Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-07-2010, 11:31 PM

Default glenmore reservoir

Can you eat the fish that come out of glenmore reservoir.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:35 PM

well we drink the water so I'd say they are ok to eat
Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 AM

Technically, only south Calgary drinks from there and those people seem a little funny you know.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:38 AM

true although I did find a dead deer floating in bearspaw
Old 02-08-2010, 08:06 AM

The smaller fish are great, but a couple of years ago my dad pulled two 6 pound browns outta there...acrid and muddy! Yech!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapshooter View Post
Can you eat the fish that come out of glenmore reservoir.
I ate quite a few pike from there - still alive and looking good
Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
I ate quite a few pike from there - still alive and looking good
If they're still alive and looking good - maybe you should chew your food better!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:46 PM

Default Hard water glenmore

The regs say open all year. So why is the fire dept there in roughly six min if u were to start fishing????
Old 02-08-2010, 09:50 PM

Because the city is run by idiots with nothing better to do....
Old 02-08-2010, 10:03 PM

For some reason no one is allowed on the ice.Probably because it's our drinking water.But in the same breath,why are people allowed on Bearspaw and Ghost.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander B View Post
The regs say open all year. So why is the fire dept there in roughly six min if u were to start fishing????
Because as soon as somebody sees somebody else on the ice, people assume that it is bad and that they will obviously fall in...even if there is 18" of ice on the reservoir. And we have to respond...every time.

The public equates ice with a catastrophe because that is definitely true on the Bow in the winter. We don't want anyone on the Bow at all in the winter because of the unstable ice conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
Christine...I'm not sure how to take that comment. Are you referring to CFD? If so, I assure you...we have plenty to do and we only go out if you call. So you might want to clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Valy View Post
For some reason no one is allowed on the ice.Probably because it's our drinking water.But in the same breath,why are people allowed on Bearspaw and Ghost.
I have read the city bylaw pertaining to Glenmore res. and I do not see any prohibition on ice fishing. Where did you read/hear that? I have seen other posts on this forum and other forums stating such, but I haven't seen hard proof of that. I am going to check with the city.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:06 PM

So how many people actually do fish this place then???? Kinda hard to do if the residents surrounding it consist of the "sky is falling" crowd
Old 02-08-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander B View Post
Because as soon as somebody sees somebody else on the ice, people assume that it is bad and that they will obviously fall in...even if there is 18" of ice on the reservoir. And we have to respond...every time.

The public equates ice with a catastrophe because that is definitely true on the Bow in the winter. We don't want anyone on the Bow at all in the winter because of the unstable ice conditions.

Quote:
Christine...I'm not sure how to take that comment. Are you referring to CFD? If so, I assure you...we have plenty to do and we only go out if you call. So you might want to clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Valy View Post
I have read the city bylaw pertaining to Glenmore res. and I do not see any prohibition on ice fishing. Where did you read/hear that? I have seen other posts on this forum and other forums stating such, but I haven't seen hard proof of that. I am going to check with the city.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post

I see nothing in the regs either about ice fishing either , I thought there used to be no ice fishing there but maybe thats changed regs say open all year
Old 02-08-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
If they're still alive and looking good - maybe you should chew your food better!
It is me not pike... topic was about EATING them
Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 AM

Default ice fishing glenmore

the signs at the boat ramps all say no ice fishing. and thats to bad because its a fishery that produces well
Old 02-09-2010, 07:39 AM

we did try it a long time ago , all we could get was slush through the hole . I think the level is too unstable to ice fish personally. then again apparently my bosses are all idiots
Old 02-09-2010, 08:36 AM

I heard it was a city bylaw that prevented people from walking on the ice, or commencing any activities on the ice.

My thoughts are: It's a reservoir. The water levels change, and with the population density of Calgary, and it being the closest water body that would produce fish year round, I am sure it would see a lot of fishing pressure if it were legal to fish there.
The last thing the city of Calgary or the Calgary Fire Department needs is to baby sit ice anglers, or face contaminating our drinking water with cadavers, when someone falls through, or drives on the ice. Imagine the number of calls the fire department does not get because going on the ice is prohibited... It's a simple way to save money, and protect our drinking water.

By making it a city bylaw not to venture out on the ice, it protects what is a coveted resource - our drinking water. So what if you can't ice fish it!? There are plenty of other lakes around that produce fish, it's just one relatively small reservoir.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:47 AM

^^
I agree.

I think its because if the water draw gets too high, there can be a substantial gap between the ice and the surface of the water.

Fall into something like that and you’re not getting out.

That being said, every time I go by there, there is ski/foot prints all along the ice. I’d bet it’s safe the majority of the time.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:

I have never felt compelled to post more than an occasional short post in answer to questions on this board, but this post, which showed up in an thread about fishing Glenmore Reservoir hits below the belt and is an insult to the fine folks who risk their lives daily to save people who've gotten themselves in untenable positions, sometimes by doing bonehead things.

Here's hoping that this post was a trigger finger response to something bothering you, Baitfisher, because I can say with reasonable certainty that Fire, Police and EMS have lots better to do with their time than pluck people out of our rivers, lakes and reservoirs.

I can also say with clarity that the legislation was created by the "idiots" to keep the people of Calgary safe, since not everyone has the good sense to exercise good judgment.

The Glenmore Park Bylaw can be found at http://tiny.cc/bylaws403 and the Water Utility Bylaw can be found at http://tiny.cc/IyWEx. Here is a blurb that Orv found on the subject and posted on another board.

i don,t think it is allowed for ice fishing. dug up this old article from a couple years ago
CITYBEAT - CITY OF CALGARY PRESS RELEASE
-----------------------------------------------------------------

In response to public inquiries, citizens are reminded that
they are prohibited from entering the water or walking on the
ice on the Glenmore Reservoir for any purpose, including ice
fishing, without special permission from the Director of The
City of Calgary Parks.

These bylaws are in place to protect this vital source of
drinking water and to ensure clean, potable drinking water
for all Calgarians.

Animal & Bylaw Services, along with their local public safety
partners, would like to remind citizens about water safety
regarding ice.

Citizens are strongly urged to stay off of all river ice and
to use extreme caution on ice covered lakes. Water levels
rise and fall this time of year resulting in weak spots in
the ice. The city is concerned about the safety of citizens
who can fall through weak areas without warning, become
submerged in the water and unable to reach safety above the
level of the ice.

For more information on bylaws concerning the use of the
Glenmore Reservoir or bodies of water in city parks, visit
www.calgary.ca/bylaws then click bylaws of frequent reference
and Glenmore Park or Parks and Pathways Bylaw.

hope this helps

orv.

Baitfisher, I'm sure you meant no harm in your post and I'm positive that lots of people are sometimes frustrated by what goes on at City Hall, but your post sure could be felt as a slap in the face to those who try to keep this City running safely and smoothly. I read most of the posts on this board and know that you're a well-liked and respected member. However, this isn't about fishing. It's about making an off-handed remark about a group of "idiots." If you don't like the way the City is run, you could help change things. If you feel that the City is mismanaged, you could always run for office or do community work for positive change. But if you do nothing, then expect to receive as much as you contribute.

I apologize for the lengthy rant and hope that I haven't hurt your feelings. Because I'm an infrequent poster, I understand that some might feel that I don't have the "right" to express myself like someone who posts regularly.

Deb
Old 02-09-2010, 11:24 AM

It wasnt meant as a shot at the ems/fire dept, moreso towards our government...man some people are freakin touchy on here..
Old 02-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post

I have never felt compelled to post more than an occasional short post in answer to questions on this board, but this post, which showed up in an thread about fishing Glenmore Reservoir hits below the belt and is an insult to the fine folks who risk their lives daily to save people who've gotten themselves in untenable positions, sometimes by doing bonehead things.

Here's hoping that this post was a trigger finger response to something bothering you, Baitfisher, because I can say with reasonable certainty that Fire, Police and EMS have lots better to do with their time than pluck people out of our rivers, lakes and reservoirs.

I can also say with clarity that the legislation was created by the "idiots" to keep the people of Calgary safe, since not everyone has the good sense to exercise good judgment.

The Glenmore Park Bylaw can be found at http://tiny.cc/bylaws403 and the Water Utility Bylaw can be found at http://tiny.cc/IyWEx. Here is a blurb that Orv found on the subject and posted on another board.

i don,t think it is allowed for ice fishing. dug up this old article from a couple years ago

City of Calgary Parks.

for all Calgarians.

regarding ice.

level of the ice.

hope this helps

orv.

Baitfisher, I'm sure you meant no harm in your post and I'm positive that lots of people are sometimes frustrated by what goes on at City Hall, but your post sure could be felt as a slap in the face to those who try to keep this City running safely and smoothly. I read most of the posts on this board and know that you're a well-liked and respected member. However, this isn't about fishing. It's about making an off-handed remark about a group of "idiots." If you don't like the way the City is run, you could help change things. If you feel that the City is mismanaged, you could always run for office or do community work for positive change. But if you do nothing, then expect to receive as much as you contribute.

I apologize for the lengthy rant and hope that I haven't hurt your feelings. Because I'm an infrequent poster, I understand that some might feel that I don't have the "right" to express myself like someone who posts regularly.

Deb
great response and you have just as much right as anyone else on here to post regardless of how many posts you have . thanks for the info
Old 02-09-2010, 12:18 PM

Default Agreed!!!!

Quote:

City of Calgary Parks.

for all Calgarians.

regarding ice.

level of the ice.

hope this helps

orv.

Deb
Deb,
Thank you for clearing that up, and I couldn't agree with you more about the fine City of Calgary workers.
Chris
Old 02-09-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
...man some people are freakin touchy on here..

So they should be! I would gather that Deb has something to do with our leadership in Calgary, and she was upset that an off hand remark, which is biased and misinformed, was posted in a way that had no positive contribution to the subject what-so-ever.

Not to mention you insulted everyone who works to keep people like yourself safe and sound in our city. You may not have intended to do so, if that's the case I suggest you use the 'Preview Post' button more often.

I agree with Deb, and TROOPER: If you don't like what you've got, why don't you change it!

Thank you Deb for taking the time to post an answer, and some very useful information.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Deb
Nothing says you have to post a lot to have an opinion. Or any more or less right to express yourself than anyone else. Feel free to post what you like, at least yours has basis in fact and makes sense

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-09-2010, 06:06 PM

You cant swim in it so you cant walk on it. It is a Calgary bylaw. The difference between Ghost, Barespaw and Glenmore, is that Glenmore is surrounded by a large park on all sides. Which is heavily used by dogs and people. To be honest i don't think that treatment plant could handle the filtration if we were allowed to go swimming.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:58 PM

Default boat club waste

I am not hell bent on fishing glenmore in the winter, but the regs should be adjusted. Slightly more disturbing is the bottles of urine that can be found along the shore in summer. I can only assume they are being launched overboard from the well hydrated rowing/sailing club members. ewwwwwwww!!!!
(and im talking about more than one or two)
Old 02-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Nothing says you have to post a lot to have an opinion. Or any more or less right to express yourself than anyone else. Feel free to post what you like, at least yours has basis in fact and makes sense
Thanks for that Wayne.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Leight View Post
Thanks for that Wayne.
my goodness, 2 comments in one day!!! Im all aquiver!!!!! thank you Bud for making my week just that much more special!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-09-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
my goodness, 2 comments in one day!!! Im all aquiver!!!!! thank you Bud for making my week just that much more special!
And people say sarcasm isn't readable in font...lmfao....guess he had to kiss someone's you know what at some point.