Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-14-2009, 08:45 PM

Default Busted peep sight ----again

Well out practicing tonight, with only 16 days till i leave on my muskox hunt, so ive been shooting some arrows in the cold wheather, or somewhat cold anyway.

Well wouldnt yha know it, bammmm right in the cheek hits me my peep sight, im tired of these rubber bands on my peep, im going in tomro for a scorpion string and a string peep, im sure there is alot of guys here that shoot jsut a peep on the string, im sure it is alot better than the rubber band that pulls the peep straight.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:54 PM

g5 meta peep
Old 03-14-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Well out practicing tonight, with only 16 days till i leave on my muskox hunt, so ive been shooting some arrows in the cold wheather, or somewhat cold anyway.

Well wouldnt yha know it, bammmm right in the cheek hits me my peep sight, im tired of these rubber bands on my peep, im going in tomro for a scorpion string and a string peep, im sure there is alot of guys here that shoot jsut a peep on the string, im sure it is alot better than the rubber band that pulls the peep straight.
You may not like my advice 'slinger, but i DO have the answer to all your equipment problems.
get your self down to yon archery shop, get outfitted with a new stick bow of appropriate poundage, a bunch of two bladed broaheads, hip quiver, glove, and yer SET!!
oh, and don't forget the string wax !!
Cat
Old 03-14-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You may not like my advice 'slinger, but i DO have the answer to all your equipment problems.
get your self down to yon archery shop, get outfitted with a new stick bow of appropriate poundage, a bunch of two bladed broaheads, hip quiver, glove, and yer SET!!
oh, and don't forget the string wax !!
Cat
i love it dave, i somehow knew you were gonna say that, maybe oh maybe one of these days im gonna switch, but i should learn the compound first.
im gonna be in yoru neck of the woods here in a month and half hope to see ya.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
i love it dave, i somehow knew you were gonna say that, maybe oh maybe one of these days im gonna switch, but i should learn the compound first.
im gonna be in yoru neck of the woods here in a month and half hope to see ya.
Right on!
I'll get ya behind a stick and we'll have some fun!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-14-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:24 PM

I would not swap out strings right now.....I'd just put a new peep sight in without a tube. I hate tubed peeps for the reason that you stated, and if you put in a tubeless peep you should have no issues with it if put in right.

Put a new string on and you'll need to shoot the string enough to wear it in, THEN put the peep in place, then make all the adjustments to make sure your bow is in tune again.....with 16 days before a big hunt, not something I'd be tinkering with.

Buy a new peep and tie it in right, and you'll be set....
Old 03-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Thats pretty sound advise from Rack. Id reconsider that Slinger. 2 weeks before the hunt of a lifetime isnt alot of time for major changes, unless you have been shooting LOTS and are at the top of your game and in peak form. If thats the case, she wont take very long at all. Good luck and kill an Ox man!!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 03-14-2009, 10:30 PM

Isn't it true that some strings are too stretchy to go tubeless and it will constantly twist/move on you????
Old 03-14-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownonscents View Post
Isn't it true that some strings are too stretchy to go tubeless and it will constantly twist/move on you????
Once a string is broken in it shouldnt move. Years ago bow strings werent nearly as good of quality, but most/all bows are coming with pretty decent strings that will wear in and wont move once worn in. Some strings will take 50 arrows to wear em in and some will take 200.....

A custom or well built string will be more solid and wont creep as much though....less issues but still needs to be broken in a bit by shooting it to have it settle down....
Old 03-15-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I would not swap out strings right now.....I'd just put a new peep sight in without a tube. I hate tubed peeps for the reason that you stated, and if you put in a tubeless peep you should have no issues with it if put in right.

Put a new string on and you'll need to shoot the string enough to wear it in, THEN put the peep in place, then make all the adjustments to make sure your bow is in tune again.....with 16 days before a big hunt, not something I'd be tinkering with.

Buy a new peep and tie it in right, and you'll be set....
yea this is exactly why i posted this up there, i was really torn about changing the string out trev, i am really shooting good right now and i knew for soem reason that that tube wasnt gonna hold up in the cold wheather, the string isnt in bad shape but its deffintly used,

I think im gonna header down to the shop and put a peep on er and shoot a few before i actually make the change to the new string.

I was told that all these new strings are coming pre stretched and u dont need to do anythign but put em on and your ready to go.of course thats a sales pitch but i figured with maybe 50 arrows through em i would be ready,

If its gets to cold out here on the rig they have indoor shooting every tuesday and thursday at the schoool here in dawson so i am shooting alot.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:31 AM

My experience with tubeless peeps is that extreme (even moderate) temperature changes can drastically affect the amount of string rotation and therefore peep alignment. A perfectly preset and aligned (tubeless) peep at +15C can often be no where near the correct rotation at -15C. At -30C, well, too unpredictable to count on IMO. I have seen this time and time again.

For this reason, I would use the tubing to align the peep, as it will rotate the peep to the same spot regardless of temperature. I insist on using a tubing-aligned peep on my hunting bows. Just like anything, maintaining the peep tubing and replacing it regularly is the key to eliminating a failure.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:33 AM

Sounds like you're on the right track Pat. The string you have on there is worn in and will be easy to get that peep lined up. Even the best new ones do need some stretching to get to have zero peep twist. You're right, some advertisers like to make it seem like you can just pop a new peep in and have perfection from the start, but thats a very rare occurance.

With the cold weather you're headin into, you want something you can rely on. I'm assuming you're bringing your own portable press so you can swap out peeps/etc when you're on your hunt? Hell I'd bring a backup string on an important bowhunt, bring enough d-loop rope to tie a few new loops, and bring a couple extra peeps and some serving in my 'kit'.....
Old 03-15-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
My experience with tubeless peeps is that extreme (even moderate) temperature changes can drastically affect the amount of string rotation and therefore peep alignment. A perfectly preset and aligned (tubeless) peep at +15C can often be no where near the correct rotation at -15C. At -30C, well, too unpredictable to count on IMO. I have seen this time and time again.

For this reason, I would use the tubing to align the peep, as it will rotate the peep to the same spot regardless of temperature. I insist on using a tubing-aligned peep on my hunting bows. Just like anything, maintaining the peep tubing and replacing it regularly is the key to eliminating a failure.
There are also diff types of tubing and different qualities....that can have a big affect on the age and life of the tubing.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:52 PM

Another thought on going tubeless and if your peep has a bit of a twist.If you use a d loop that could be glued on in the straight alignment with the peep so then twist isnt an issue at all.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:37 PM

Default Peep?

You could try silicone peep tubing. I would maybe look at setting a new peep in the string you are using and then get a new one as well with a peep etc on it. That way you have a complete back up to the orginal string. I would personally go with a a string with a 20 or 22 strand 452X material. If the string is built under tension it will take very little shooting to set. Try contacting Allan at World's Best Strings or if you local shop carries a good quailtiy string go with it. Best of luck on your hunt.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:00 PM

yea thanks guys, i of course got all the spare parts for the hunt, today i put my spare tube on and went shooting again, boy its hard to change ill tell ya,feels so good where im shooting,

After shooting today i have decided to go with the spares and keep things the same for now, but i will deffintly have a new string and peep before i go bakc to wyoming for the elk tag i drew again thsi year thats for sure.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:47 PM

Did you look further into the differant varieties of peep tubing that is available? We ordered a roll for the store that is a silicone base and quite a bit hartier than the stuff that comes in the packs with new peeps. Might be worth your trouble to throw a foot of it in your tickle trunk if you can find some at your local shop.good luck on your hunt!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz View Post
Did you look further into the differant varieties of peep tubing that is available? We ordered a roll for the store that is a silicone base and quite a bit hartier than the stuff that comes in the packs with new peeps. Might be worth your trouble to throw a foot of it in your tickle trunk if you can find some at your local shop.good luck on your hunt!

yea thanx alot, i did and do have two extras in the bow case now, i was out shooting last night again and wer right back on track again. not long now only 14 days till i header out of here.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:04 AM

Some of the tubeless peeps split the string in 3 places and are just a horizontal circle inside the string. Ive found that if the peep hole is big enough you can still shoot if your string twists. The other peeps which are basically just a tube type put into the string are more finnacky to string twist.

One other thing that you may want to look at is a backup rest. Ive had people tell me that their plastic rests snapped off or froze up when it got really cold.

One guy said he had to duct tape his rest back together mid hunt so it would be usable.

Good luck!

Brett