Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2012, 09:13 AM

Default Hit and run south of Smoky Lake

Would it be possible for someone to post a link from Global or Ched on this and I will comment on it later.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:18 AM

Pedestrian killed in hit and run near Smoky Lake

Caley Ramsay, Global Edmonton : Saturday, September 15, 2012 9:11 PM

A pedestrian has been killed, following a fatal hit and run northeast of Edmonton.

Smoky Lake RCMP were called to the area of Highway 855, about five kilometres south of Smoky Lake, just after 10 Saturday morning.

Officers are releasing few details but say a pedestrian was struck and killed by a vehicle that fled the scene.

The highway was closed for several hours as members from the RCMP Collision Reconstruction Team and Forensic Identification Section investigated. The highway has since re-opened to traffic, and the investigation continues.

The identity of the victim is not being released at this time.

Read it on Global News: Global Edmonton | Pedestrian killed in hit and run near Smoky Lake
Old 09-16-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
A pedestrian has been killed, following a fatal hit and run northeast of Edmonton.

Smoky Lake RCMP were called to the area of Highway 855, about five kilometres south of Smoky Lake, just after 10 Saturday morning.

Officers are releasing few details but say a pedestrian was struck and killed by a vehicle that fled the scene.

The highway was closed for several hours as members from the RCMP Collision Reconstruction Team and Forensic Identification Section investigated. The highway has since re-opened to traffic, and the investigation continues.

The identity of the victim is not being released at this time.

Read it on Global News: Global Edmonton | Pedestrian killed in hit and run near Smoky Lake

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/pede...845/story.html
The Journal had this:

Quote:
RCMP investigate fatal hit-and-run near Smoky Lake

By Edmonton Journal, Edmonton Journal September 16, 2012 7:18 AM

Smoky Lake RCMP are investigating a hit-and-run crash that killed a pedestrian Saturday morning, police said in a news release.

Officers were called just after 10 a.m. Saturday to Highway 855, about five kilometres south of Smoky Lake, a community located 120 kilometres northeast of Edmonton.

Police closed the highway for several hours while collision reconstruction experts and forensics investigators examined the scene of the deadly hit-and-run collision.

Police are not releasing the identity of the pedestrian who died until family has been notified.

The investigation continues, the news release said.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/techn...445/story.html

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 09-16-2012, 01:28 PM

I better not comment on this right now.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:52 PM

I konw the person that pass away, going to be missed by all. Im not sure if the word is out, so I cant say anything.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:33 PM

They released his name on the news tonite, but they didn't reveal any more details. It's pretty tragic.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:46 PM

Is the person charged related to the deceased? Same last names.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM

CFRN just reported the brother is in custody for mowing him down....
Old 09-16-2012, 06:48 PM

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/charges-l...-lake-1.958086
Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 PM

It was his brother that mowed him down and left him in the ditch. He went home like nothing happened. I drove past the scene seconds after the ambulance arrived. We also saw the vehicle on the tow truck later in the afternoon and judging from the damage there is no way he didn't know he hit something. The guy charged has a wife and two teenage children, the one who died had a live in girlfriend with a teenage daughter that isn't his. Really affects a small community.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:38 PM

Sad deal all around.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
It was his brother that mowed him down and left him in the ditch. He went home like nothing happened. I drove past the scene seconds after the ambulance arrived. We also saw the vehicle on the tow truck later in the afternoon and judging from the damage there is no way he didn't know he hit something. The guy charged has a wife and two teenage children, the one who died had a live in girlfriend with a teenage daughter that isn't his. Really affects a small community.
Sorry to hear that you had to pass this scene. I respectfully disagree with your sentiments that this is tragic or affects the small community though. This event is not tragic, but rather preventable. If you are familiar with the accused, you must also be familiar with his alcoholism. Now, we can't single out him alone, because the community as a whole condones it. If you have ever been inside warspite hotel, where the doors get locked at closing time and the liquor keeps flowing, then you to have contributed to this mentality that alcoholism and impaired driving are acceptable. I feel sympathy for the men's parents, however the effect on this community will be short lived, impaired driving will continue, and more lives will be lost. If you think I am wrong, I dare you to order a pop in warspite hotel. The alcoholics will quickly put down your choice and convince you to drink knowing there is no taxi to take home. If anything, this collision was just. Imagine trying to face your mother after killing your brother. Imagine waking up everyday knowing what you did. Sadly, even this likely won't convince BP or anyone else in the area to drive sober. Remember, this was not an accident. It was a collision where a drunk driver killed another human.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Sorry to hear that you had to pass this scene. I respectfully disagree with your sentiments that this is tragic or affects the small community though. This event is not tragic, but rather preventable. If you are familiar with the accused, you must also be familiar with his alcoholism. Now, we can't single out him alone, because the community as a whole condones it. If you have ever been inside warspite hotel, where the doors get locked at closing time and the liquor keeps flowing, then you to have contributed to this mentality that alcoholism and impaired driving are acceptable. I feel sympathy for the men's parents, however the effect on this community will be short lived, impaired driving will continue, and more lives will be lost. If you think I am wrong, I dare you to order a pop in warspite hotel. The alcoholics will quickly put down your choice and convince you to drink knowing there is no taxi to take home. If anything, this collision was just. Imagine trying to face your mother after killing your brother. Imagine waking up everyday knowing what you did. Sadly, even this likely won't convince BP or anyone else in the area to drive sober. Remember, this was not an accident. It was a collision where a drunk driver killed another human.
This is so true, and the sad thing is it keeps getting passed on from generation to generation. My daughter is in grade 10 and she has classmates who's parents buy them liquor to takle to parties. I don't know if it happens everywhere but people sure make it acceptable here. Parents are to busy trying to be their kids' BFF than parents.