Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 PM

Default South Calgary Bow river fishing spots

Hello everybody, aim wondering ifanyone would tell me where there are any good spots for shore fishing towards the south end of Calgary. Any info would be helpful since it's my first time fishing the bow in years. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:27 PM

I see a lot of people setup along the shore on the Bow right where the QE2 crosses over it on the south side of the city. I was there last weekend and there was 6-7 vehicles parked there at 8am.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:32 PM

Fish Creek park is good fishing....the lower part has some great water mostly Browns....the upper part has braided channels and some big RBT
Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 PM

Ya theres a good spot just around the corner from the yellow house you no the one with the red roof.Theres also a sweet hole full of 10 lb browns just down from there about 50 yds.

LOL! if you goggle a Calgary map it will show you lots of access points.Better yet hop on a bike and ride the paths you'll see it all.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:28 AM

I tried near the 22x bridge today, downstream a bit.. it was really fast and didn't have any luck, tried a variety of colored mepps, 1 1/4 hrs and nothing, its time for bed now!

Anyone suggest a good spot for spinning in the dirrrty south??? or even better yet, what spinners are working the last week or two? PM or reply cheers
Old 07-22-2011, 10:44 AM

I tried down by the 22X last night, but the river was not my friend... Skunked. Thanks foe the replies.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 AM

I've was skunked there was weekend as well, but I plan on making that part of the bow my bitch one of these says I swear!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown303 View Post
I've was skunked there was weekend as well, but I plan on making that part of the bow my bitch one of these says I swear!
what were you using? and it help to avoid the crowd when fishing.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:54 PM

I was using a leach jig casting. I also tried some Len thompsons for a bit but no luck. Any suggestions on hooks for casting?
Old 07-22-2011, 02:29 PM

I've tried many different spinners and spoons over the years. Never had much success with any spoons. Mostly the panther martins work for me, and some mepps. But rapalas have always produced the biggest fish for me. I thought panther martins were great until I started using the brown and rainbow colored floating rapalas. Sometimes finding a spot where you can hold the rapala in the rapids works best, even if I have to get in the water.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:30 PM

I should have also said blue fox, though I've tried a few different ones, never caught anything, but I've heard many people have good luck with them.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:32 PM

22x bridge on north and south side are usually good, usually the south is better for me either up or down. There are many miles of river I've fished down from this bridge and other access points further down on the bow have always been good. I've fished almost every point from Calgary to Carseland.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:16 PM

Smile

Panther Martins, Blue Fox Vibrax Wild Eyes, Rapala's, they all work wicked in the Bow River for both species of trout. The trick is, what colors to use and what size of spinner or Rapala to chuck out. And then there is the third element, how to present the lure or spinner to the trout.

I avoid the crowds like I avoid the plague. Time of day and day of the week is also a factor in avoiding the crowds. Even if there are people fishing around me, they are not fishing like I fish. They may even be using the same hook but it is the system of fishing that produces the fish.

We are hunters of fish, so sometimes we need to move to many spots along the river bank to catch fish. So many stay in one location far too long. Keep moving and find the trout !!!!

~Mike.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowriverblog View Post
Panther Martins, Blue Fox Vibrax Wild Eyes, Rapala's, they all work wicked in the Bow River for both species of trout. The trick is, what colors to use and what size of spinner or Rapala to chuck out. And then there is the third element, how to present the lure or spinner to the trout.

I avoid the crowds like I avoid the plague. Time of day and day of the week is also a factor in avoiding the crowds. Even if there are people fishing around me, they are not fishing like I fish. They may even be using the same hook but it is the system of fishing that produces the fish.

We are hunters of fish, so sometimes we need to move to many spots along the river bank to catch fish. So many stay in one location far too long. Keep moving and find the trout !!!!

~Mike.
I agree with you Mike.