two pounds on her line. That outfit at 17 lb line on it which normally isn't much of an issue. Perhaps we'll start looking at braided line.

Also at Newell, fish hit and didn't stop. Pealed all the line off the real before we could even get the boat pointed in the right direction to try to gain on it.

There's some monsters out there for sure and as exciting as it is, a bit dissappointing, but make for good chatter.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:45 AM

I was fishing the highwood last season. I saw a bull waiting at the end of a hole,i cast to him and bam! Fish on. It pulled hard. My first thought was 'my rods gonna break! I just got here'. he stripped most of my fly line, bent my rod to where i thought this is it, im done and then as quickly as it happened it was over ;fish gone. I was sure that my fly was gone. It wasnt, but that #4 streamer hook was bent almost straight!
I hope it happens again!

Fishstix!!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:47 AM

Default Slave Lake Shaws Point

Went fishing for my STAG, we had a competition who ever caught the biggest fish WON the trophy, it was funny cause we purchase a trophy with a plaque SO there was definetly bragging rights. As expected everyone thought the trophy was going to me cause I have this horse shoe luck...we not even 1/2hr in fishing BANG the fight was on...25 minutes if not more battling with the beast!! Made it's way under the boat and GONE...end up the HOOK bent straight, we were all shocked! Word of mouth went around and guess there is a monster in that area I was in and some have manage to pull this fish in BUT lost it when trying to pull it in and I guess it's like 4ft +..so ya didnt win the trophy BUT my bro-in law who has nevered fish caught a 34'' PIKE with my ROD of coarse!
Old 01-22-2010, 10:00 AM

I hear you on the Newell monsters, I have had several break-offs & when I finally upgraded my line to stop the break-offs, I started straightening 3x strong trebles on my cranks! My most heart breaking occurance happened last March at Gull.

Was out with my dad & oldest son on a nice, sunny Sunday when my rod went off. Set the hook & the line immediately heads for Bently at full steam! It's a heavy outfit so I finally get the fish to the hole but I can't get it turned up no matter what I try & it's a 10" hole Spent over ten minutes trying to get it up with shovel handles, ice scooper handles, etc. As a last ditch effort I pass the rod to my dad & get the auger to try & drill a siamese hole. You can imagine what happened next, the auger catches the line & it's bye-bye monster pike. I got to look at that fish for a long time & even touch it with my finger tips & I know that pike was easily 25-28 lbs
Old 01-22-2010, 12:06 PM

I love these type of stories.
Last spring on Pine Coulee after catching a whack of little Walleye I headed into some shallow water to cast a Rapala for Pike. I left on my little 4" leader for jig heads then I attached my Rapala. As I'm bringing it in this monster Pike comes out of no where and opens his monster mouth and the hole works goes in and then before the rod even felt him the line went limp.
Dodger.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:39 PM

I was bottom bouncing for springs on the kitimat 5 or 6 years ago. It had been a slow day, a few chum that were over 20 lbs. but no springs. I ended up wading into a pretty nasty area with lots of submerged trees, steep banks, you name it. Found a decent place to cast from and started fishing. About 10 minutes into it, I felt a bump on the line so I set the hook, HARD!! The reel was filled with 25 pound mono and the drag was cranked down as far as it could go. Well, it was like hooking a naval submarine, one headshake and then it turned and headed for the ocean. The line was coming off almost like I had it in freespool, and I had no where to go because I wouldn't have been able to hold the rod and wade downstream to the beach at the same time. As I started to see the metal spool underneath the line, I tried one last ditch effort to turn the fish by putting my thumb on the spool and bearing down. The result was a nasty line burn and a snapped line. To this day I still wonder how big it was.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:36 PM

I also was in Kitimat, but this year, fishing right across the hatchery at about 9 at night. There was a group of us and we had that whole section of the river to ourselves all night. Anyways the darkness started to encroach on our day of fishing so of course I pull out the "alright boys, one last cast." Lo and behold I hooked into something and man was it ever big. 10.5 foot medium-heavy rod with 300 yards of 25 pound mono. The fish would pull and you could literally here the line stretch and hold together. Anyways the fish came up once and thats when I started to shake. Looked like an easy 60 pounder. Unfortunatley it just kept peeling line and more line. Then after a run down the beach in a last ditch effort to bring it in, I finally couldnt run anymore and I had about a yard left of line on the reel. So I had to snap her off....to bad would have been some fish. Talk about the most dissapointing 15 minutes ever reeeling in 300 yards of slack line.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:41 PM

We were on a navy frigate off the coast of hawaii having a BBQ after 5 weeks of sailing. One of the guys brings out a tuna rod with 80 pound braid and starts jigging. Hooks into a beast, after fighting for 45 minutes it swims out from under the boat and everyone see this 14 foot Tiger shark. The guy is all excited wants us to lower one of the boats to try and actually land it. The Coxs'n (One of the bosses) hears him say this and comes over and cuts the line. "I don't" think so was all he said. The look on his (angler) face was priceless.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I love these type of stories.
Last spring on Pine Coulee after catching a whack of little Walleye I headed into some shallow water to cast a Rapala for Pike. I left on my little 4" leader for jig heads then I attached my Rapala. As I'm bringing it in this monster Pike comes out of no where and opens his monster mouth and the hole works goes in and then before the rod even felt him the line went limp.
Dodger.
Im one of those who met the big dock pike there. I was using my microlight rod and old 4 pound test, lots for the eyes, but not for Moby pike. She ate my walleye whole, I did manage to pull her to the surface but couldnt even slow it down. It looked about as wide as the walleyes were long at the time Still waiting for my rematch there.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-22-2010, 05:55 PM

Wayne, I'll take you out on the boat at Pine Coulee this spring for some big Pike. The nice thing is it's away from the crowds.
Dodger.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:01 PM

sounds good to me. I want my jig back

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-22-2010, 06:04 PM

Took my kids out last summer on the N. Saskatchewan River (Borden Bridge area north of Saskatoon). A reliable source told me of a secluded stretch where we might pick up some walleye. He also warned of the infamous sturgeon - should have taken heed Set up a rod for the kids using 8lb test and a pickerel rig with a nightcrawler on the bottom hook. Just getting the next rod set up when the first one went. Older son picked it up but thought it was snagged. I took over over, felt it give a little so I give it more pressure. About 5 seconds later a tail appears on the surface a good 4 feet behind where the line is going into the water. Dad then teaches the 8 yr old & 10 yr old a couple of new words Managed to get the sturgeon into the shallows - then it realizes it is hooked & decides to go for a swim. There is nothing I can do but hold on & pray. After about 30 yards the 8 lb test breaks - but at least the kids got a good look at it.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Took my kids out last summer on the N. Saskatchewan River (Borden Bridge area north of Saskatoon). A reliable source told me of a secluded stretch where we might pick up some walleye. He also warned of the infamous sturgeon - should have taken heed Set up a rod for the kids using 8lb test and a pickerel rig with a nightcrawler on the bottom hook. Just getting the next rod set up when the first one went. Older son picked it up but thought it was snagged. I took over over, felt it give a little so I give it more pressure. About 5 seconds later a tail appears on the surface a good 4 feet behind where the line is going into the water. Dad then teaches the 8 yr old & 10 yr old a couple of new words Managed to get the sturgeon into the shallows - then it realizes it is hooked & decides to go for a swim. There is nothing I can do but hold on & pray. After about 30 yards the 8 lb test breaks - but at least the kids got a good look at it.

It's always great when the kids are involved with the fun / crazy stuff when were in the outdoors. 15 years from now they will post the story about when they were young and fishing the N. Saskatchewan.........

Dodger.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:22 PM

was fishinf the seymour river in bc... the previous day I had broke my rod lifting a 19 inch rockie up a 15 foot bank straight up, the pool below was deep blue and calm. I went back the next day with my fly rod and spin reel on the end ( not easy to cast and reel) so im using the smallest panther martin possible and catch a few tiny rainbows...then im reeling in my tiny spinner and this GIGANTIC fish comes up from the bottom, easily 3 feet long, either was a salmon or rainbow (steelhead) I don't know. So it calmly opens its mouth and swallows the spinner, I set the hook with my 5 weight fly rod and the fish doesn't even react, he calmly swam away into the pool with no worries. I waited 20 mins pulling and tugging with no luck, I gave one last big tug and my line snapped. Being 16 and having that happen was unreal, rode my bike back to camp in a frenzy to tell my story
Old 01-22-2010, 06:56 PM

I had this one instance on wabamun, I Was handed a rod With not nearly enough Line For the depth we were fishing, i only had an addition 2 or 3 feet left for the fish to run with, I Set my hook to the propper depth and started jigging, and the 3'rd pike i tied into. I Gave a strong Pull; Felt the Weight of This Monster, And the second the weight hit, He gave a good tug, and tore all the remaining line off the rod, I managed to throw my rod across the ice and leap down and grab the end of the line before he Pulled it under, Got it into my fingers And soon wrapped around my hand, (Foolish idea) He Took a run Wich resulted me being pulled back down to the ice, Thus Butchering up my fingers, One Right to the bone, And then all Went loose. Snapped at the Leader, *****K
hahaha, I Didnt have a chance,
Old 01-23-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
I had this one instance on wabamun, I Was handed a rod With not nearly enough Line For the depth we were fishing, i only had an addition 2 or 3 feet left for the fish to run with, I Set my hook to the propper depth and started jigging, and the 3'rd pike i tied into. I Gave a strong Pull; Felt the Weight of This Monster, And the second the weight hit, He gave a good tug, and tore all the remaining line off the rod, I managed to throw my rod across the ice and leap down and grab the end of the line before he Pulled it under, Got it into my fingers And soon wrapped around my hand, (Foolish idea) He Took a run Wich resulted me being pulled back down to the ice, Thus Butchering up my fingers, One Right to the bone, And then all Went loose. Snapped at the Leader, *****K
hahaha, I Didnt have a chance,

I get a kick out of how there is always this connection of " Pike to loss of human blood " !

Dodger.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I get a kick out of how there is always this connection of " Pike to loss of human blood " !

Dodger.
I always seem to catch more fish if I donate a little blood too

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-23-2010, 09:26 AM

Default monster pike

I was out fishing one time at Rattlesnake Dam (pre new dam) fishing off of the rocks. I had lost several of my brother-in-laws lures getting hooked on the bottom and he was getting a little miffed at the birds nests I was creating with his open face reel suddenly I hooked into what I thought was another snag when the line started peeling off and I got my knuckles rapped trying to grab the handle..I got spooled and the line broke along with part of the reel...the bad part was that he never believed I had a fish on... he never took me fishing again!
Old 01-23-2010, 11:40 AM

Default Fishing Livingstone trib last year

Having a fun day fishing for cutties and hooked a small one with a beadhead. Next thing a dark looking bull comes out of the rocks and chases this small cuttie around the pool. What happens next really confused me. My line went heavy and I was now hooked onto the bull! I landed him and he was hooked in the lower jaw with the beadhead. No sign of the cuttie. I estimated him around 7-9 pounds.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Gone Hunting

2 years ago at sylvan I was catching some small whites in shallow water. I also had a line with a smelt on set up in 20ish feet. Every now and then Id look up to make sure the bobber was still on the ice and 5 minutes after I checked once I looked up again an my rod was gone lol. Rod holder stuck part way down the hole with no rod in it My idea was to just leave the bail open so the fish could pull the line out but apparently my line was tangled..

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 01-23-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter3-0 View Post
2 years ago at sylvan I was catching some small whites in shallow water. I also had a line with a smelt on set up in 20ish feet. Every now and then Id look up to make sure the bobber was still on the ice and 5 minutes after I checked once I looked up again an my rod was gone lol. Rod holder stuck part way down the hole with no rod in it My idea was to just leave the bail open so the fish could pull the line out but apparently my line was tangled..
I sacrificed a rod to the lake gods at McGregor. I had a rod jammed in the rocks while I was Goose hunting. I was facing away from the lake watching some Geese heading toward my decoys and then they drifted away. I turned around to check my rod and it was gone ????
Dodger.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Thats what makes fishing fun, the unexpected
ha ha u said it bud... its all about the unexpected... if it wasnt for the ones that got away the ones u do catch wouldnt feel so damn good
Old 01-23-2010, 02:27 PM

Me and my brother were camping at Travers on a hot summer weekend. By mid afternoon it was time for a nap as we both had to many wobbly pops. I climbed into my tent and he decided to snooze in his lawn chair under clear skies and +30 sunshine. I woke up a couple hours later and as I'm walking toward him his rod is bent rite over just a bouncing. I woke him up and he grabbed the rod and had this huge fight going which was becoming apparent he was losing. Then the rod went limp, he started to reel it in and was saying he must be dragging in a bunch of weed due to the resistance. As the line comes in there is a good size Burbot on it " HALF DIGESTED " he literaly sucked his original catch from the belly of another fish. Also his red face had nothing to do with being embarrassed about missing his original bite.

Dodger.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Gone Hunting

You know you're over your head , when you head out 55 miles NE of Cancun and tie into a 7foot plus Sail Fish, normally a Fly Rod guy who gets excited about a 20" Brown on the Bow...it was a blast!!!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 03:38 PM

Ha ha good stuff! Fishing outta a kayak in the great Pacific makes for some good "over ur head" xps too. Big fish....small boat = good times
and Yup, if it wasn't for the ones that get away....I'd prolly stop fishin
Ya right
Old 01-23-2010, 04:09 PM

yesterday on the ice my tip up went down then my rod got a massive hit about 10 feet away . Got to the tip up and it snapped off my 20 pound test check the rod also broke off my jighead , we figured some big pike cruised through our set up . I never even got a chance to fight it , the tip up was a freespooler and my drag on the rod was really set light . I'm looking to upgrade my heavy line I guess