Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-09-2009, 10:14 PM

Default proper form question?

Been watchin alot of the "pro's" on wild tv and once they lock in the anchor and release...the trigger arm flies back like the gonna ask the teacher a question [upon release]. I guess if you flinch the same each time it's ok. What the deal with that? I've never been trained personally but had a target bow shooter watch / show me the form I use back in '89. When he released only the bow would roll forward after the shot and thats what I adopted as good form. Am I out date or missing out?...thx chain
Old 03-10-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain2 View Post
Been watchin alot of the "pro's" on wild tv and once they lock in the anchor and release...the trigger arm flies back like the gonna ask the teacher a question [upon release]. I guess if you flinch the same each time it's ok. What the deal with that? I've never been trained personally but had a target bow shooter watch / show me the form I use back in '89. When he released only the bow would roll forward after the shot and thats what I adopted as good form. Am I out date or missing out?...thx chain
If the release is properly executed, the arm keeps coming STRAIGHT BACK, not up.
Many people keep the arm coming back and up, some go stright up, etc.Compound shooters as a rule have some of the worst form in archery as far as traditional freestyle shooters are concerned , because the draw weight does not increase but it decreases, so the muscles are worked differently.
But the release follow through should be the same.
Many traditional shooters have lousy form as well!
Cat
Old 03-10-2009, 06:15 AM

The reason you see the arm "fly" back is Called pulling through the shot. Meaning Proper shooting is done like in one fluid motion, not draw back point click trigger.

If done correct when your pulling back you will naturally set your back muscels to trigger the release off your finger.Thats what I know

AL
Old 03-10-2009, 07:33 AM

I THINK it comes from different people and the way they hold their 'form'. I know quite a bit about form but after the shot and release hand I cant say I know the 'true' answer.

I know when I shoot, my arm stays close to in place but does come back a bit. Mainly caused by me closing my shoulders together while preparin for the shot. I try not to notice myself 'pulling' the trigger and try to make it a motion of my shoulders.

Hope this makes sense. Not sure what perfect release hand form is though.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
If the release is properly executed, the arm keeps coming STRAIGHT BACK, not up.
Many people keep the arm coming back and up, some go stright up, etc.Compound shooters as a rule have some of the worst form in archery as far as traditional freestyle shooters are concerned , because the draw weight does not increase but it decreases, so the muscles are worked differently.
But the release follow through should be the same.
Many traditional shooters have lousy form as well!
Cat
Yo Cat: It seems that most of the new compounds have an massive amount of lettoff. Don't know if you remember, but I shot a Citation with 30% lettoff. I don't think I ever had a problem with release, so I think you may be on to something here. I do recall shooting the Provincials one year. The second day, following the banquet, I had a bit of a headache. Imagine that. A freind kindly gave me some tylenol with codine. Nobody told me codine was a muscle relaxant........Try 78# with 30% lettoff and a snoot full of codine. I managed to make my way through although by the end I was sweating like a dog humping a football. (and won my class)
Old 03-11-2009, 05:15 PM

If your arm is relaxed with a compound & release like it's supposed to be, you will have little control over your hand "flying" back.

Olay!
Old 03-11-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
If your arm is relaxed with a compound & release like it's supposed to be, you will have little control over your hand "flying" back.

Olay!
I've seen many fly back and upward however, and this is an over exageration of a proper release and folow through.
The arm should actually come straight back, and it can only come so far....
Cat
Old 03-12-2009, 03:07 AM

At full draw your bicep muscle in the drawing arm should be completely relaxed as in no tension. IE. you should be able to walk up to me and poke it and it's soft.

OLAY!
Old 03-12-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain2 View Post
When the bow rolls forwrad, it is because the bow hand is relaxed, and the bow is balanced so it will do that, if you take the stabilizer off your bow, it will ROLL BACK - not good!!
You want the bow to continue in the direction that the arrow was going .
As far as draw goes, if the bow has to be started to the side or down and drawn, then brought up to aim, the muscular form is wrong.
The proper draw is straight out or up and then straight down.
The trapezius and lateral muscles do the pulling, and when the release is made, this makes the arm come STRAIGHT back, because that is how the back muscles are pulling, so the amr must come straight back as well.
if you look up the form sections in a FITA manual, this will all be explained better, with diagrams...
Cat