Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-13-2015, 07:54 AM

Default Driving conditions on Wabamun

Can anybody tell me the driving conditions on the lake? Ice thickness? I'm heading there Saturday and just wanna know if i can drive across the lake? Thank you.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:11 AM

Ice where we were was about 18" thick with about 5-6" snow cover. With a 4x4 you will be fine, just be careful I hear there are ome spots that you shouldn't drive on but at Fallis and the townsite of Wabamun it was ok. Stay away from the train bridge.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:17 AM

I haven't been to Wabunun but I was at Lac Ste Anne yesterday which is not that far from there and I imagine much the same snowise. You could drive with a car in the tracks but if you want to make your own you could get away with an AWD or a 4x4. Snow is about 6-7 inches ice was apprx 24" good conditions. There will be 2 million people out there this Family Day long weekend! Good luck!
Old 02-13-2015, 09:33 AM

That's really good to hear. Their should be no issues at all then if i drive across to the south side from town then. I know all about the train tracks... Seems someone goes through every year. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:22 AM

At Lac La Nonne as I type. 16 inches of ice and maybe 3 or 4 inches of snow. Drove on in 2 wheel drive on the established trail.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:04 PM

Trying to pick between 2 lakes for tomorrow, if anyone made it out to wab today or pigeon just curious how the ice is holding up?
Old 02-13-2015, 03:17 PM

Sksniper said their was 18" of ice. The ice will be just fine in this weather
Old 02-20-2015, 09:39 PM

I was there on Wednesday over by Fallis. Caught lots of very big pike. There was at least 6 or 7 other vehicles. I ran into TAIPAN who's a member of this forum he said. He gave me one of his lures his company makes. It's called the "SmartFish". I was leaving so I never had a chance to test it out but looks like a pretty cool crankbait. Can't wait to see if it works!!
Old 02-20-2015, 09:48 PM

Default Easy going

Was out last weekend easy going follow the path, seen nothing in 18 ft meanwhile all fish that others were caught were in about 10 ft poor kid crying when the fishy pulled it all down the whole, pike would come in for a look and off again did get the biggest white ever in the last 5 years and let it go for you
Old 02-20-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
I was there on Wednesday over by Fallis. Caught lots of very big pike. There was at least 6 or 7 other vehicles. I ran into TAIPAN who's a member of this forum he said. He gave me one of his lures his company makes. It's called the "SmartFish". I was leaving so I never had a chance to test it out but looks like a pretty cool crankbait. Can't wait to see if it works!!
I ordered the smarting lures almost 2 months ago, they have been producing fish for me, the rattle is increadable you can hear it 15ft down under the ice. Even if the fish don't bite the smart fish I find it brings them in to have a look. The thing I would recommend is to remove the back treble and replace it with a single hook. I found this helps a great deal so the back hook does not get wrapped around the line, which can be frustrating. All in all very impressed with the lure and quality, best part I think is that it is Canadian!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 02-20-2015, 10:13 PM

*Smartfish* lol.
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 02-21-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post
I ordered the smarting lures almost 2 months ago, they have been producing fish for me, the rattle is increadable you can hear it 15ft down under the ice. Even if the fish don't bite the smart fish I find it brings them in to have a look. The thing I would recommend is to remove the back treble and replace it with a single hook. I found this helps a great deal so the back hook does not get wrapped around the line, which can be frustrating. All in all very impressed with the lure and quality, best part I think is that it is Canadian!
Ha! Funny you say that about replacing the treble hook, it's exactly what I was thinking too! My reasoning is that it's so much easier on the fish when I'm releasing it, and easier on me when I have to take it out of his mouth! Well I'm glad to hear that they are producing for you! I'm going back tomorrow so I'll give a try! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the lure.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:45 AM

Default Lake access at Fallis

Speaking of going back to Wabamun tomorrow, I wonder how the boat launch at Fallis is doing , when I was there on Wed. it was getting to be quite a drop down to ice level, and with the warm weather last couple of days I imagine it's worse! I have a Ford Escape and I'm thinking I might bottom out! Has anyone been there yesterday or going today?... If so can you report back... I know these questions are a pain in the ??? but need to know if I have to take my quad.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post
The thing I would recommend is to remove the back treble and replace it with a single hook. I found this helps a great deal so the back hook does not get wrapped around the line, which can be frustrating.
If you put some shrink tubing over the split ring that holds the back treble you will just about eliminate the rear treble hooking the line.

You can see a picture here. http://leelures.com/chopper.html
Old 02-22-2015, 11:42 PM

Cool, just got a half dozen of these smart-fish and eager to try them out. Wasn't to sure about their effectiveness on hard water, but I've had good success with lip-less Rattlin Rapala's not only to attract fish but even for bites from bigger fish. I've had times where only smaller fish were biting on the jig or spoon and drop a crank bait and catch much bigger. Mainly on active days.
Not that the single hook or shrink tube aren't excellent ideas which I'll try for sure. I wonder how some minnow heads might help avoid snags?
Old 02-23-2015, 05:47 AM

Have not seen these"smartfish" can someone post a pic or link please??
Old 02-23-2015, 06:50 PM

Here's the link to the Smartfish lures... works pretty good at attracting fish to your hole, and I even caught a nice jack with it!

http://www.kamooki.ca/products.php
Old 02-23-2015, 07:49 PM

Default Wabamun yesterday and today.

I was out there yesterday, me and the other 200+ people and dogs! Went back today and picked up a ton of garbage, cans, string, sandwiches!! Some people are such pigs! Anyway it was very easy getting on the ice not much snow. Still haven't caught a walleye there, I even caught a couple of perch today! But I think the lake is overrun by pike.