Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Default dodge diff failure almost wrote my truck off

was on my way to pick up a shipment from the airport to work in my 2010 hemi crew and started to hear a whirring/ rubbing noise on a service road by the airport. i sped up and slowed down a few times, and it was getting a bit louder, turned off air and stereo and sped up 1 more time trying to figure out what the noise is. buddy is in the passenger seat giving me a funny look as he hears it, as i let off the gas i hear a noise like a grenade going off under the truck and the rear axle locks immediately, causing the driveshaft to snap at the u joint and puts the truck sideways at 80km/h hopping the back axle. im so lucky i was alone on the road with no traffic and managed to keep it on the road as it skid for 150-200ft spewing diff fluid all over the road. kicker is the truck was at the dodge dealership 2 weeks ago for my 4x4 service which they did the rear diff fluid service. it got towed to the dealership via chrysler roadside assistance ( great people by the way) and will await the phone call tomorrow, but it was quite the experiance. almost hit the ditch with a deep dropoff which would of certainly flipped the vehicle. i was on a major highway going 120km/h 5 mins before this happened in heavy traffic. im counting my blessings.

anyways quite the afternoon. what would you guys do in said situation? not looking forward to dealing with dodge. hopefully i can get a loaner from them considering i doubt this is a easy fix.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:23 PM

Don't know what to say other than I am real glad no one got hurt.
Divine intervention in play?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-16-2012, 04:26 PM

kicker is the truck was at the dodge dealership 2 weeks ago for my 4x4 service which they did the rear diff fluid service.
That's what I'd look at real hard, even try and get an independant opinion if they try and get you to pay for anything.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Banned

Kinda sounds like they did half of the diff service to me. (the draining part)...how much have you driven it since then? any long trips or just short jaunts since the diff service?

Never mind...just read the part about diff fluid all over the place. Still sounds weird to me. Wrong fluid????
Old 09-16-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Kinda sounds like they did half of the diff service to me. (the draining part)...how much have you driven it since then? any long trips or just short jaunts since the diff service?

Never mind...just read the part about diff fluid all over the place. Still sounds weird to me. Wrong fluid????
You missed the part about diff fluid all over the road!! Not sure if the dodge requires an additive added with the gear oil or not like the older GM posi's required. Maybe a knowledgeable dodge owner can enlighten us
Old 09-16-2012, 05:09 PM

Wonder if that is what happened in the head on collision near Three Hills friday night? There was a dodge truck involved, not sure which one crossed the centre line.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:21 PM

Sorry to hear of your truck woes but glad everyone is alright. Have never understood why vehicle manufacturers do not put driveshaft safety loops on their vehicles.

My Ford, a bearing went in the transfer case at 100 km/hr and know what you mean about the noise etc. Cost me 8000 to fix my truck. Hope Dodge treats you better than Ford treated me.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
You missed the part about diff fluid all over the road!! Not sure if the dodge requires an additive added with the gear oil or not like the older GM posi's required. Maybe a knowledgeable dodge owner can enlighten us
Older Gm additive was to allow the clutch packs to slip so they wouldn't be grabbing on a turn.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Banned

That's pretty scary

Apparently you're not alone, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating. Sounds like what happened to you.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/dodge-...ntial-failures
Old 09-16-2012, 06:41 PM

There have been too many similar stories about the 10+ Rams on the ram forums. I'm starting to get nervous about mine. Glad you're alright.

Keep us posted.. Lots of these trucks on the road!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600twin View Post
Older Gm additive was to allow the clutch packs to slip so they wouldn't be grabbing on a turn.
Ahh ya I know what it was for, don't know what dodge does for gear oil, or additives is what I was saying....
Old 09-16-2012, 07:42 PM

We drivers of old trucks have to suffer along with those heavy old Dana 70 diffs that never break. Been a lot of improvements in the last twenty years though. I was real impressed with the aluminum driveshaft I saw twisted off on a GM last week. Good stuff.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 PM

What Ken07 said too.
Glad to be reading your accounts of the days events rather than seeing it on the 6 O'clock news.
Maybe buy a Ford next time?
Sorry couldnt resist.
Rob
Old 09-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Banned

Default i looked up

Dodge in the dictionary...
It says ' To avoid'...
nuff said?
Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAlbertan View Post
Dodge in the dictionary...
It says ' To avoid'...
nuff said?
I looked up ford in the dictionary....

FORD

FIX
OR
REPAIR
DAILY
Old 09-16-2012, 08:10 PM

I bet it was the center pin fell out,had it happen once on a GM axle,seen it happen on a Ford axle took out the whole carrier.I also heard the whirring noise and when I slowed down it came through the case.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
Ahh ya I know what it was for, don't know what dodge does for gear oil, or additives is what I was saying....
My 04 use's the additive .......... the new model's ???
Old 09-16-2012, 08:31 PM

The above link mentions the pinion nut working loose, so it probably works some slop into the taper bearings and falls back into the diff when coasting, then jams on the crown gear.

Should be a simple fix for those mechanically inclined or have rebuilt a rearend before.

Ive actually killed a couple rear diffs due to the cummins, 37's, and 9.5" landcruiser axles. But not at high speeds.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
We drivers of old trucks have to suffer along with those heavy old Dana 70 diffs that never break. Been a lot of improvements in the last twenty years though. I was real impressed with the aluminum driveshaft I saw twisted off on a GM last week. Good stuff.
I must be behind the times... and aluminum driveshaft????? Which genius thought that one up?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
That's pretty scary

Apparently you're not alone, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating. Sounds like what happened to you.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/dodge-...ntial-failures

sounds like exactly what happened. scary for sure, anywhere else could have been a very different outcome. it was very sudden with very little sign of warning.
i also have the optional 3.92 LSD rear axle and made sure they added the additive last time it was in for service. they actually forgot the 1st time and i had to go back to get it added the day after.still have the service manager emails about that. truck has maybe 800-1000km's since the diff service. worst part was i had all my hunting gear loaded and was going to go try and get some grouse today and was all pumped up. just finished buying licenses.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I must be behind the times... and aluminum driveshaft????? Which genius thought that one up?
GM has been using them for quite a while now in there trucks. it kinda makes sense to decrease rotating mass and weight of the driveline, at least until you off road it and put any weight on it. They make trucks for paved surfaces these days, and so you cant repair them yourself for two obvious reasons.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:33 PM

Speaking of dodge axles... My friends dodge had some sort of thermal melt down and the tire and axle broke right off on one side. We were joking around the camp fire once about how I told him a dodge is an ok truck until your axle breaks or a tire falls off while your driving down the road,lol

a harmonic whining resembling something like that of rubbing your finger around the top of a wine glass is usually bearing faliure.... As they heat up they expand and get red hot then fusion happens and when rotating mass going 3000rpm or so seizes something explodes.

Everyone knocks ford but hey... I'd rather fix bad ford wiring than have my tires or axle fall apart on the road... We are talking about an auto company that needed a government bailout to keep from going belly up. I think we should get a dodge with our tax returns to cover the bill
Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
you realize they make fighter jets out of aluminium right? and engine blocks that can have 40000 explosions happening in them per minute? aluminium is pretty strong stuff. its not suitable for everything, but a driveshaft is no problem.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Cut apart any old steel drive shaft and you will see there ain't a whole bunch to them either.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
you realize they make fighter jets out of aluminium right? and engine blocks that can have 40000 explosions happening in them per minute? aluminium is pretty strong stuff. its not suitable for everything, but a driveshaft is no problem.
Agreed, aluminum works well for many things. Torque is not its strong point though, and that is what drive shafts deal with all the time.

It is the reason aluminum bolts are not used, nor are wrenches made out of aluminum.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600twin View Post
Cut apart any old steel drive shaft and you will see there ain't a whole bunch to them either.
But they can withstand the torque, and that is the issue. Most driveshaft failures are as a result of u-joints letting go, not the driveshaft.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:

I'll take an Aluminum shaft over a steel one any day.

Aluminum lowers driveline shock, stronger and lighter than steel, and in dragracing/hot shotting my diesel truck, have never ever twisted one.

Much easier to balance as well U Joint life is also a plus with them.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:12 AM

this is nothing new.i have rebuilt tons of diffs and 95% under warranty.when dodge changed to coil springs in 2009 they changed the diff.they put to much drain coming back down in the diff.the result is not enough oil for the pinion brg and the pinion locks up causing this.they built a restricter plate under a recall that we put in.this solved this problem but be aware i have also replaced diffs where the pinion nut has also come off and causing the same result.for all you that believe in services i am going to give you a little tip.most dealers will not do a proper diff service.they suck out tghe oil and put oil in.thats flat rate in and out.you can make more money doing fast services than doing proper services.i know this because i worked for dodge for 7 years and have seen this all over.dont blame the mechanic.the dealers started this war years ago.for all the people that believe that ford is better than dodge,chev is better than ford or whatever they are all vehicles that are made to break no matter what the name says.the quality has left many moons ago.i now make my living as a heavy duty mechanic
Old 09-17-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hawken View Post
this is nothing new.i have rebuilt tons of diffs and 95% under warranty.when dodge changed to coil springs in 2009 they changed the diff.they put to much drain coming back down in the diff.the result is not enough oil for the pinion brg and the pinion locks up causing this.they built a restricter plate under a recall that we put in.this solved this problem but be aware i have also replaced diffs where the pinion nut has also come off and causing the same result.for all you that believe in services i am going to give you a little tip.most dealers will not do a proper diff service.they suck out tghe oil and put oil in.thats flat rate in and out.you can make more money doing fast services than doing proper services.i know this because i worked for dodge for 7 years and have seen this all over.dont blame the mechanic.the dealers started this war years ago.for all the people that believe that ford is better than dodge,chev is better than ford or whatever they are all vehicles that are made to break no matter what the name says.the quality has left many moons ago.i now make my living as a heavy duty mechanic

I wouldnt make that generalization. I had no problem making time on a service #4 in fact I could run 2 hoists at the same time. Most guys don't realize you can actually drain the engine oil and drop a tranny pan at the same time you don't have to do them one at a time. In fact with another pail you can take a diff cover off while those are draining. Taking short cuts is what ends up in threads like this. Instead of sucking the fluid out and saying I did a service in like .4 and made an hour flat rate. You also realize that those services make alot more money than just services. You are supposed to check things like fluid leaks, u-joints , brake measurements, lights and other things. So if you are speaking of ****ty service do not make a generalization or blame the dealer. you are getting paid for a job so friggin do it. I was just told recently i need to half ass a fix to get it done. I told them doing right does not take that much longer and we don't have to worry about a comeback. That answer was not good enough so I Left. I do not stand for half ass excuses. Fix it Right The First Time.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 AM

Which place wanted you to half azz it? That sounds like a place that i wouldn't want to take my truck to.

As for the op. Is this in a half ton or in a heavy duty