Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-25-2010, 01:43 PM

Default Wabamun tommorow anyone?

Hope everyone is having a great Christmas and got lots of new toys to try out.

Anyways im heading to Wabamun in the morning. If anyone is interested in joining toss me a message. It'll likely just be me and my gf. I'm torn on whether to go in town or by seba beach. Anyways have a good Christmas everyone.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:52 PM

It's a pity I'm tied up tomorrow, and too bad you're tied up on Monday. One of these days man, we'll get out again.

As a sidenote, it's cool that your gf is into fishing

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-25-2010, 02:26 PM

Ya defiantly. Hopefully soon
Old 12-26-2010, 09:11 AM

pikehunter let me know how you did .I want to hit wab on monday.
never tried ice fishing at town, normaly at the sailing club.
Lots of snow on the ice. I have hut on skies I need to pull by hand.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:23 PM

It was a bit slow. Only managed one and lost one. Seen a few though taking a peek.

On a side note. Guys were driving on today. Including a 1 ton. Lots of snow in places but not to bad if you stay on the path. Ice was anywhere from 11 to 14 inches and it's defiantly becoming more solid. Only a bit of flood water. But still recommend using caution if driving on. ( have to make sure I don't get sued or something lol) but do be careful for sure
Old 12-26-2010, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the update Alex...I'll let you know how we make out tomorrow!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-26-2010, 05:48 PM

Ur goin to WAB tomorrow geezle? I also mite b out there send me a txt or give me a ring
Old 12-26-2010, 07:28 PM

Ok good luck out there tomorrow guys
Old 12-26-2010, 07:58 PM

Hey Pikehunter,where did you get on the lake..?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:58 PM

Was at wab sunday night. saw a truck near the shore on the ice of the old hot water canal get stuck in a water pocket in the ice or something. looked preaty barried and the front tire totally sunkin in the ice. i drove toward the truck not knowing whats going on and halfway from the boatlaunch and the canal my trackes were getting flooded with water, so i booked it back to the front of the boatlaunch and stayed there. not shure whats going on there with all the water on top of the ice but seems pretty dangerous.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:04 PM

I saw open water there too a couple weekends ago, got about 100-200 feet from shore, then saw that, and went to lake Isle instead.... be carefull out there!

Edit: Not the exact same spot (i think), just meant at Wab, out from the pier in town

Last edited by bloopbloob; 12-26-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up..I will get on at the sailing club road up the road some.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:19 PM

Ya defiantly have to be careful out there. I'd still love know where this open water was. I was there a couple days later and everything seemed frozen solid. Defiantly didn't see any open water. Everywhere I went was atleast 11 inches. But none the less. Still slot of variation in ice thickness. It was 14 inches in one spot and not even 20 ft away it was only 11 so defiantly be careful out there. If you are driving on I'd highly recommend going straight out or to the left of the peir. Seems a bit thicker out that way
Old 12-26-2010, 09:30 PM

anyone see any whites in wab this year?
Old 12-26-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter1989 View Post
Ya defiantly have to be careful out there. I'd still love know where this open water was. I was there a couple days later and everything seemed frozen solid. Defiantly didn't see any open water. Everywhere I went was atleast 11 inches. But none the less. Still slot of variation in ice thickness. It was 14 inches in one spot and not even 20 ft away it was only 11 so defiantly be careful out there. If you are driving on I'd highly recommend going straight out or to the left of the peir. Seems a bit thicker out that way
i'm starting to wonder what it was myself, it looked rectangular, almost manmade, but I wasn't sticking around to investigate. just high tailed it outta there the second I saw that. makes me wonder if maybe a vehicle went in and they cut a hole to remove it, almost what it seems like, looking back, but really doubt a recovery is even possible with ~12" of ice, so I really don't know. Just know I didn't like being on the ice and seeing a swimming pool, so I left.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:38 PM

Ya I don't blame you. I'd probably do the same. But it is possible that it could have been a veichle went through. Hard to say.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:46 AM

I'm out on the lake by Fallis right now. God I love this iPhone :-) About a foot of ice where we're at and lots of vehicle tracks.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
I'm out on the lake by Fallis right now. God I love this iPhone :-) About a foot of ice where we're at and lots of vehicle tracks.
Nice. Ya the iPhones are great. Let me know how you do.

Anyone know how the ice is at seba beach? Heading to Wabamun on wednesday again.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:23 PM

At Wabamun right now no luck yet just off point alison
Old 12-27-2010, 03:21 PM

Was at wab about 300 yds straight off pier at town site. Caught a couple pike lost one bug one and saw 5 whites in a 3 hours from noon to 3.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:22 PM

Lots of guys driving on today? I'm heading out tomorrow
Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I saw open water there too a couple weekends ago, got about 100-200 feet from shore, then saw that, and went to lake Isle instead.... be carefull out there!

Edit: Not the exact same spot (i think), just meant at Wab, out from the pier in town
Sorry but I was there a month ago and the nearest open water was either 1000yds from the dock or on the tailings pond just beyond the lake!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:50 PM

Fishing was very slow today all over the lake as I heard. Caught only 3 small pike.Seen about 7 whitefish in the camera and about 8 pike .
Lots of flood water under the snow ,shoveled away the snow and 4 inches of water appeared ! Heard from Rumtan than lake Isle was slow also today.
Hope it picks up in the new year.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the update. You drive on? Other guys drive on?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter1989 View Post
Lots of guys driving on today? I'm heading out tomorrow
There was one guy that drove out in a truck a few hundred yards. There was another idiot in a jeep speeding around about a hundred yards from shore but he was running into flood water on the ice. You could also see some of the snowmobiles were hitting the flood water too.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-27-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
There was one guy that drove out in a truck a few hundred yards. There was another idiot in a jeep speeding around about a hundred yards from shore but he was running into flood water on the ice. You could also see some of the snowmobiles were hitting the flood water too.
What area on the lake was this at
Old 12-27-2010, 08:55 PM

I saw several people with vehicles out by the point I was at on either side
Old 12-27-2010, 11:05 PM

Wasn't amazing fishing but it was fairly steady until lunch time. We were catching nothing but 10 lbers it was great.

I was kneeling down in front of the Coleman stove making our lunch and my buddy caught the biggest (and last) one of the day at a good 14 lbs.

We got there at sunrise and left around 4PM. All in all we caught 10 between the 4 of us but they were all a good size. Only one that would be under the regulations if we could keep them.

3 trucks went by us today with the ice being at least 12". We parked on the ice too without any scary noises.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
i'm starting to wonder what it was myself, it looked rectangular, almost manmade, but I wasn't sticking around to investigate. just high tailed it outta there the second I saw that. makes me wonder if maybe a vehicle went in and they cut a hole to remove it, almost what it seems like, looking back, but really doubt a recovery is even possible with ~12" of ice, so I really don't know. Just know I didn't like being on the ice and seeing a swimming pool, so I left.
How close did you get to that spot to check it out? Are you 100% sure it was open water and not a skating rink that had been cleared off? I've come across a few of those now.

Anyway we were out near Rich's point and it was pretty quiet. Lots of people fishing out in that area as well. Lots of flood water in places, and with all the snow on the lake now, all our holes were flooding as well. A couple guys were driving on the ice, but personally I'll be waiting a few more weeks. I may be dumb, but I ain't stupid!

Also got to meet -JR- out there yesterday

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-28-2010, 11:01 AM

Default alodar

said hi to you in the parking lot, we left shortly after noon, saw only one white, I was so disappointed last year easily caught and released dozens in the same spot, moved over to the yaht club it was slower than dead, finally around 4 the fish woke up but only ended catching 2 up the whole( not much size ), everyone else wasn't doing anybetter. how'd you guys finally make out