Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 win View Post
I didn't mean a magnum as in the wsm's, I was talking about the weatherbys, and ultra mags. The 30-06 is a great cartridge, I've been looking at it a lot, my only problem is, my dad already has 2 and I want something different. I know I could use one of his, but I want one of my own. I've really been looking at the 35 whelen, what do you think of that caliber?
if you want something deadly out to 500 and different from the norm try a lazzeroni. the tomahawk and patriot are about as cool as it gets. start saving your pennies now cuz they aint cheap.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
As far as bullet weights go,I use one bullet weight per gun to do all of my big game hunting.By using only one bullet,I need only use one sight in,and learn one trajectory and wind drift,which I see as an advantage.
+1 for this idea... whatever gun u chose... any bullet 140gr or bigger is gonna be enough for any game up to 500m in north america so pick one bullet that shoots good and learn it... use it... love it... I just bought 1000 140s for my 7rem and plan to shoot it out to 500m off my bipod at any big game and possibly 6 or 700m if i ever get enough practice that i feel compentant with it.

Either way i dunno why guys always pick a ton of diff guns and bullets for each diff animal. I suppose only to justify to their wives why they need to blow so much money on so many guns when really one gun and one bullet can do it all if u practice your shooting abilities.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:10 PM

[QUOTE=crazy_fool1;572185]+1 for this idea... whatever gun u chose... any bullet 140gr or bigger is gonna be enough for any game up to 500m in north america so pick one bullet that shoots good and learn it... use it... love it... I just bought 1000 140s for my 7rem and plan to shoot it out to 500m off my bipod at any big game and possibly 6 or 700m if i ever get enough practice that i feel compentant with it.Either way i dunno why guys always pick a ton of diff guns and bullets for each diff animal. I suppose only to justify to their wives why they need to blow so much money on so many guns when really one gun and one bullet can do it all if u practice your shooting abilities.[/QUOTE

If you "ethically" want to shoot game at those distances ,practice is good. So is using a 160gr -175gr 7mm bullet . It typically has better BC,SD than a 140 gr, will fly flatter farther and hit harder. And whats wrong with owning more than one gun if you have the means too???All the power to you if you choose to own only one ,but keep your assumptions to your self
Old 04-25-2010, 05:23 PM

so ur saying that extra 20gr of bullet is going to make a difference going through hair and skin and lungs??? not buying it man. yes using a bigger bullet is always better if you cant shoot very well or judge distance and wind very well...I mean if your always a shoulder shooter by all means use a 50BMG but im saying the minimum which is plenty effective is 140gr. Still has over 1500 foot pounds of energy when it hits at 500. Nothing non ethical about it when ppl are using .243 bullets at moose and elk.

It comes down to your shootin ability. if you practice and are confident in your aim and dont take foolhardy shots I stand behind my 140gr is a great bullet opinion. You are welcome to your own.

As far as facts I must correct you in the fact that a 160-175 gr bullet will not fly as flat as a 140gr... Its simple ballistics. A better BC does improve its chances of wind deflection but does not give the bullet wings to fly higher. Sorry. You will never convince me that a faster shooting lighter bullet will drop faster than a slow fat one.

I will keep my assumptions to myself if you promise to keep your "facts" to yourself.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
I shot both my whitetail last fall with my 300 wby,The alberta buck was stretched out @ 250 yards& the sask buck was broadside @ 450 when I hit him the first shot,the second shot hit him when he was running.Flinching HAAA,listen to elkhunter11,you dont know what your talking about.
Actually, i do agree with elkhunter11. But 270win is a younger guy no? He owns a 270win. Are you telling me a hunter NEEDS a 300 bee to kill deer and elk out to 500 yards. If so you don't know what your talking about. 270win have you shot any bigger rifles? If you have and recoil don't bother you than the 7mm rem mag would be good for all ungulates in north america. Theres lot of cals out there. But you need to make good hits at 500 yards on the range in many different weather and shooting conditions before you can use the extra " punch " to it's potential. I can kill a mule deer just as dead with my 30.06, as whitetail junkie can with his 300 wby out to 500 yards. And i wouldn't need to B.S about how far it was, or it was running on the second shot crap. Whitetail junkie go be your only fan somewhere else.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_fool1 View Post
so ur saying that extra 20gr of bullet is going to make a difference going through hair and skin and lungs??? not buying it man. yes using a bigger bullet is always better if you cant shoot very well or judge distance and wind very well...I mean if your always a shoulder shooter by all means use a 50BMG but im saying the minimum which is plenty effective is 140gr. Still has over 1500 foot pounds of energy when it hits at 500. Nothing non ethical about it when ppl are using .243 bullets at moose and elk.

It comes down to your shootin ability. if you practice and are confident in your aim and dont take foolhardy shots I stand behind my 140gr is a great bullet opinion. You are welcome to your own.

As far as facts I must correct you in the fact that a 160-175 gr bullet will not fly as flat as a 140gr... Its simple ballistics. A better BC does improve its chances of wind deflection but does not give the bullet wings to fly higher. Sorry. You will never convince me that a faster shooting lighter bullet will drop faster than a slow fat one.

I will keep my assumptions to myself if you promise to keep your "facts" to yourself.
X2 Mags and high B.C's are not needed for hunting deer and elk out to 500 yards. What is needed is the ability to hit your target precisely and constantly in feild weather and shooting conditions. Mag's and high B.C bullets come into there own after 500 yards. JMO.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
Actually, i do agree with elkhunter11. But 270win is a younger guy no? He owns a 270win. Are you telling me a hunter NEEDS a 300 bee to kill deer and elk out to 500 yards. If so you don't know what your talking about. 270win have you shot any bigger rifles? If you have and recoil don't bother you than the 7mm rem mag would be good for all ungulates in north america. Theres lot of cals out there. But you need to make good hits at 500 yards on the range in many different weather and shooting conditions before you can use the extra " punch " to it's potential. I can kill a mule deer just as dead with my 30.06, as whitetail junkie can with his 300 wby out to 500 yards. And i wouldn't need to B.S about how far it was, or it was running on the second shot crap. Whitetail junkie go be your only fan somewhere else.
Yes I am only 14, and I shoot my dads 30-06 with hotter 165 grain hand loads all day long accurately. He also has a 7mm remington that I should try one of these days to see what it's like. I think the 7mm is as big as I would go right now.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
so your bragging that you shoot 450 yards without knowing that you were 450 yards intill after you shot no f*&^ing wonder your shooting deer while they are running. do you even know what the holdover for your gun is at 450 yards
Old 04-25-2010, 06:59 PM

sorry jay quoted the wrong part of that my appoligies that is directed at the all star hunter that kills better deer than us all
Old 04-25-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Yes I am only 14, and I shoot my dads 30-06 with hotter 165 grain hand loads all day long accurately. He also has a 7mm remington that I should try one of these days to see what it's like. I think the 7mm is as big as I would go right now.
Well big guy, 165g hot handloads will knock em down all day long out to 500yards in the right hands. But so will a 300wby. It's all up to what you want? The only thing i was trying to tell you is a 270, 30.06 ect will do the job well if the guy shooting it can shoot it well at 500 yards. An arrow will kill an elk at 300 fps. Your 270 win will kill them to 500 yards if you hit them right. Bigger rifles don't kill any better or quicker, but they would let you hunt even farther than 500 yards if you where skill enough.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
If you "ethically" want to shoot game at those distances ,practice is good. So is using a 160gr -175gr 7mm bullet . It typically has better BC,SD than a 140 gr, will fly flatter farther and hit harder.
I have killed several elk,a few moose,mountain goat,bighorn,pronghorn,and dozens of deer with 140gr bullets out of various 7mm cartridges.I see no need for heavier bullets on any of those animals,especially if you use a premium bullet like the Partition,Accubond or the TSX,TTSX,or MRX.And at 500 yards or less,the higher BCs of the heavier bullets offer no significant advantage.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:14 PM

I've already shot a big 6x6 bull elk with my 270 at about 85 yards and it dropped with one shot, so I know it can do the job for sure. I'm going to reload my 270 with berger 150 grain vlds, and that should increase the performance a little bit at longer ranges, we'll have to wait and see how they shoot.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I've already shot a big 6x6 bull elk with my 270 at about 85 yards and it dropped with one shot, so I know it can do the job for sure.

There is a huge difference between 85 yards,and 500 yards,the energy drops off greatly in that extra 415 yards.However the biggest difference,is that most people can't accurately place their bullets at 500 yards.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Gone Hunting

if you are 16 years old, I would suggest any of the myriad of mid-calibers. Pick a gun YOU like in the CALIBER you like, load for it, find it's pet load and enjoy!!!...don't take too much heed from the long range heroes here that " consistentlly" kill animals on the run at 450 yards, not only being unethical, in my mind, it's usually BS...funny how the distance extends between the field and the bar!! don't worry too much about shooting at 500+. as you stated, a good hunter can get way closer than that...Good Luck, and let us know what u decide on...BTW for the last 35 yrs. I have used a 7mm Rem. Mag. with 160 gr. Nosler Partitions....can't tell u any stories about 500 Yard running shots though!!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:29 PM

I realize that, this is why I would like a larger rifle. I know that the 270 will do it, but elk can soak up a lot of lead and go a long way on one lung if you don't hit it right. With my 270 at 300 yards I can shoot 1.5 inch groups consistently so if I slowly start stretching the range out a bit I should become consistent at 500.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I realize that, this is why I would like a larger rifle. I know that the 270 will do it, but elk can soak up a lot of lead and go a long way on one lung if you don't hit it right. With my 270 at 300 yards I can shoot 1.5 inch groups consistently so if I slowly start stretching the range out a bit I should become consistent at 500.
you dont need to tell fibs bub i dont own any guns that shoot 1.5 inch groups at 300 yards. no one will make fun of you for telling the truth at 300 yards im happy to say i can hit 4L milk jugs or keep them all on a paper plate.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET1 View Post
you dont need to tell fibs bub i dont own any guns that shoot 1.5 inch groups at 300 yards. no one will make fun of you for telling the truth at 300 yards im happy to say i can hit 4L milk jugs or keep them all on a paper plate.
Believe what you want, I know what i know. I also know of a lot of guns that will shoot .5 MOA at 300.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Believe what you want, I know what i know. I also know of a lot of guns that will shoot .5 MOA at 300.
well, I'm thinkin' ..that's the end of this thread!!...Good Luck Guy!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Some rifles will consistently shoot .5moa at 300 yards ,and a very,very limited number of them are even hunting rifles shooting hunting bullets.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:04 PM

I got lucky with my rifle that it shoots this well, its a marlin xl7, nothing fancy, it just shoots very well.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I got lucky with my rifle that it shoots this well, its a marlin xl7, nothing fancy, it just shoots very well.
So just how many 1-1/2" groups have you fired at 300 yards with your Marlin?One?Five?Ten?More?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:25 PM

Every time me and my dad go shooting we start at 100 to make sure the rifles are still on, then we go to 200, and eventually to 300. We usually go shooting once or twice every 2 weeks to stay sharp. So I would say more than 10 for sure, some of the groups have been bigger due to wind, but thats what I need to practice in for this part of the country. Plus in the summer when we go camping at the farm I usually go shooting everyday.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have killed several elk,a few moose,mountain goat,bighorn,pronghorn,and dozens of deer with 140gr bullets out of various 7mm cartridges.I see no need for heavier bullets on any of those animals,especially if you use a premium bullet like the Partition,Accubond or the TSX,TTSX,or MRX.And at 500 yards or less,the higher BCs of the heavier bullets offer no significant advantage.
I believe there is a significant advantage, it's called penetration. Take an equivalently constructed 7mm bullet in 140gr vs 160 gr. The drop at 500yds is about 4-5" ,not a big deal for guys who know their firearm , but the difference lies in the extra 150+ ft. lbs. that you are delivering plus the higher S/D guarantees better penetration. If you fellas want to shoot beyond 400 yds my opinion is that you should use enough gun with the right bullet to get the job done on heavy shoulder bones. However you'll keep shooting what you want and so will I.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
What would you guys consider to be the perfect elk and deer rifle for shooting out to say, 500 yards?
Considering the worse case scenario, being a massive bull elk on the edge of heavy timber, 500 yards off and quartering towards, my choice would be and is the venerable and all-mighty .338WM. And it will do the job on a 100 yard deer just as well.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I believe there is a significant advantage, it's called penetration.
Quote:
the higher S/D guarantees better penetration.
When using cup and core bullets,S/D can be a factor in penetration,but when using bullets such as the TTSX or TSX,S/D doesn't mean much at all.The 140gr bullets that I used in my 7mmstws usually exited on elk and moose,so no greater penetration is possible.
As for longer distance shooting,the lower velocity usually means less expansion,which results in greater penetration than at closer ranges.

So just how many 140gr -7mm TTSX,TSX,or MRX bullets have you used on elk or moose in order to determine that they lack penetration compared to 160gr bullets?I have used a fair number myself,as have my hunting partners.One hunting partner that always used 175gr bullets recently switched to premium 140gr bullets after seeing for himself that he wouldn't be sacrificing penetration on game.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-25-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
I paced it off from where I was sitting when I shot the buck to where the blood was in the snow!! Why are you such a critic?? espicially when I talk about shooting animals that I have Taken.

Charles i've only hunted 12 big game seasons and have shot bigger bucks than you.you should'nt be allowed to use the word impressive,you are quite the piece of work!!!
Exactly 450 yds. What are the chances?

And just how old do you think I am?

-Billy Molls
Old 04-25-2010, 09:30 PM

It's way more fun to say there isn't a good combination Deer/Elk gun and give yourself a reason to buy a couple more guns. Usually where I hunt Elk I come accross Grizzly signs and just feel a little more comfortable with a heavier calibre.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

chuck, he's an "Avatar" of his daddy.....read posts 14 and 15, hilarious to say the least.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

I dont know how old yaa are but your alot older me.Post the pics of the Big bucks you have shot.you talk down to me about my long shot last fall,so lets see your big bucks charles,quite yaaping and start posting.Your a great white hunter and an Self proclaimed Ace rifleman,so lets see it Top Gun!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
chuck, he's an "Avatar" of his daddy.....read posts 14 and 15, hilarious to say the least.
Are you on Drugs???? My Father is'nt on here what you talking about?