Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-04-2009, 07:58 PM

Default 303 Enfield side scope mount

I have a sporter 303 Lee Enfield. I like this rifle a lot. It has a 5 round clip and has been tapped for a scope. However, If I use the scope I cannot use stripper clips to reload. Not a dire emergency but I do have a fondness for the stripper clips quick reload. I was wondering if there is a way to offset the scope to the left side of the receiver to allow for the use of stripper clips and still mount a scope. I have seen pics of sniper rifles from the war that were in this side mount config. Any ideas?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:14 PM

Don't bother scoping your 303, unless your wanting too high of a scope above the comb of the stock. Or prefer to re stock or add a cheek piece to the stock....It just aint worth it cause it makes the rifle worthless

Drop your money on a Steven's 200 with a 3200 elite scope instead.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-05-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Don't bother scoping your 303, unless your wanting too high of a scope above the comb of the stock. Or prefer to re stock or add a cheek piece to the stock....
X2
Just taking a quess here, but if you have a 5 shot mag, it must be one of the highly sporterized versions with the nice monte carlo stock?? If this is the case, then your comb would be higher than the normal military buttstock.

That will help in getting a better line of sight with a scope, but there really isnt much sence in putting alot of money in a cheap gun. It wont up the value on it, cause in reality its still only worth $200 at best if its custom sportered and in mint cond.

I have a few of these No1 Mk3's with synthetic stocks, wooden Parker Hale monte carlo stocks and the regular sporterized military stocks, and they have an action that would challenge the smoothness of any new rifle. It is a shame that some version of a new rifle isnt based off this action in different calibers. They are great to hunt with. Ive often thought of putting a scope on one, but havent bothered cause i like the sights on them.

There are different rails and scope mounts you can get, the best ive seen is a picatinny rail at CT in Red Deer. You could call them and find out what it is and do some research on that style, maybe you would like it. One of these, couples with low mounts and a smaller optic would set your scope lower.
Not sure what the side mount things would look like, IMO I couldnt get use to it.

Nice to see people still hunting with the old trusty guns. Happy hunting!

Last edited by Cooeylover; 11-05-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:03 PM

OK guys thanks for all of that but I think you're missing the main question. Is there a mounting system for an Enfield rifle that will allow the use of stripper clips for quick reload?

Yes it is a VERY sporterized version. It has confused more than a few people when I describe it to them. I am familiar with the usual surplus military Lee Enfields. This rifle has never been military. It has a very nice monte carlo stock. However, the rifle is a Lee Enfield design. I believe it is a No.4. The markings on it do not say Lee Enfield anywhere. Instead the maker seems to be Churchill Gunmakers of London, England. I don't know much about them but they make some very beautiful fowling pieces. I don't know if it makes this rifle any more valuable and I don't really care as this was my dad's rifle and now I own it. I have used it to take 2 deer. The first one with the flip up peep sight at about 150 yds. The second was at 25 yds.

I have a scope for the rifle. It is a bushnell X4 on Parker Hale mounts. I haven't tried the scope yet but I was going to give it a go this season to see if I liked it. However, as I have said. It's a choice of scope or stripper clips but not both. Perhaps it's a moot point. I don't really take long shots anyway.

I'll post some pics of it later. My camera's batteries are dead.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:35 PM

I put one of thiese on an enfiled sporter i was given it worked really well
you could reverse the angle iron for a off set mount but it was very low profile .
http://www.303british.com/id32.html
Old 04-17-2010, 01:07 AM

even the sniper models had to give up the stripper clips with a side mount system, since the scope sits right above the guides.

if it was an SMLE you could go really retro and get or build the mounts that actually put the scope on the left side of the rifle... but that's kinda crazy.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:04 AM

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-AIA/index.shtm

I just bought one of the B2 target's.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooeylover View Post
X2

There are different rails and scope mounts you can get, the best ive seen is a picatinny rail at CT in Red Deer. You could call them and find out what it is and do some research on that style, maybe you would like it. One of these, couples with low mounts and a smaller optic would set your scope lower.
Not sure what the side mount things would look like, IMO I couldnt get use to it.

Nice to see people still hunting with the old trusty guns. Happy hunting!

OK, whats this CT in Red Deer cause I am looking for a better rail on my No1 that is already heavily modded. I know Marsta, Cabelas USA and a few other have some but they are usually sold out.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:39 PM

Don't use stripper clips.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakker262 View Post
OK, whats this CT in Red Deer cause I am looking for a better rail on my No1 that is already heavily modded. I know Marsta, Cabelas USA and a few other have some but they are usually sold out.
CT = Canadian Tire
Old 05-02-2010, 01:35 PM

get a Pachmayer Low -Swing side mount for a Remington 760-742, or any other flat sided rifle. Once mounted you can use the scope or slacken its knurled ring and swing the scope to the side, enabling stripper loading and using your peep sights.

Slacken the ring a couple of turns and you can remove the mount completely.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:15 PM

Find yourself some more 5 or 10 round Magazines.

Bruce. The made me do this.