Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-03-2011, 05:41 AM

Default So, it’s back to the Bow River.

For the last week or so, I’ve been putting my motto (below) to the test and have been getting out super early to see if I can hook up with the bigger cruising fish. They tend to be a lot more willing to feed in the wee hours of the morning trying to catch their first meal of the day. In addition, they usually commit to the fly much better in the early A.M.

Streamers were the key. Here’s a couple from the past week or so…

P.S. The Brown’s are coming back to their winter holes now.

Tight-lines,
John
Old 11-03-2011, 06:49 AM

Nice pics, thanks Im going to explore and try to find some of these 'winter holes' as I am still a brown trout virgin and a bow river rookie
Old 11-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Banned

Nice rocky.

I've been fishing some deep holes consistently and have found that although a lot of the browns have moved out for the spawn, there were still some numbers. The browns I was getting were still light with no spawning colours.

We were watching about a dozen browns on their redds yesterday and they were dark like your fish in the pic.

I can only assume that the browns dont spawn every year.

How do you stop your eyelets from freezing up or do you not worry about it?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:14 AM

Smile nice fish

nice fish....beauty off a brown,was out early in am yesterday too..lots off salad in water right now....
Old 11-03-2011, 10:37 AM

I was catching lots of spawning color browns as early as Aug 12 this year. I can't remember when was the last spawning color brown I caught (~maybe last month or so?).
My guess is that most of them had spawned.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Nice rocky.

I've been fishing some deep holes consistently and have found that although a lot of the browns have moved out for the spawn, there were still some numbers. The browns I was getting were still light with no spawning colours.

We were watching about a dozen browns on their redds yesterday and they were dark like your fish in the pic.

I can only assume that the browns dont spawn every year.

How do you stop your eyelets from freezing up or do you not worry about it?
Someone once told me that only about half of the mature Browns spawn each year. The others just hang out where they are. From what I've noticed it seems pretty accurate.

I usually don't fish if it's colder than minus three degrees Celsius. Any colder and I find the eyelets freeze up which is no fun at all. It was plus 5 early the other day when I was fishing the Bow.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnavi View Post
nice fish....beauty off a brown,was out early in am yesterday too..lots off salad in water right now....
Thanks!
Yes, the weeds are really dying off now. It's becoming a pain in the *****.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlin0122 View Post
I was catching lots of spawning color browns as early as Aug 12 this year. I can't remember when was the last spawning color brown I caught (~maybe last month or so?).
My guess is that most of them had spawned.
One thing that I've noticed this year compared to other years is the Browns are hanging around, some, but not all of the spawning areas. I think that they are done, but they are taking longer than usual to gain their strength before dispersing to other areas in the Bow.
It's been a weird year and everything has been a few weeks late starting with Run-off so it would make sence that they may be spawning a bit late as well. You are right though, usually they are done by now.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
Nice pics, thanks Im going to explore and try to find some of these 'winter holes' as I am still a brown trout virgin and a bow river rookie
A virgin! Wow!!! Just remember, for the most part Brown's are Lazy (or just Smart). When it comes to a meal they like sitting in calmer waters and let the meal drift to them. Use a Streamer and cast it out into the faster water, and swing it into the tail-out of the run and if you did it right, hang on tight! I typically catch the bigger Browns in the winter.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfishen View Post
A virgin! Wow!!! Just remember, for the most part Brown's are Lazy (or just Smart). When it comes to a meal they like sitting in calmer waters and let the meal drift to them. Use a Streamer and cast it out into the faster water, and swing it into the tail-out of the run and if you did it right, hang on tight! I typically catch the bigger Browns in the winter.
I'm definitely going to give it a go. I think I will catch a brown before ice is off, on the fly, in the bow! I'm determined, and when I want something, I have that dumb look in my face until I get it. This winter will be fun, lots on the agendy, including moving into my new house (if it ever gets finished) first ice seasons, winter fishing the bow, and can't forget, SNOWBOARDING busssy season for me, and did I mention I ref minor hockey too? lol