Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2010, 02:03 PM

Default Want to go for burbs.

Hey everyone,

I am hoping to get out this Saturday and maybe hit up Gull lake for some Burbs, Whites and perch if I can find the fish and get some good hook sets.
Just wondering if anyone would care to share info on spots where to try, I plan on hitting Brownlows first as this is the only place that I know of..lol Have only hit gull a few times.
I have an Idea as to what I will need to use for lures and bait.

Or if anyone has any other recommendations as where to go to target these three species.

And of course if anyone would like to meet up and get in a day of fishing I always enjoy the company.

Cheers,

Anvil
Old 02-23-2010, 02:07 PM

I should mention I might sneak out to Wizard for a few hours tonight, I have heard there are burbot in there. But not 100% sure.

Cheers.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:32 PM

What happened when BBJ kidnapped you? Details needed...
Old 02-23-2010, 03:25 PM

I have been having good luck with a manchow minnow spoon with a smelt or minnow 6 inches off the bottom bouncing the dirt
Old 02-23-2010, 04:22 PM

anvil wizard has burbs in there. dangle bait right on the bottom 15-25 ft of water. i caught quite a few just off the campground. good luck.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:31 PM

Was out at gull today. The fish are definatley there atleast whites and some perch. There are some big jack in there to. But as far as getting some on the ice well thats a different story but all we were using to bring them in was pink or brass wire worm with a beed head and a pink maggot from the chestomere store. Had some good strikes and i believe we were on south east side of lake to the right of all the huts in about 8 to 12 feet of water.

Good luck
Old 02-23-2010, 04:50 PM

I always go on at the North west side at that little store & head south down the beach to just off the 1st point. 8 to 10 FOW. Usually see lots of everything but hooking em is a different story as we all know!
Old 02-23-2010, 05:36 PM

when we had the gathering I fished just out from the ramp at Brownlows, theres a nice holiday trailer on the ice, and a bit further theres a little black wooden shack. right near there we saw some big perch and some pike, and caught a couple burbs too. thats where I got my 6 pound 9 ouncer. on a herring I was just lifting and letting fall to the bottom.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-23-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anvil View Post
Hey everyone,

I am hoping to get out this Saturday and maybe hit up Gull lake for some Burbs, Whites and perch if I can find the fish and get some good hook sets.

And of course if anyone would like to meet up and get in a day of fishing I always enjoy the company.

Cheers,

Anvil
Thinking of the same thing today...funny huh....as the jacks have not been biting for us on Lake Isle the last two weeks.....not even touching the bait....so time to switch it up for a week or two.

If your on the ice Saturday, come say hi, Black Sport Q/C Dodge 3500.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone would care to share info on spots where to try, I plan on hitting Brownlows first as this is the only place that I know of..lol Have only hit gull a few times.
I have an Idea as to what I will need to use for lures and bait.

Or if anyone has any other recommendations as where to go to target these three species.

Cheers,

Anvil
hey man.. u should try lac la nonne for burbs... its alot closer and the chances are alot better... plus the whites are fair there too... its only 45 mins from the north side .... pm me if u want a killer spot that an old local gave me a few days ago and we caught a 5 lb and 9 lb burb on .... perch are pretty scarce there tho... 1 local also told me there are 20 lb pike but all we seen on cam the other day were 5-10 lb.... really skinny long lookin things
Old 02-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Thinking of the same thing today...funny huh....as the jacks have not been biting for us on Lake Isle the last two weeks.....not even touching the bait....so time to switch it up for a week or two.

i had the same problem with pike on snipe lake and lac la nonne last week... watching them on cam with the bait a foot above... they would come check it out all day sniff it but not take it... then we set up for burbs at around 4 pm and put our bait on the lake floor and the pike were taking it right off the bottom of the lake... sounds weird but its true
Old 02-23-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1202 View Post
i had the same problem with pike on snipe lake and lac la nonne last week... watching them on cam with the bait a foot above... they would come check it out all day sniff it but not take it... then we set up for burbs at around 4 pm and put our bait on the lake floor and the pike were taking it right off the bottom of the lake... sounds weird but its true
Well I'll try anything right now....we usually don't get skunked but...have been last two....I take it in stride but it bores the heck out of the boys when there is not even a strike.

The last time I talked to you was about coming along with our old rust bucket (not sure if that was a favor) ......finally found that truck I was looking for....so if your ever need a lift, just pm me.....we try to go out every Saturday till season close and now that we have a very reliable vehicle we are planning on spreading out our fishing territory, so always interested in trying some new lakes.

Lac La Nonne hints??.....I am interested...pm me if you would be so kind.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
What happened when BBJ kidnapped you? Details needed...
I got Blindfolded by the better half, driven to the Timmy's in Beamount and we spent the day Icefishing and shooting the "Talk" at Coal lake. had a BBQ some cake and my Old man showed up. He has not been out Icefishing in about 10 years.
it was a great time.

Quote:

Will do I drive a blue dodge dakota, most likely brownlows.

I am hitting gull lake for sure on Saturday, then heading to Sylvan and or wizard if the warden will allow. Might make wizard a sunday trip.

Thanks for all the info and tips and pm's everyone.

I will let you all know how I did when I get back on Sunday night, mainly cause I don't intend on being online until then.

If anyone wants to come join me or meet up and head out drop me a pm.

HERE FISHY FISHY!
Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Banned

I heard Lake X is bitting good..
Old 02-24-2010, 05:16 PM

If you know the Bonnyville area at all, Angling Lake, on Sec 897 always had tons of burbs. I saw them on the ice all the time, never caught one.

If you head out, give me a shout and I will meet you there.

err I mean Lake O on V road............(souper speshul fissermaning codes)

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-24-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
If you know the Bonnyville area at all, Angling Lake, on Sec 897 always had tons of burbs. I saw them on the ice all the time, never caught one.

If you head out, give me a shout and I will meet you there.

err I mean Lake O on V road............(souper speshul fissermaning codes)
We should go there and try for some burbs some evening while I'm still in the 'hood...give your big fish bonker a workout

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 PM

Wait a minute if we are alphabetizing lakes instead of saying their actual name, like Lake X or Lake Y, there are only 26 possible choices before you have to start using double letters, confusing enough when a guy goes online and "googles" Lake X Alberta. Now if you were to go to google and type in Lake X Alberta click here ----> Google Lake "X" Alberta Result

Ok so now you have googled lake X and what do you know this is the top choice pick Its a link to a thread on the AO forum. Click here ----> My Lake X Rant and now you are at a U Turn. LOL This is what i call a full circle.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Cheers,

Anvil
Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Wait a minute if we are alphabetizing lakes instead of saying their actual name, like Lake X or Lake Y, there are only 26 possible choices before you have to start using double letters, confusing enough when a guy goes online and "googles" Lake X Alberta. Now if you were to go to google and type in Lake X Alberta click here ----> Google Lake "X" Alberta Result

Ok so now you have googled lake X and what do you know this is the top choice pick Its a link to a thread on the AO forum. Click here ----> My Lake X Rant and now you are at a U Turn. LOL This is what i call a full circle.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Cheers,

Anvil

LOL ...:w ave:
Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1202 View Post
Ive heard from my sources that Lac La Nonne , could be host to Alberta's new Record Pike . 41 lbs 09 Oz . Any truth to this ? Not to mention good place for Burbot .
Old 02-26-2010, 05:46 PM

hey anvil maybe i will se you at lac la nonne?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Where have you been targeting Jacks on Isle? I have not had any issues landing them at all. Easily could have taken home my limit every time I went.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:10 AM

Well I am all packed up and ready to hit the road.

I am heading to Gull lake.
Will be all over the lake, starting in the North section first.
If you are out there and if you think you see me, stop by and say hello.

Look for this ---->

Thanks for all the tips and tricks everyone, I hope to post back with some pics and a great story.

Cheers!

The Anvil
Old 02-27-2010, 06:27 PM

May the force be with you...
Old 02-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Ive heard from my sources that Lac La Nonne , could be host to Alberta's new Record Pike . 41 lbs 09 Oz . Any truth to this ? Not to mention good place for Burbot .
im not to sure... i was talking to one of the locals while i was out there and drilled some holes for him and he actually took out his photo album and showed me a pic of his son who caught a 28lb jack out of there last year... he said he put him back in the lake so im hoping he is still in there... there is alot of structure in that lake and it gets very deep to... we had a good day there and i cant wait to go back
Old 02-28-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAlite View Post
May the force be with you...
I felt the force, It helped me to land this

Getting it ready to skin, What a tricky fish. Thanks to youtube i didn't bugger this up and got a lot of meat off of this fish. Made an excellent Fish N Chips dinner.

Hey a big thanks to all those on the forum who shared info and directions.
I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Anvil
Old 02-28-2010, 11:42 PM

WOOOO GOOD ON yeah for taking your first . Feels good doesnt it . I bet she ate good .
Old 02-28-2010, 11:48 PM

Good catch anvil!! Did you have any luck on whites in the area you were in ? I started at about 7 fow in the morning and then went out to 18fow and started catching burbs and some perch!
Old 03-01-2010, 12:05 AM

No whites,

Saw some on the cam, but no luck.
I had a short day.

Might head out again if I can sneak it in but doubt it.

Cheers!
Old 03-01-2010, 12:11 AM

we had 2 cameras downhole on Angling lake today for 6+ hours, not 1 burbot. Lots of little jacks, perch, noting really aggressively feeding, and not a burbot anywhere.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-01-2010, 12:30 AM

Nice Burb. Was out on Gull on saturday. Went all the way to the sharp point on the west and south side of the lake, about 13km from the very south access...not Brownlows as didnt know where that was until afterwards. Nobody was north of us for miles. We were the northen last of the southerns.

Got out lateish...and only caught one nice pike.

Tell me you saved the eggs from that burbot!!!! I want to try making some salted style of caviar from burbot....suppose to be better, according to the Russians, than beluga caviar which is like 200per ounce. Putting on the ritz....or what ever cracker I can find.