Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-18-2009, 11:48 AM

Default String Loop and releases???

Hello everyone.I am wondering how many of you use a string loop and how many just anchor on the string.Please tell me what the pros and cons are of both options.I have always shot a twin jaw release but I have somehow lost it so I have to go with a new setup.

Thanks in Advance for you help.

Also I would like to know what you release everyone is using.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:28 PM

I use a string loop now. I switched because I heard of the benefits:

1-consistent arrow release
2-arrow sits 'nicer' on the string
3-more foregiving on the string, meaning you don't need to replace your serving at much

I found that #3, the string loops loop through the serving as well, so it's not really a benefit.

I never really found that it improved my accuracy or groups, but then again I'm just a hunter so a baseball group 'will do'.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:09 PM

I've been using loops for a few or more years now......but you know I'm not completely sold on them. I had to reduce the DL on my bows by up to an inch in order to retain my anchor points.

BRL gives you some pro's.

Con:

Your draw is affected by a loop. Right now without a loop, you attach your release, draw your string back a specific distance until the cam rotates and you reach the "wall". You are accustomed to this way of doing things....when you are at the wall, you experience all of the anchor points which are familiar to you.....string on the nose and some part of your draw hand touching your face somewhere. When you add a loop, you effectively add .5 to .75 of an inch to the back of the string. Your draw length is not changed but you have to draw .5 to .75 past the anchor point which you have been accustomed to. This may be easy for you to overcome by chaning your anchor point or not so easy if you want to stick with your "proven", and habitual anchor points. The worst case is that you have to reduce the DL of your bow.

Not trying to talk you out of one, but this is the experience of a person who shot many years without a loop and measured his DL using a bow without a loop. This is exactly where you are situated right now. With everbody shooting from a loop now-a-days, and if they bought a bow with a loop already installed, they measured their DL with the loop installed and this doesn't even show up on their radar. If you install a loop be prepared to change something else too.

If you don't go for the loop I would suggest you put an "eliminator button" on your string below the knock. I know you had a twin jaw release before and that release prevents the pinch (on the arrow knock) that a single jaw release puts on the knock. I always had a couple of these on my string.........they last a long time(couple years even) but if one breaks off you can just slide another up the string.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:07 PM

I added one last year. I got used to it quick (after a couple times at the range). I found that my accuarcy was the same as without a loop but my consitency was much improved. Might have something to do better anchor point, but I'm not sure it just works better for me. I also noticed less string wear. One disadvantage that I found was attaching the release to a string loop takes more concentration than just to the string. I found this to be a disadvantage when spot and stalk hunting and especially while decoying Antelope. I would slap the decoy up, see the buck start running in and then I would have to grab my bow and with all the excitement try to attach my release. I will just say with all the adrenaline running a few speed goats were behind me before the bow was up.

As you can see by my Avatar, not all the antelope got away!!

Good luck

Last edited by Couleestalker; 03-18-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:06 PM

i use a loop and a scott Shark release...the lil mongoose was the one i just had it was good as well...

I like the loops, just better for nocking the arrow

CP
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Gone Hunting

I also run a string loop. Started about 5 years ago. Cant see changing to anything else now. Been using a Fletcher 44 caliper release. Has been ok, has alot (ALOT) of arrows through it, been using for prob 4 years,, maybe 3, cant remember. Should buy another, no iron will last forever. Still seems pretty solid though and cant really say much bad about it, though i havent played with high end stuff either!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 03-22-2009, 09:31 AM

Thx for all your guys help and imput.I am now running a stringloop and after trying on almost every release I finally settleD on the Scott Shark.I also picked up some of Carbon express's new lazer eye lighted nocks.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:36 AM

lighted nocs are nice but I dont like how they foul up the arrow flight at longer distances like 60-70yrds I have been lookin around for some glow in the dark fletches that would be nice lose an arrow go back after dark and find it

Good call on the shark though I love mine, there are some fantastic products out there.

I like to shoot my hunting stuff for targets.

CP
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacphil View Post
lighted nocs are nice but I dont like how they foul up the arrow flight at longer distances like 60-70yrds I have been lookin around for some glow in the dark fletches that would be nice lose an arrow go back after dark and find it

Good call on the shark though I love mine, there are some fantastic products out there.

I like to shoot my hunting stuff for targets.

CP
Thx Cardi,

Yea I just bought one of the lighted nocks.Seems to work everytime and these only weigh 18 gr. I have weight tubes in my arrows so I probably wont use them but they are super bright and my arrows fly fine on close shots in the house