Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 10:23 PM

Default Window Shattered?

Wondering if this has ever happened to anyone on here?

Had my Toyota SUV parked out on the acreage for about 5 days, on the 4th day everything looked good. On the 5th day, the driver door window was shattered.

Couldn't have been someone trying to break in because not a single thing was moved, and I had a watch in the cup holder.
Wasn't a rock thrown at it, because there was no rock lol and if they came to pick up the rock they would have took the watch haha.

A friend of mine was saying he's heard it could happen from the Sun directly hitting it and shattering it?

Anyone ever experience something similar to this?
Old 05-22-2018, 10:27 PM

I had a sun roof shatter after sitting all day in the hot sun. I started driving and only got up to about 30km/hr, and it sounded like a gunshot.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:30 PM

Majority of glass pop out or pop in? If it popped out, likely from heat.

LC

My buddy had it happen to his Rav4. The sun heats up the interior and the pressure builds up. That was the first I had heard of it.
JH

Yes, a friend was standing next to his truck window when it shattered.
Rare but I guess it does happen.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:36 PM

I lost a rear window on a Chev 1500 the same way. Someone suggested leaving a window open a tiny bit to avoid a pressure build up. Seems to work.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:57 PM

Not doubting the heat theory but.....any lawn mowing going on nearby?
Old 05-22-2018, 11:03 PM

Exactly my thoughts
Old 05-23-2018, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogwiththumbs View Post
No lawn mowing but right next to a CN Track, you think the vibrations?
But there was also another 5 cars parked right next too it, and the Train has never caused any issues in the past, but at the same time, this has never happened either.

I guess its a bit more common then I suspected, with the heat and pressure. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:49 AM

Has the vehicle been in an accident? Was the door damaged?

If the door was slightly warped in an accident and stress was put on the window it may break.

I have a Jeep Cherokee that had been in an accident, I was mowing the lawn and the back window shattered. I think a normal window in a normal door could have taken the hit from a stick and been OK. A stressed one not so much.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:16 AM

Pressure doesn't build inside a vehicle from heat, vehicles are vented through various body vents, heating and cooling system vents. If vehicles were air tight they would float.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:27 AM

My wife bought a new GM car in 2012 and took it home and the next morning the rear window had blown out and it was parked in our garage. Called the dealership and told them what happened and they basically said go pound sand. I know windows are not covered under new car warranty but what a way to start a relationship off with especially with 23 km on it. She took it back to them and she said that when they cleared the remains of the glass off she saw the tech guy use a dremel tool on one side of the hatch frame to smooth a section out. When I confronted the service manager about it he flatly denied it and we had to pay for the window. We of course will not be visiting that dealership again and I just love it when they call to see if we want to trade it in on a new one.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post
My wife bought a new GM car in 2012 and took it home and the next morning the rear window had blown out and it was parked in our garage. Called the dealership and told them what happened and they basically said go pound sand. I know windows are not covered under new car warranty but what a way to start a relationship off with especially with 23 km on it. She took it back to them and she said that when they cleared the remains of the glass off she saw the tech guy use a dremel tool on one side of the hatch frame to smooth a section out. When I confronted the service manager about it he flatly denied it and we had to pay for the window. We of course will not be visiting that dealership again and I just love it when they call to see if we want to trade it in on a new one.
My sunroof cost $1700, and both the dealership and Hyundai insisted that something must have hit the glass, even though I was the only vehicle around. I researched online, and found that this was not uncommon, and a class action suit was being unitiated in the USA. Insurance covered all but $500 under comprehensive. Now when they call trying to sell me a new vehicle, I tell them that I will never but a vehicle from them again, because of the roof. When I take the vehicle in for service, they no longer bother trying to sell me a new vehicle, unless there is a new salesman.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Pressure doesn't build inside a vehicle from heat, vehicles are vented through various body vents, heating and cooling system vents. If vehicles were air tight they would float.
^^^this^^^

It was either an imperfection in the glass or hit with something hard.

The heat theory is what can cause the glass to shatter due to the internal heat of the tempered glass. In the tempering process the outside of the glass compresses, so the inside is squished and trying to push out. If the outer layer hasn't been cooled enough in the tempering process the outer layer that is in compression won't be thick enough so when the internal glass temperature heats up, it's trying to expand even more, so if the exterior skin of the glass wasn't tempered properly and the outer layer of tempering wasn't thick enough, boom! The internal pressure from the heat will blow up the glass. Sometimes if the outer layer is too thin it'll break just by moving it.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:21 AM

I was walking beside my Duramax in the driveway on a hot summer day and my driver side window exploded right in front of me. It wasn't really an explosion, more of a pop, but I couldn't figure out what caused it.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:33 AM

Bird?
Old 05-23-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cuz1 View Post
Bird?
stray bullet ??
Old 05-23-2018, 12:30 PM

Had it happen on a new 1993 chevy silverado, and a 1996 Yukon. Both new vehicles. Sitting in the sun. I learned to crack the window a bit when we're having high heat like we are now in Edmonton.

BW
Old 05-23-2018, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogwiththumbs View Post
I did this to my dads truck when I was a kid.........
Old 05-23-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I did this to my dads truck when I was a kid.........

My wife would be a gold medal biathlete, if they used yard man, ride on mowers instead of anshutz .22's.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:13 PM

It's a terrible thing when someone breaks into a truck through the sunroof. Leaves a hell of a mess but at least vandalism or theft insurance covers it

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-23-2018, 05:29 PM

Old 05-27-2018, 11:12 PM

happened on my 08 Titan.It had been in the hot sun all day at work.I drove about 6 blocks and phone rang so pulled over on a side street and answered the phone.Nobody and no traffic in sight.Was talking to girlfriend and all of a sudden drivers door glass exploded.It was loud enough that she thought someone had rear ended me.Even had glass in the box of the truck.Scared the crap out of me
Old 05-28-2018, 08:40 AM

First off the amount of "pressure" caused by "hot air" trapped in a vehicle is absolutely not the answer. It's not even enough to be able to measure let alone place enough pressure on the glass to cause a blow out. Not physically possible here on earth - but let's not get into that.

Either way ........

All vehicle glass is tempered.

1) This process makes the glass more resistant to critical failures from impact, or pressure on the flat surfaces HOWEVER the edges when hit (impact) or put under pressure will fail.

2) Different materials like glass, your rubber seal on the door, or the steel of your car door all have unique thermodynamic properties (some are great conductor while others are not) and all of these materials expand and contract at different rates.

3) The most likely event is that something like a steel door jamb expanded (or contracted) in a spot at or near the edge of the glass and put enough pressure on it to cause a failure.

We have had this happen on a machine twice (a curved bubble front windshield) on a tele-handler (zoom boom).

One of these events was caught on our security camera.

Twice on the same machine on a sunny day.

After the second incident the manufacturer's service rep actually removed some material from two of the seating surfaces on the recessed surface (imagine a tray) the glass sat it as per manufacturer's recommendations and it stopped happening. These sudden blow out were occurring to other customers too and I guess that's what it was - the steel when expanding in the heat frame was putting enough pressure on the weak edge to cause a blow out.