Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Banned

Talking Sheep Hunting Gun/Caliber Questions

So whats the ideal sheep hunting rifle and caliber and why?

How much does it weigh?

How fast does it shoot?

Bolt or single shot action?

Has anyone taken a slower lighter hitting cartridge like a 7-08 and just learned it to 5-600 yrds via a bp reticle or clicking turrets?

Has anyone had a leupold built up from a lightweight model like a fixed 4 or 6x or 2-8x vary with an elevation turret to use for the longer stuff in the name of weight savings? (or stupid idea?)

I'm just starting to look into things and so far i'm not a reloader...holding off as long as i can on that or the next thing i know i'll be building custom guns, reloading, spending untold time shooting at ranges and building a 1000 yrd go getter that weighs 7 lbs all in, and all that time i'll likely be getting a divorce too...so i'm really trying to stick to the factory stuff if possible and avoid that whole divorce thing.

Current gun which 'will do' for now is a tikka lam/ss that weighs exactly 7 lb 15.5 ounces empty, thats no sling, leupy bases/rings, burris ff2 3-9x40 with bp reticle and a five shot mag...i think its 8 lb 6 ounce with 5 rounds in the mag and nothing up tube. It shoots fusion 130 gr factory ammo 5 shots into 1.5 easily and repeatable in my hands group after group(pretty sure the gun can do better but i'm lazy when shooting and don't concentrate too hard). I thought about finding lighter rings/bases and maybe skeletonizing the stock or replacing and then maybe even a lighter leupy scope? but then nixed the idea as probably too much effort/money so might as well start with new project? Stick with this gun and just lose the 2 or 3 pounds off my gut or save for a dreamy ultralight dedicated mountain gun in the future?

Looking for any and all thoughts on what makes the ideal sheep rifle and caliber.