Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-08-2009, 01:50 PM

Default Canadian in the Rough archery shot

I was wondering what anyone thought of the shot thomas pigeon took on the show today.
It was part two of the alberta mule deer hunt.

Pigeon shot a nice mulie buck and it went straight down. They commented that the shot was "beautiful".
To me, the shot was lucky. I think he hit the buck in the spine, which paralyzed the deer as you can see the arrow didnt go thru the deer. If the arrow hit a rib, i doubt he deer would have went down.

I like the show as it shows the less than perfect scenerios, like the elbow hitting the steel blind and spooking the big mulie, this coming after the "practice, practice, practice" preaching.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:02 PM

haha after missing the 20yard shot and then taking that spine id say for him it wasa beauty shot.....

but i too think that he was lucky, that was a close one but hey if its down on the spot I'll take it, what bothers me is with spine shots like that the animal is still likely alive and kicking around and they never filmed or said anything about a finishing shot. But i guess its t.v and most times stuff like that don't fly and is cut out.

Last edited by munyee4321; 03-08-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:19 PM

He is a bit of a goof,but at least he doesn't edit out his mistakes in an effort to make himself look better.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:33 PM

I used to watch him Sunday morning with my boys not no more. Met him at the Calgary show a few years back and he is a first class a>>. The things that they do on the show are suspect at best..
Not a fan
Gramps
Old 03-08-2009, 02:47 PM

I liked the GONG show he put on for us inside the oil drum.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munyee4321 View Post

but hey if its down on the I'll take it, .
I agree,

but i think Thomas was acting like he meant to shoot it there and if you make a "beautiful shot" like that, the deer will drop like a tonne of bricks.

I think his sights are set too high and he needs more practice.

anyways, i enjoy the show with all canadian content.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
I agree,

but i think Thomas was acting like he meant to shoot it there and if you make a "beautiful shot" like that, the deer will drop like a tonne of bricks.

I think his sights are set too high and he needs more practice.

anyways, i enjoy the show with all canadian content.
Thomas P always acts like his mistakes are on purpose. Like his 'management buck' he shot a few years ago in Alberta....lol

Or when he flung an arrow at a runnin caribou way out there and then professed that he doesnt practice at long ranges.....uggh.

Either way, some good Canadian content and a show that is put together very well....great filming and footage....
Old 03-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Gone Hunting

My brother is one of the primary guides for Tommy Pidgin. All the stuff mentioned above with the mule deer hunts isnt even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to screw ups he has had. Theres been some awfully funny stories, at least im finding them funny, and im gettin em first hand. I too have seen most all the footage out there,,, just try to imagine what im getting told boys, and no Im not going into detail. Theres a heck of alot of tape that hits the cutting room floor with this show.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 03-08-2009, 07:33 PM
guidehunt

I doint watch his show but i happen to watch yesterday cause he was in alberta on a trophy mule deer hunt his last time here he took a managment buck i wanted to see what would happen on this hunt ,i have seen some big time t.v. hosts shoot deer high in the spine and i would say it was a lucky shot ,not a great shot but it does put them down and they almost always need a few more shots off camera .it happens to the best of us .
Old 03-08-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidehunt View Post
I doint watch his show but i happen to watch yesterday cause he was in alberta on a trophy mule deer hunt his last time here he took a managment buck i wanted to see what would happen on this hunt ,i have seen some big time t.v. hosts shoot deer high in the spine and i would say it was a lucky shot ,not a great shot but it does put them down and they almost always need a few more shots off camera .it happens to the best of us .
I'd like to know how someone justifies taking a "management buck" when deer in Alberta are free range and not managed, except by tags given out?
What a load!!
Cat
Old 03-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Oh it was a load alright! He shot the 2 point by accident, (missed the better deer and burned the small one). My brother and the other guide suggested for the film to be salvaged that they claim it was a management hunt, Tommy Pidgeon apparrently liked the sounds of it and it went to air as such. I guess he was in the dumps in a big way wondering what went wrong, and how he was going to salvage a show out of that deal untill the idea surfaced while still in the feild. There are some monumental screw ups that guy has had while hunting around this Brooks area i guess. Some pretty funny stuff for sure. I laugh and turn the channel when i see his show.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 03-09-2009, 04:15 AM

Default lol

yea i can hardly watch the guy, in my books hes a guides nightmare,
like the time he shot that moose three times out in that lake, why he didnt wait was beyond me.
But now he has really taken the cake on this one, so here he is demonstrating to a group of people how to use bear spray and sprayed himself in the eyes, wind blew it right in there, unreal, hes rolling around and putting water in it,
hes too much for me and i have to change the channel when hes on.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Banned

Once again everyone is chastizing a fellow hunter. Yes, he made a few errors, so what, I'm sure all of you guys have too, none of us are perfect. I think he has a realistic program that we can all relate too. Give the man a break. Just to have a hunting show in Canada is an accomplishment in light of the ridiculous liberal philosophies we're constantly subjected to.

We should be supporting each other not continuously cutting each other down. No wonder we can't get anwhere with the anti-hunting crowd, we're not smart enough to unite and fight....they are!
Old 03-10-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyboy View Post
Once again everyone is chastizing a fellow hunter. Yes, he made a few errors, so what, I'm sure all of you guys have too, none of us are perfect. I think he has a realistic program that we can all relate too. Give the man a break. Just to have a hunting show in Canada is an accomplishment in light of the ridiculous liberal philosophies we're constantly subjected to.

We should be supporting each other not continuously cutting each other down. No wonder we can't get anwhere with the anti-hunting crowd, we're not smart enough to unite and fight....they are!
I don't support, endorse, or in any way associate myself with people like that guy - pure Bubba...
Cat
Old 03-14-2009, 03:24 PM

That was my favourite episode. Yeah it could of been a luckey shot or not. At least he connected with a nice deer. Was the deer he shot the one he missed when he stalking that one? He said that the deer he shot was 9-10 years old. Too bad he missed that wide one when his elbow it the tank. But good show
Old 03-14-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I don't support, endorse, or in any way associate myself with people like that guy - pure Bubba...
Cat
x2 It amazes me some of the shots these guys take on various hunting shows.Absolutly no respect shown for the game they are pursuing..I have always held the highest respect for the Primos crew and there Stance on Low percentage kill shots.

Dont want to hijack this thread but the worst of the worst for flinging arrows is Jack Brittingham
Old 03-17-2009, 03:05 PM

The "Management Buck", that was a bad one as he has a nice 4x4 lined up with this dinker behind it. He shoots right over the back (looked to be a few inches) of the nice one and shoots the dinker, and then goes on to say that is the shot he wanted. Give me a break, management buck in Alberta

This is one of the last guys that should have a hunting show.
No class, high risk shooting, know it all.

We need guys that are more respecting, and teaching the way things should be done properly. Not teaching people bad habits.

I watch from time to time but only to see what stupid thing he is going to try next!!

Trev