Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 PM

Default Help me decide on flasher/finder!

Hello all,
I have decided to purchase some electronics for ice fishing. Originally I had settled on the Marcum Showdown Troller 2.0. But now two "finder" types have me wondering.

-I run and gun, very mobile...."troll"
-I do not use a tent/hut or any shelter so needs to work in minus 30 or less
-My use for it is to find the fish and see what depth if fishing deep. After I am not sure if I will use once on fish or not....only time will tell
-using for walleye and pike, depths 4-60 fow
-wouldn't mind having it work very deep for the occasional Cold Lake Lakers trip but not primary concern.
-I will be doing very little fishing around other such devices so I do not think I need to worry about interference.

The units I am considering:
-Marcum Showdown Troller 2.0
-Lowrance Elite 4X Ice Machine
-Humminbird 345C Ice

The Lowrance and Humminbird units seem like better bang for your buck, having a graph and a flasher mode. Is the flasher mode on these more of a gimmick? Will the screens work in minus 30? I know the Showdown is a cheaper unit but I mostly want it to find fish. I am open-minded for this sort of thing. Have done many searches but have not found the answers I am looking for yet.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:57 PM

I have the Lowrance X-67, which is basically the same as the elite 4x, been using it for 3 seasons now and its been a pretty good unit. It is nice to have both the graph and flasher mode, I usually run just the flasher, but in heavy weed cover the graph sometimes makes it easier to see what under the weeds. It also nice if your BSing with someone and not paying attention as it will show you that something came through for a couple of seconds as the screen scrolls by. I've only gotten interference from some Marcum units, but have only fished beside them and Vexilars. Seems to work out in the cold (although I fish in a portable), but I do fish at temps down into the -30's and use it for setting my tip ups and have never noticed the cold effect the screen. As for depths, I've used it out on Spray in 100 FOW with no issues. Mine does double duty as I can use it in the summer on the boat, which was my main reason for getting it. Other than that, not much else I can tell you, but I am curious as to why you would not want to use it once you find the fish as you say, unless your looking for more of a challenge or something...
Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Banned

Marcum LX5,6,7 or 9.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:32 PM

Ice 55!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:36 PM

Marcum lx-5. You will have no regrets. Stay away from the elite-4. I have an elite-5 that I set up for ice fishing this year. Its better for summer use, the flasher is uncomparable to a stand alone flasher, and in cold weather it will freeze and become useless.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:37 PM

I picked up a Marcum Lx-7 on Boxing Day. I'll be using it for the first time on New Year's Day. I've been playing with it in simulator mode to familiarize myself with the settings. I think it's going to be a game changer.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 PM

Default Humminbird

If you go with a unit like the Humminbird 386ci combo. You get way more for you money. It cost more than the ice 55, but you can use it in both summer and winter. It's a portable unit with GPS, flasher and sonar. I have one and use it all year long.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:49 PM

I also use a 385CI combo. I like it because its very portable, has GPS, and a slot for a Navionics chip. Takes you to the spot on the spot every time. With the Navionics you can even scope out lakes you haven't even been to and check out potential spots and mark way points. Hell, I have waypoints marked on Mille Lacs and Lake of the Woods. Maybe I'll go there someday so I can use them, lol.