Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-24-2002, 07:23 PM
Brady

Default Hows It Goin Rob

Hey there Rob, I am sure we will read it in the outdoorsmen, but I was just wondering how your winter is goin? Getting lots of flat tails and yotes? Last time I was down at Drayton I noticed that there were a lot of coyotes around so I imagine there are a few down around Buck Lake/ Alder Flats area(you trapping round this area or am I having a brain freeze). Oh well hope you are getting rid of some of them yotes, I know of one farmer around Berrymoor that has lost one calf to them.

Good Luck Anyways
Brady
Old 01-25-2002, 12:45 AM
Rob

Hey Brady,

I've been putting in time around Genesee and Evansburg and haven't had a chance to get back to Buck Lake since November but plan to get back there soon (Hope Rocky isn't readin' this or he'll be taking away my trapping rights on his land and lookin' for someone else).

Just came in from boarding a beaver after spending the day near Evansburg. Haven't been having a whole lot of luck with 'yotes so far but I've managed 7 to date. I can't figure it out but the suckers have got me pegged. I've seen twice now in the snow where they've stopped dead in their tracks right at one of my snares, turned around and headed off in the opposite direction. Snares have been boiled and everything. Them K-9s ain't stupid. Got a couple of bait stations up now so maybe my luck will improve.

I've also been following a pack of wolves and have been trying to nail one of them but so far no go. I've found the remains of two deer and a moose where the wolves have made kills all in an area of about 1 square mile. I'm hoping I can slow down the feasting.

As for beaver I've taken 21 so far this winter. I've got two new lodges I've just set up on and have found a couple more that I can work as well, so that number should increase. I've also been asked to clean out some fox from an area near Evansburg and will be meeting the landowner this weekend, so I'm managing to stay busy . . . and outdoors - what more could a guy ask for? Gotta' love trappin'.

Take care,
Rob
Old 01-26-2002, 05:58 AM
interested

Default interested

im not a hunter but interested in trappin.interested in teaching?I have truck&camper(own accom),love ice fishing,outdoors,r u interested?
Old 01-29-2002, 02:16 AM
Brady

Default Re: interested

Hey Rob
Good to hear that you are having success in your trapping ventures. How close to Evanswhistle are you seeing them wolves? A couple years ago the inlaws saw four of them by the big gravel pit south of town on hwy 22, they couldn't believe their eyes seeing them there. Three years ago, before I moved to Hinton, I saw many foxes between Drayton and Entwhisle so maybe you can score a couple of them little buggers too.

Good Luck
Brady
Old 01-30-2002, 12:26 AM
Rob

Default Re: interested

Hey Brady,

The wolves I'm trailin' are on the west end of Chip Lake.
Ken Bailey wrote about "bold wolves" in a recent issue of Alberta Outdoorsmen. There is a good chance the wolf he talked about is one of the ones I'm after. Can only say I'll be lucky if I trap one but I'll keep trying - keepin' my fingers crossed.

Rob