Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-11-2017, 04:20 PM

Default Should have had a bigger gun...?

Interesting story, very curious what he used on the bison? Lucky to be able to tell the story I'd say! And what is the difference between a 'raging bison' and a regular one? Journalistic license?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/n...grim-1.4398582

As an aside, I've seen and had worse damage to the face from a puck, than that little boo boo he has with the big bandage....

Mind you that moment where he says 'and then he starts snorting, and oh my Jesus he's going to charge me again!' would be a sphincter pucker moment. Glad he could tell the story.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 11-11-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:56 PM

From another news version of the story I think he was supposed to have used a .338 winchester magnum. I honestly have no idea why this hunt turned out like it did
Old 11-11-2017, 04:57 PM

I saw this a couple of days ago from a different source. The article described a .338 - not sure whether that was Win Mag or Lapua.

edit - Swede beat me to it.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 11-11-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I saw this a couple of days ago from a different source. The article described a .338 - not sure whether that was Win Mag or Lapua.

edit - Swede beat me to it.
Glad you saw it too- I looked and looked for that story but couldn't find it, thought I was losing my marbles
Old 11-11-2017, 05:32 PM

tracking a wounded critter with the rifle on your back??!!
Cat
Old 11-11-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
That's a Darwin decision for sure.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-11-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Cat
Even after specifically being told to "have your gun ready".

Buddy was using a .338, took 3 shots at it, seems like some range time may be in order.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Cat
This. (No law against being stupid unfortunately).

I've had to use a fast 338 to stop a whitetail charge once, after nailing him with it the first time across the chest. He went down 10 feet in front of me, hardly any ribcage left on the opposite side. Definitely was an aggravated animal. If I had pulled the trigger 3 seconds later, I wouldn't be here now.

And I nearly got skewered by a big bull elk once near the Banff post office, while sitting at a picnic table reading a book. Thing climbed over the table at me. Good thing I was paying attention.

A goddmn bison? I'd never would go after one with anything less than a 416. And preferably with a Sabatti.
http://store.prophetriver.com/sabatt...-wd-bl-24-bbl/

I had those animals sunning themselves outside my office window for months at one job location. Docile, but bigger than you might think. Would hate to see one get all riled up.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:40 PM

A little far back for too much detail...

But my wife’s Grandma lost her cousin to a bison near Fort chip years ago. Shot the bison with a 30/30 it turned and trampled him. I believe they said it broke is his neck.

However I still think a 338 with 225 grains or more is a good choice. Am I missing something?
Old 11-11-2017, 07:58 PM

I think the biggest problem in this case was waiting just 20 minutes. Not sure where it was hit (number of shots seems high - maybe they weren't aware how low a Bison's heart is?) but I usually wait 15-20 mins on a deer. I'd think a Bison would merit a bit more time.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 11-11-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
A little far back for too much detail...

But my wife’s Grandma lost her cousin to a bison near Fort chip years ago. Shot the bison with a 30/30 it turned and trampled him. I believe they said it broke is his neck.

However I still think a 338 with 225 grains or more is a good choice. Am I missing something?
Once in a while you can come across a situation which is not optimal. While most animals might go off and lay down to die somewhere, you can occasionally get one which will immedietely whirl and come straight for you despite a good first shot.

That's why I've always preferred a rifle which can break a lot of bone and do a lot more damage than typically necessary. A bison, being approx the same weight and build as a cape buffalo, should be pursued with a weapon typically used for a cape buffalo in case it starts behaving like one.