Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-15-2014, 11:48 PM

Default Whitefish questions (Calling Lake in particular)

I would like to catch some whitefish through the ice. I have done a lot of searching and there is mixed info. Some say go deep, others say shallow.

One post I searched said either first ice (like end of November), or late March when the burbot are spawning. Can you catch them successfully throughout the winter? Is it too late or must I wait until March?

I have tried deep with wire worms and Wetaskiwin Specials in about 40+ feet of water with no luck.

Do the depths change depending on time of year? Sandy or gravel or rock or mud bottom preferred?

I will be heading up to Calling Lake to fish this Christmas and wanted to try for them. I know they are quite large in that lake as have seen them netted and averaged 4-7 pounds if that makes any difference. I have also heard some lakes they just don't bite.

Not looking for spots, just what kind of bottom, depth and if the lures and time of year is right. Going to try regardless. I have a Lowrance fish finder with ice transducer as only electronic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to give them walleyes less pressure and focus on a less popular fish!

Cheers,
Old 12-16-2014, 08:21 AM

Calling use to have a big comercial fishery for whites I belive they net deep in 50 fow I have never seen them in shallow on this lake.

Although if you could get there safely early I might try a sand flat on the north west corner.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:49 AM

There's no way they can average 4-7lbs so don't get your hopes up. The biggest white I've pulled was out of MacGregor at just over 4lbs, while most are within the 2-3lbs range. That being said, go shallow, flat area, a good mix of sand/mud and low weed. Dangle WW about mid depth.

Last edited by Macdrizzle; 12-16-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmbreeze View Post
I would like to catch some whitefish through the ice. I have done a lot of searching and there is mixed info. Some say go deep, others say shallow.

One post I searched said either first ice (like end of November), or late March when the burbot are spawning. Can you catch them successfully throughout the winter? Is it too late or must I wait until March?

I have tried deep with wire worms and Wetaskiwin Specials in about 40+ feet of water with no luck.

Do the depths change depending on time of year? Sandy or gravel or rock or mud bottom preferred?

I will be heading up to Calling Lake to fish this Christmas and wanted to try for them. I know they are quite large in that lake as have seen them netted and averaged 4-7 pounds if that makes any difference. I have also heard some lakes they just don't bite.

Not looking for spots, just what kind of bottom, depth and if the lures and time of year is right. Going to try regardless. I have a Lowrance fish finder with ice transducer as only electronic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to give them walleyes less pressure and focus on a less popular fish!

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdrizzle View Post
There's no way they can average 4-7lbs so don't get your hopes up. The biggest white I've pulled was out of MacGregor at just over 4lbs, while most are within the 2-3lbs range. That being said, go shallow, flat area, a good mix of sand/mud and low weed. Dangle WW about mid depth.
There is big difference between lakes and yes they can average that size there are different white subspecies and forage also plays a big role.

I would go where they usually net and jig them with a spoon...calling actually has a spit tail shiner pooulation so a silver croc jigging spoon should work, a flasher would be worth its weight in gold.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:16 AM

I caught a 4 lb 7 oz white in 6 feet of water fishing for walleye @ Calling a few years ago. He hit a pink fireball jig with a 4'' minnow. They are in there, that was the only one I have ever caught personally from that lake. I have seen large schools of smaller ones in the old perch haunts with the underwater camera too.

Use proven tactics and drill lots of holes!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:30 PM

I don't really what care what size I catch, that is just what I have seen in nets and what others have told me who have netted.

I was also told that they had to legally net in 50+ fow for supposed less by catch and if they could, would have netted in shallower water.

Definitely going to have to try different depths with sand bottom and mud bottom. My Lowrance works like a flasher, real time and all so that will have to do.

Ill try the silver croc jigging spoon and the WW I think means Williams Wobbler? I do use a lot of pink jigs tipped with minnows but will try them also.

Thank you for the responses, I will let you know how it works! They better be hungry here in late December and January!
Old 12-17-2014, 02:45 AM

Warmbreeze,

I too have tried to crack the whitefish puzzle at Calling. Have a cabin in the town site and neighbours had a commercial licence. The whites are 4 - 7 #, ... and better.

50 - 100 per 100 yard net in 50 FOW is correct. I have smoked lots from the lake and they are all full of a small red "blood worm" which is I think mayfly larvae.

At Pigeon in the middle of the lake I used to jig a small gold Kastmaster spoon right off the bottom.

At Gull in the deep we "bottom bounce" a "wedding bell" off the bottom, and that works.

I have spoke to people who where successful jigging a small heavy silver spoon in the perch spots off the Provincial Park / Poplar Street for limits of big whites, so it can be done.

I have caught at last light at Strawberry creek on a small white fuzzy grub jig a whitefish, so they do eat minnows like in Wabamun.

Love to hear how it goes. Commercial fishing has been cancelled so this may be the only way to get whites from the lake for smoking.

Drewski
Old 12-17-2014, 07:25 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
and the WW I think means Williams Wobbler?
I think it is Wire Worm.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 12-17-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I don't really what care what size I catch, that is just what I have seen in nets and what others have told me who have netted.

I was also told that they had to legally net in 50+ fow for supposed less by catch and if they could, would have netted in shallower water.

Definitely going to have to try different depths with sand bottom and mud bottom. My Lowrance works like a flasher, real time and all so that will have to do.

Ill try the silver croc jigging spoon and the WW I think means Williams Wobbler? I do use a lot of pink jigs tipped with minnows but will try them also.

Thank you for the responses, I will let you know how it works! They better be hungry here in late December and January!
Sorry, WW = wireworm
Old 12-17-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdrizzle View Post
I was there last year when they were pulling nets, and yes they are that big. I'm going to miss smoking them this year, I'm also puzzled on how to catch them.