Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-11-2009, 06:08 PM

Default fps per pound of draw weight.....

Bought a bow, Martin Bengal, 45-60 lbs. Bow is set to 45, which now I can manage good now, if I crank the weight up will I gain much more arrow speed, how far up do I need to go up to make a big difference, also due to medical condition I am sure max weight is out of the question, thinking of 5 pounds up, is it worth. Arrows are 27 inch , 100gr field tip, radial X weave 200.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:35 PM

on average you will get 3-5 fps per pound . Its not a whole lot but its something ..you can play around with your arrows however you are pretty light already so I dont know how much you have to spare .. If you want to get maximum speed drop down to 5 grains per pound . Your arrow weight so if your shooting 45 pounds your arrow weight should be no less than 225 grains .. The down fall to this is you lose hitting pounds .. Play around with your stuff and see what works best for you ..Goodluck
Old 03-11-2009, 08:22 PM

Few more questions, is it possible to were out a bow, and how can a person tell.
How often should the strings be changed? Whats the best ranges to sight in three pin cobra sights, 10, 20 ,30 metres? Can arrows get worn out after hours of target shooting? Is there a good range in Edmonton to practice, basement is okay, but I would like to shoot a little farther. Thanks guys.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 PM

Sherwood Park Archery in Sherwood Park and Trophy Book Archery in Spruce Grove both have lanes to shoot at. The prices are quite reasonable. I'll let Blackmamba answer the rest of the questions as he has more experience than I do. Otherwise you can go to www.archerytalk.com and see what they have to say.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 PM

the chance s of wearing out your bow are next to nill . If you take care of your strings and cables (WAXING) you should not have to change them more than twice a year . I only change mine twice a year and I shoot a lot . As for arrows , they will last a life time if they are taken care of aswell , obviously if you shoot a lot they may become cracked and or damaged from other arrow contact (shooting tight groups) but they should last a long time aswell. When it comes to sighting in pins , sight in what best suites your hunting applications , most people have 20 ,30 ,40 . I dont feel that a 10 is nessasary . thats just me though