Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-16-2009, 05:34 PM

Default Camo For Deer Season

Hey all,

My birthday is coming up, kind of (end of april), and since back country sports is closing out, i thought i would go check out the camo. Its pretty well picked over, and i got to thinking... What kind of camo do you guys use for deer season? I assume it would need to be quiet, warm, water/windproof. I am new to hunting, this year going to be my first, so i have no field experience. So what do you guys recommend? Not looking to break the bank, <$200 for pants/bib and a jacket. Looking for insulated, since it would probably get cold that time of year. Crazy albertan weather. Do any of you guys use coveralls?

thanks for the feedback ya'll

-Jeff.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 PM

Default Deer Season Camo

Personally I like the big break up patterns such as Asat or Predator. I leave the warmth to the layering I always wear and to be honest if it is raining hard enough for rain gear I'll most likely be pushing bush and therefore the camo pattern and being silent aren't nearly as important.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:26 PM

Fallen,

Look for a pattern that fits the area you'll be hunting. When I go to buy camo, I stand back as far as I can from it and see if it looks black. Alot of camo patterns are too dark for hunting in Alberta. What you wnat is something that will blend in to your area. Unless your hunting in Pine or Spruce, most of your colors will be be Green, white, yellow, orange, brown, and black. Myself, I usually hunt from a stand, so i like greens and browns for early season. Once the leaves are all gone, I switch to Whites. You look pretty silly walking through a field in Mid Oct ober wearing whites, but trust me, best bet for camo if hunting the aspens/poplar areas. If I'm hunting on the ground, then its strickly browns and tans until the snow flies, then whites.

Honestly I dont think there is a single pattern out there for all the alberta seasons, but if you had only to choose one, find one thats going to fit the area your going to hunt and the time of year your going to be hunting.

Best of luck,

ABH.

Last edited by Albertabowhunter; 03-22-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:25 AM

i second the predator, used old army camo before, and since going to predator i find that the animals don't notice you near as much. this is my 3rd year with predator, and love it. it is also afordable and can be ordered online. You have to understand that animals see differently than us and pick up any ultra-violet colors that come from many clothes detergents. You need a pattern that will break up your human form, more important than blending right in to the colors around you. Patterns that others think are great like mossy oak etc, have way too much detail and make you look like a black blob at 100m or more. that is why hunters years ago had alot of success with nothing more than the plaid shirts, more effective than the old "army green" that blended in more but didn't break up your outline. It is like when anyone sees a cop'd light bar in your rear-view mirror, you can pick it out easy, and that is what the human sillouette is to deer and other animals. A great website to read before you decide is:
http://whitetail.com/camo1.html
From my military days i learned the things that help you hide in the bush are color, sillouette, movement, texture, shape and shine. Good luck and do your own research, don't let the marketing fool you.....
Old 03-22-2009, 10:33 AM

In my experience...lol...doesn't matter whateer looks best to you I used uv killer on my regular clothes and stalked up on many deer undetected...

LOL its all preference...

But for my money its all mossy oak..
CP
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:35 AM

hi cardiacphil,
have a look at the whitetail website at
http://whitetail.com/camo1.html

and let me know what you think.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:04 AM

Default Silence is important too

once you have picked out your camo pattern,the next issue for me is how quiet the material is during movment,while walking ,going through bush,the tempurature,etc.and the most expensive may not always be the best.i hate sounding like a tarp flapping in the wind while walking down the trail.good luck