Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-27-2010, 05:53 PM

Default Can you still Deal???

Back in the old days, we rarely paid full price for anything other than groceries and gas. It was expected that for stuff like cars, and houses, and furniture, and jewelery, there would be some negotiation.

I assume, the same was true when buying guns from a local merchant. Is that still true with the infestation of the big box stores??? Is it possible to 'deal' on guns at a place like Wholesale Sports, or Bass Pro Shops? Obviously, it would depend on the size of the sale, but what kind of reduction could you expect? 5%? 10%? Just curious.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:20 PM

never happened at WSS or Russells. The only deals I ever got on sporting goods was back in Grande Prairie at Barton's....he would deal on bows, guns or optics...the best service I have come across.
I think the big box like WSS or BPS are like the sporting Walmarts...be interesting to hear if anyone says different....
WSS after Christmas was having a sale and I asked the guy at the counter which guns were priced on sale...he threw me the inventory list and said see yourself....
lovely
Old 04-27-2010, 09:12 PM

I was interested in a WSS purchase a while back and it would have been $3000 or more. I asked about a deal and heard crickets. Stunned looks all around. I didn't buy it. I think they have the best price 'they' are willing to sell for posted. If you think you can do better then it won't be at WSS.
Another time I wanted to see the gun, a picture of the wood, and could get no help on that. I didn't feel like taking a chance on getting something ugly when paying big bucks.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 04-27-2010, 09:30 PM

There's the difference between a big chain store and an owner-operated one for you. You'll find that the owner ( I can't recollect his name) at Battle River Sports in Stettler will usually barter with you. I'm sure you'll find other small vendors will do so as well. Some may have to drop prices on inventory that they bought when the Canadian Dollar was weaker or it'll just warm their shelves while flying off the shelves of the competition.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
There's the difference between a big chain store and an owner-operated one for you. You'll find that the owner ( I can't recollect his name) at Battle River Sports in Stettler will usually barter with you. I'm sure you'll find other small vendors will do so as well. Some may have to drop prices on inventory that they bought when the Canadian Dollar was weaker or it'll just warm their shelves while flying off the shelves of the competition.
x2. I've found that the small owner/operator will deal with me, especially if you are a repeat customer.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:29 PM

I didn't pay sticker price on a Savage at P&D in Edmonton
Old 04-28-2010, 11:47 PM

The Manager of WSS Edmonton North gave me a deal on a scope, nothing since.

The Manager of WSS Calgary gave me a deal on a RCBS Reloader.

Co-op Vermilion always has a pencil sharpner handy, bought lots there. My favorite store, but not much stock on hand. Closest store now.

Pud in Bashaw- no deals.

Ken in Stettler- deal everytime.

Sylvestres Bonnyville- will trade anything, but always in his favor, and his ammo prices SUCK.

St Paul gunstore- had a couple deals on rifles. (dont remember name, but ther e is only 1)

Phoenix used to deal, no longer. (I bought 35 handguns from there over the years)

Milarm- same as Phoenix, dont go there any more.

Tofield guns- never got a deal, but haven't bought a lot there either.

I own a Collection Agency, everyone always wants a deal. I tell them I will give them the same deal they give me, 50% reduction in collection rates = 50% off lowest tagged price. I get many hums and haws with that one, but it makes me business most of the time.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-28-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Ken is his name.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-29-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Ken is his name.
How on earth would you remember that?

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:10 PM

Battle River is one of the few left it seems to deal at all on items. I respect the fact that proprietors and their suppliers set their own prices and know their own margins, but as a customer, I like to dicker a bit and feel like I got a good deal . If a store owner/clerk will not dicker a bit or throw in a box of shells, or eat the GST or something they usually lose out on a sale with me.

I generally like to support the smaller stores, but I admit, I shop big box outlets if the price is too good to pass on. I find that the big box stores do not get as many visits from us as the smaller shops do though. Just not usually worth the drive.