Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-17-2010, 10:49 PM

Default gopher fishin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEZF_Pxgvm0
Old 04-17-2010, 11:01 PM

Thanks for posting,I needed a chuckle tonight
Old 04-17-2010, 11:20 PM

i was just waiting for that one kid with the stick to take a huge swing!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:28 PM

a buddy of mine used to do that in cranbrook bc at jimsmith lake, tons of families picnicking all over the place, pretty hilarious, somewhat innapropriate, yet extremely entertaining. definitely produced a frown or two. dorito's are the best bait, c&r only folks. rednecks can be fun.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:28 PM

HAHA that looks like an interesting way to kill time...
Old 04-17-2010, 11:51 PM

Thats kinda mean imo
Old 04-18-2010, 12:28 AM

kinda, but at least they get to live another day. not nearly as mean as the culling that goes on every year all over
Old 04-18-2010, 12:35 AM

i get to admit, that's funny.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:09 AM

Now that's funny, Catch and Release gopher hunting. Now where's my BANJO?? and my Cousin's.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:33 PM

i also think thats a little inhumane, it's one thing to blow it's head off with hollow point .22 and another to torture it for 5 min while you keep strangling it. Iknow it's just a rodent and ive had great fun shooting them years ago but i think that just goes a lil to far IMO
Old 04-18-2010, 07:39 PM

Not a big fan of the gopher fishing, IMO it is cruel to have the string around it's neck and to be pulling it around....
JMO
Old 04-18-2010, 08:38 PM

I agree it is a little cruel, just shoot the thing and admire your shot.
But you have to admit, that is funny

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Banned

Default Suck on this

Back when I was a kid and didnt have a .22 fishing or snaring them was the best way to get them. Then you had a live gopher at your disposal, disposing of them was the fun part. Favorite methods included a small baseball bat I was given at a Trappers game and throwing them in front of on-coming trains, but sometimes we would get creative. If we had enough dead gophers we would line them up across the highway so that anyone traveling the 2A had no choice but to run them over Was it cruel? Sure was! If a kid did that these days someone would probably make them se a shrink, but show me a kid that grew up in the middle of nowhere with no TV who didnt like killing gophers.

Last edited by Cal; 04-18-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Back when I was a kid and didnt have a .22 fishing or snaring them was the best way to get them. Then you had a live gopher at your disposal, disposing of them was the fun part. Favorite methods included a small baseball bat I was given at a Trappers game and throwing them in front of on-coming trains, but sometimes we would get creative. If we had enough dead gophers we would line them up across the highway so that anyone traveling the 2A had no choice but to run them over Was it cruel? Sure was! If a kid did that these days someone would probably make them se a shrink, but show me a kid that grew up in the middle of nowhere with no TV who didnt like killing gophers.
I guess some people were just raised with better morales than to just torture a living creature. Next thing the little kids will do is try it on a cat or dog....but who cares hey they were raised without tv so to entertain they torture... CLASSY!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:31 AM

no body said something about morale in this thread,they just have fun with gopher for cry out loud,they didn't kill it for sake of their pleasure!tell that to the chimp in the BJ and they Bear which we're all laugh at.is that no morale?no!that's funny.i' m sure we all set that hook in all that fish we caught?is that no morale?no!that's fun.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:07 AM

Man I know this will probably stir up some Shat but ohh well here we go.

I am thinking that Cal & Jeezy187 come from differnet ends of the spectrum.

Myself, I can relate to Cal's version. Raised on the farm my entire life, HELL gophers, magpies and crows were treated with some rather CRUEL punishments. That's just the way things were, I am 44 so I know things were a little different back then. BUTTT!!
I have never beat a dog, cat or any other creature. I have shot and taken lots of game with no intentions of making them suffer. I have 2 daughters that I have taught to respect and treat any living thing with the utmost respect.

Hey Jeezy I am pretty sure that Cal is a good guy. Like myself we just have a different view of things than you.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 AM

x2 just shoot them, and call it good.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:52 AM

Could be worse, better than a large treble hook my buddy used for them back in the old days. What ever happend to the old days when it was just bail twine and time to kill.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
x2 just shoot them, and call it good.
X3
Old 04-19-2010, 11:59 AM

Grandpa always taught us that once you snared 'em, you took a couple quick swings and head first into the ground, then a stick or shovel to finish them off. You didn't play around with them. Course that didn't always sink in, I must admit to playing with a few gophers in my lifetime, but usually we'd just kill 'em quick.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:51 PM

Having a Gopher at the end of a rope is considered to be "in humane" or "cruel" however doing essentially the exact same thing with a Dog isn't???

It's nature's way.... either be big or be intelligent.... or be eaten!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 PM

Can't imagine there is a gopher that will walk up to you with the fishing rod in it's mouth, expecting to go have some fun, so the answer is no it's not.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigg dogg View Post
Man I know this will probably stir up some Shat but ohh well here we go.

I am thinking that Cal & Jeezy187 come from differnet ends of the spectrum.

Myself, I can relate to Cal's version. Raised on the farm my entire life, HELL gophers, magpies and crows were treated with some rather CRUEL punishments. That's just the way things were, I am 44 so I know things were a little different back then. BUTTT!!
I have never beat a dog, cat or any other creature. I have shot and taken lots of game with no intentions of making them suffer. I have 2 daughters that I have taught to respect and treat any living thing with the utmost respect.

Hey Jeezy I am pretty sure that Cal is a good guy. Like myself we just have a different view of things than you.
im sure he is rigg dogg, i just dont see what is so funny about noosing a creature and flinging him around then let him go all f'd up to most likely die in hours or a couple days from the injuries sustained, like a previous poster said if your going to do that bonk them and take them out quick or just leave them the hell alone....But thats just my opinion
Old 04-19-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Having a Gopher at the end of a rope is considered to be "in humane" or "cruel" however doing essentially the exact same thing with a Dog isn't???

It's nature's way.... either be big or be intelligent.... or be eaten!
well when im walking MY dog im not dragging him with a noose around his neck, in the real world it's called a LEASH and COLLAR, also he doesnt look scared spitless either so how you compare the two is odd
Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Banned

Hey jeezy, almost all of them were killed quickly. The exception being a couple I tryed to keep as pets and then let go after they got loose in the house (couldnt bring myself to kill them at that point). The reason we threw a few of them infront of the train is because the train tracks ran past our feild, once in awhile you heard a train whistle while you happened to have a gopher on your snare, honestly what kid could resist that? The ones who got lined up across the highway were dead already so they didnt suffer any, and I still think that was funny. These days I just shoot them, if I had kids I would make them kill them quickly.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:48 PM

Cal you're just beyond Satanic..lol
Old 04-19-2010, 09:37 PM

I'm gonna have nightmares about some giant gopher out for revenge
Old 04-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezy187 View Post
I guess some people were just raised with better morales than to just torture a living creature. Next thing the little kids will do is try it on a cat or dog....but who cares hey they were raised without tv so to entertain they torture... CLASSY!
i dont know man throwin a german sheperd in front of a train would be pretty tough
Old 04-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezy187 View Post
well when im walking MY dog im not dragging him with a noose around his neck, in the real world it's called a LEASH and COLLAR, also he doesnt look scared spitless either so how you compare the two is odd
thats kinda cruel!! I just let my dog run wild its better that way.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:58 PM

looks sick ive gotta try that some time with u guys (deerassasin).