Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-27-2013, 08:43 PM

Default Where do Arctic Grayling winter?

Do grayling say in the small rivers and creeks they inhabit during the summer or do they move into the usually small lakes that feed the creeks?

I am curious if you could catch some through the ice. Regulations say you would have to fish for them in a lake during these months, but if I could find a pool in a creek that would be fun to just watch them as well.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:39 AM

Tampa bay?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:35 AM

it depends on the river or stream they are in. lots of the smaller creeks or streams that are tribs of the bigger rivers (Athabasca to name one) they usually migrate to the bigger river to over winter. some of the larger rivers like the Little Smoky they overwinter in the main river in the larger pools. some rivers they do both.

about the only lake i can think of that they would overwinter in is maybe Freeman Lake by Swan Hills. there are a couple of pothole lakes down south that they are stocked in, but not sure if they are open in winter to fishing or not. might be other lakes up north, but don't know of any off hand.

Rgds
Mike
Old 11-28-2013, 03:10 PM

Look on the fish stocking report for 2013...I know they stocked a couple thousand somewhere...maybe start from there
Old 11-28-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Tampa bay?
Duh....of course not!

Those would be called FLORIDA grayling.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 06-17-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
it depends on the river or stream they are in. lots of the smaller creeks or streams that are tribs of the bigger rivers (Athabasca to name one) they usually migrate to the bigger river to over winter. some of the larger rivers like the Little Smoky they overwinter in the main river in the larger pools. some rivers they do both.

about the only lake i can think of that they would overwinter in is maybe Freeman Lake by Swan Hills. there are a couple of pothole lakes down south that they are stocked in, but not sure if they are open in winter to fishing or not. might be other lakes up north, but don't know of any off hand.

Rgds
Mike
Nope, their is a weir and can't get into it from freeman creek.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:42 PM

Some will winter in the bigger rivers /pools and others will find those small lakes/ beaver dams .. I caught one in Obed Lake a couple years ago in the winter it has a feeder creek into the Athabasca river

Food for Thought

David
Old 06-17-2014, 09:02 PM

I went to wedge pond near Calgary this past November during first ice. Caught 3 grayling through the ice, it was an interesting session for sure!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:16 PM

They stock 800 Grayling in Wedge Pond each year. It is also catch and release there. Has to be a good population going.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:57 PM

Default Lakes and rivers

I think most grayling up here go into the big rivers for winter but some old guys talk of a few lakes up in the cheecham hills(Stoney Mountain) that grayling winter in.

This brings me to my next question... When do the grayling return to the smaller creeks? I know fall is great fishing but when should the small creeks get booming?
Old 06-17-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
I think most grayling up here go into the big rivers for winter but some old guys talk of a few lakes up in the cheecham hills(Stoney Mountain) that grayling winter in.

This brings me to my next question... When do the grayling return to the smaller creeks? I know fall is great fishing but when should the small creeks get booming?
Right now.

One year I fished opening weekend or weekend after and it was a massacre in the small creeks.

Two weeks later only a few and they had moved on from spawning.

Spring is skinny water, summer is spread out but IMO mostly medium water.
Fall is big water and pooled up.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:20 AM

Default Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
Right now.

One year I fished opening weekend or weekend after and it was a massacre in the small creeks.

Two weeks later only a few and they had moved on from spawning.

Spring is skinny water, summer is spread out but IMO mostly medium water.
Fall is big water and pooled up.
I explored a couple very nice creeks 2 days ago and both feed into medium rivers that hold grayling, but alas no signs of grayling. I will try them once more just to be certain. I have unfortunately found quite a few beautiful creeks with great gravel and rock sections and ideal water conditions but no fish. Watching from the banks I saw no rises, no rises to my flies and no nymph action. Perhaps no fish at all
Old 06-18-2014, 07:08 AM
Banned

Lake athabasca... all year... monsters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post

Rgds
Mike
Old 06-18-2014, 12:37 PM

I have nothing significant to add, but interesting thread all the same.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:35 PM

I found some creeks that hold them between Wabasca-Sandy Lake-Slave Lake in the Martin Hills area. I could only find them up to 5 inches long! Going to try to search for more when the ground isn't super saturated with rainwater.

Just too little summertime and to many things to explore and fish to catch!
Old 06-18-2014, 01:36 PM

binzer32, I am going to have to go up there after all the great things you have said. Hopefully sooner than later!
Old 06-18-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
I explored a couple very nice creeks 2 days ago and both feed into medium rivers that hold grayling, but alas no signs of grayling. I will try them once more just to be certain. I have unfortunately found quite a few beautiful creeks with great gravel and rock sections and ideal water conditions but no fish. Watching from the banks I saw no rises, no rises to my flies and no nymph action. Perhaps no fish at all
I find with the small creeks its. Very limited amount of time and highly dependant on time/temp/water levels.

Is this creek dry or very small in the summer?
Maybe it's too small.

Like I said before I've caught 100 grayling from a pool and two weeks later nothing.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmbreeze View Post
binzer32, I am going to have to go up there after all the great things you have said. Hopefully sooner than later!
Ya you won't regret it. I miss it everyday.lets go... haaa
Old 06-18-2014, 09:40 PM

Default I guess so

These creeks do get pretty small mid summer. But I know of others in the same size range that still hold fish in the deep pools with little running water. It may be a lost cause. Perhaps I should try closer to the main river and work up these tribs to see if it pays off as opposed to trying in the spots that just look nice.

So how does one catch grayling in lake Athabasca ? Small spinners or flys from shore in th shallow bays? Or in the mouth of small creeks dumping In to the lake?
Old 03-09-2021, 12:51 PM

Warmbreeze, I have been on the search for Grayling in the Athabasca, slave lake, Martin hills area. I am curious as to where you have found them in the Wabasca-sandy lake-slave lake area. Thanks!