Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-25-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
I dont know how old yaa are but your alot older me.Post the pics of the Big bucks you have shot.you talk down to me about my long shot last fall,so lets see your big bucks charles,quite yaaping and start posting.
Well here is a hint. In six years maybe you could try and amass the volume of game I have killed, and maybe you can try and kill bigger Elk, Sheep, Bear, Mule Deer and Antelope than I have. Good luck, and I am not lacking in the posted pictures department either.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
Actually, i do agree with elkhunter11. But 270win is a younger guy no? He owns a 270win. Are you telling me a hunter NEEDS a 300 bee to kill deer and elk out to 500 yards. If so you don't know what your talking about. 270win have you shot any bigger rifles? If you have and recoil don't bother you than the 7mm rem mag would be good for all ungulates in north america. Theres lot of cals out there. But you need to make good hits at 500 yards on the range in many different weather and shooting conditions before you can use the extra " punch " to it's potential. I can kill a mule deer just as dead with my 30.06, as whitetail junkie can with his 300 wby out to 500 yards. And i wouldn't need to B.S about how far it was, or it was running on the second shot crap. Whitetail junkie go be your only fan somewhere else.
I never said a 270 could'nt kill an elk,buddy asked a question and I gave him my opinion.Maybe you just cant handle a 300wby,so thats why yaa dont like it!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Well here is a hint. In six years maybe you could try and amass the volume of game I have killed, and maybe you can try and kill bigger Elk, Sheep, Bear, Mule Deer and Antelope than I have. Good luck, and I am not lacking in the posted pictures department either.
Its not quinity its the quility that counts,Top Gun!!! Maybe you should take a time out from here and go and reload for your winchester Junk!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:12 PM

**** and bush come to mind right about now
Old 04-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=hal53;572322] don't worry too much about shooting at 500+. as you stated, a good hunter can get way closer than that...

sometimes hal thats just not true. of course most guys prefer to get as close as possible to reduce the risk of a miss...or worse...a poor hit, but sometimes it just isnt gonna happen. what i consider my best trophy animal was shot at over 400 yards. i saw him bird-dogging down in the river valley and ran as hard as i could trying to catch up. thankfully i was in good shape then. i ran for about 2 miles to crest a hill and see him looking back at me at a ranged 418 yards. there was no way i was getting closer and again thankfully i had shot a lot over the summer simulating hunting conditions. i made a perfect heart shot on him while lying prone. he spun in a circle and looked at me. i didnt know at the time the shot was good, so i gave him another that hit 3 inches from the first. he took 3 steps and plowed his nose into the snow.

i think thats the kind of thing that 270win is looking for here. i doubt he wants to shoot anything or everything at 500 yards, but wants to have the confidence to do it if thats the opportunity he gets. you cant control much when you are hunting. weather, animal movement, and other hunters actions are some of the things we cant control, but shooting ability is one we can.

270win, if i can let me give you a tip that has helped me kill some animals over the years. dont shoot so much off the bench. thats good for sighting in, but there are no benches when you are hunting. practice freehand shooting and from sitting and prone positions. if you have a place to do it safely, rolling old tires still on rims down hills is good practice for running shots. good luck to you.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:47 PM

Default Not cheap is the understatement of the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
if you want something deadly out to 500 and different from the norm try a lazzeroni. the tomahawk and patriot are about as cool as it gets. start saving your pennies now cuz they aint cheap.
But I do like your style! If I could choose any rifle in the world, and a lifetime supply of ammo and barrels, it would be a Lazzeroni Warbird. Starting in the Six Grand US price range.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dettah Wolf View Post
But I do like your style! If I could choose any rifle in the world, and a lifetime supply of ammo and barrels, it would be a Lazzeroni Warbird. Starting in the Six Grand US price range.
I Heard that 20 Rounds of unfired brass is $100.00 for the lazzeroni's.I know that sako chambered a TRG rifle or (something like that) in the warbird.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I believe there is a significant advantage, it's called penetration. Take an equivalently constructed 7mm bullet in 140gr vs 160 gr. The drop at 500yds is about 4-5" ,not a big deal for guys who know their firearm , but the difference lies in the extra 150+ ft. lbs. that you are delivering plus the higher S/D guarantees better penetration. If you fellas want to shoot beyond 400 yds my opinion is that you should use enough gun with the right bullet to get the job done on heavy shoulder bones. However you'll keep shooting what you want and so will I.
You just admitted my point exactly leo... some of us shoot for the ribs and a 100gr 243 bullet will be enough if hit in the right spot every time.

Some of you aim for the shoulder or hit the shoulder regularly and need a bigger heavier bullet to make it througgh allt he extra bone and debris to the vitals... maybe a barnes would do you well as well.. Its all in personal choice for shot placement... and how much meat ur comfortable wasting. Nothing against you or others if they were taught to shoot out shoulders. I have heard of guides who insist on shoulder shots but I was taught differently and the small rapid expansive bullets will do me fine. Happy shootin and as long as it puts meat in the pot who cares.

My 7mm Rem Savage 111FXCP Shoots 1 inch groups at 200m with the berger 140 gr hunting VLDs all day long and drives through half inch steel plates all day even at 45 degree angles so im not worried about a little skin and bone.
All the experienced hunters(40 - 60 yrs of hunting each) in my elk hunting party have all switched down to 140's from their 168's and 175's now too seeing that they have no issues. I think this is because as time has moved on, improved optics and range finders have made accuracy alot easier than ever and the realization that a well placed shot doesnt need as much lead behind it as a poorly placed shot.

As for the situation someone quoted about the trophy elk quartering towards and needing to blow out a shoulder? I dont have a doubt the 140 would do it but id probably go for the neck shot on personal choice. even with a 338 in my hands.

Last edited by Rantastic; 04-25-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: added
Old 04-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dettah Wolf View Post
it was about 7 years ago i kinda thought i wanted a tomahawk. when i saw the price of the true lazzeroni gun i turned tail rather quick.. then i heard sako made a gun for that cartridge that at the time i could get for 1400. dont know about todays prices. anyway, i was all ready to order it.....but then, yes tyler...ammo is unreal. at the time it was 130 us for a box of 20 loaded. and the only place to get it was from lazzeroni himself. so figure you need at minimum 100 to start and then you can reload right? rcbs makes the dies....but again, you could (then at least) only buy them from lazzeroni....at a cost of a measly 350 us. when i pictured myself worried about finding that precious brass in the snow rather than watching my prey i figured screw it....just buy a gun that i can afford to shoot. but if that lotto max ticket ever hits.......
Old 04-25-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Its not quinity its the quility that counts,Top Gun!!! Maybe you should take a time out from here and go and reload for your winchester Junk!
Your being pretty selective in your arguments.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
I Heard that 20 Rounds of unfired brass is $100.00 for the lazzeroni's.I know that sako chambered a TRG rifle or (something like that) in the warbird.
if i remember right there were 4 offerings....warbird, firebird, tomahawk and patriot. as for 20 unfired for 100 bucks....with inflation, that wouldnt surprise me.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
if i remember right there were 4 offerings....warbird, firebird, tomahawk and patriot. as for 20 unfired for 100 bucks....with inflation, that wouldnt surprise me.
I Remember the Firbird & warbird in the sako TRG (or whatever it's called,it was an all black firearm.I guess another option would be to get a custom rifle built chambered in a lazzeroni cartridge,you can go that route I imagine.

However I was also thinking 7mm STW,rumour is that weatherby is going to build some rifles next year chambered in the 7mm STW so I might hold out for that?
Old 04-26-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
However I was also thinking 7mm STW,rumour is that weatherby is going to build some rifles next year chambered in the 7mm STW so I might hold out for that?
Weatherby previously chambered rifles in 7mmstw.There are a few for sale in the USA.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Weatherby previously chambered rifles in 7mmstw.There are a few for sale in the USA.
Yaa I was looking at one today on guns America,it even had Fancy wood,My favorite however if I even hold out longer I can garantee you that within the next 5 years cooper will start makeing rifles chambered in Magnum cartridges.maybe they will even chamber the STW???

Cooper came out with there 243win in a repeater only two months after I bought my 240wby mag.I probabley would have went for the cooper,cause the rifle is not only for hunting,but to compete with in the shooting tournamnets in Lethbridge.A good shooter with a cooper rifle in a 243win would walk away with the gold in the hunting rifle's only touranment in lethbridge this september!
Old 04-26-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
however if I even hold out longer I can garantee you that within the next 5 years cooper will start makeing rifles chambered in Magnum cartridges.
It will be much sooner than five years.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
It will be much sooner than five years.
Your probabley Right!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Actually, i do agree with elkhunter11. But 270win is a younger guy no? He owns a 270win. Are you telling me a hunter NEEDS a 300 bee to kill deer and elk out to 500 yards. If so you don't know what your talking about. 270win have you shot any bigger rifles? If you have and recoil don't bother you than the 7mm rem mag would be good for all ungulates in north america. Theres lot of cals out there. But you need to make good hits at 500 yards on the range in many different weather and shooting conditions before you can use the extra " punch " to it's potential. I can kill a mule deer just as dead with my 30.06, as whitetail junkie can with his 300 wby out to 500 yards. And i wouldn't need to B.S about how far it was, or it was running on the second shot crap. Whitetail junkie go be your only fan somewhere else.
It sounds to me that your a little jealous of Whitetail Junkie. Just because you can't afford an expensive magnum firearm and obsorb its recoil is not a reason to belittle someone. He was only answering a question and not attacking the person. Why can't you do the same?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_fool1 View Post
You just admitted my point exactly leo... some of us shoot for the ribs and a 100gr 243 bullet will be enough if hit in the right spot every time.

Some of you aim for the shoulder or hit the shoulder regularly and need a bigger heavier bullet to make it througgh allt he extra bone and debris to the vitals... maybe a barnes would do you well as well.. Its all in personal choice for shot placement... and how much meat ur comfortable wasting. Nothing against you or others if they were taught to shoot out shoulders. I have heard of guides who insist on shoulder shots but I was taught differently and the small rapid expansive bullets will do me fine. Happy shootin and as long as it puts meat in the pot who cares.

My 7mm Rem Savage 111FXCP Shoots 1 inch groups at 200m with the berger 140 gr hunting VLDs all day long and drives through half inch steel plates all day even at 45 degree angles so im not worried about a little skin and bone.
All the experienced hunters(40 - 60 yrs of hunting each) in my elk hunting party have all switched down to 140's from their 168's and 175's now too seeing that they have no issues. I think this is because as time has moved on, improved optics and range finders have made accuracy alot easier than ever and the realization that a well placed shot doesnt need as much lead behind it as a poorly placed shot.

As for the situation someone quoted about the trophy elk quartering towards and needing to blow out a shoulder? I dont have a doubt the 140 would do it but id probably go for the neck shot on personal choice. even with a 338 in my hands.
Having the confidence that you have in your abilities and your equipment is commendable. My point is gentlemen , that when you start to stretch ranges over 400 yds. the difference between a clean lung shot vs a shoulder shot vs a gut shot animal is 1 heart beat, 1 breath , 1 gust of wind,and lets not forget about adrenaline. I'm certain that you are all fine shots , and while i personally don't believe in shooting game at those ranges , I respect your right too. If I was shooting at moose or elk at those ranges i would opt for a 160gr.barnes or berger. the extra penetration most certainly isn't overkill. I don't usually hold on an animals shoulder unless it is in a nasty spot and I want to anchor it. But I have been a successful hunter, good shot for over 30 years and unfortunately made a couple bad shots, all the good intentions and practise won't make you perfect either. We,ve both had our say, good luck to you
Old 04-26-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
If I was shooting at moose or elk at those ranges i would opt for a 160gr.barnes or berger. the extra penetration most certainly isn't overkill.
While Barnes is well known for producing maximum penetration,Berger certainly is not.I would choose a 140gr Barnes over a 160gr Berger if maximum penetration was my objective.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
While Barnes is well known for producing maximum penetration,Berger certainly is not.I would choose a 140gr Barnes over a 160gr Berger if maximum penetration was my objective.
Good to know! Since I don't shoot that far at game I don't use either, I shoot Nosler accubonds, Partitions and Hornady Interbonds . Like I stated earlier, use what works for you and good luck
Old 04-26-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I never said a 270 could'nt kill an elk,buddy asked a question and I gave him my opinion.Maybe you just cant handle a 300wby,so thats why yaa dont like it!!!
Wow! you need a big brother. I've shot 300 wby, 300 ultra mag, 375 h&h ect ect and they where all fun to shoot. The 300 wby is a fine cartridge. Just not my cup of tea. For my out to 500 yards for deer, moose and elk my 30.06 is more than adequate. I know i shouldn't let a small minded daddy's boy like you get me going with your smart azz replies and such. But i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that some day your mouth will make a fool of your face. And you probably wont even know why it happened. Have a good one whitetail junkie.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post
It sounds to me that your a little jealous of Whitetail Junkie. Just because you can't afford an expensive magnum firearm and obsorb its recoil is not a reason to belittle someone. He was only answering a question and not attacking the person. Why can't you do the same?
Yup, I can't afford one. lmfao. And i'm scared of recoil. lol. I did answer the question. I did not attack anyone. I stated my opinion that a 300wby is not required to hunt deer and elk to 500 yards. Your both my hero's.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Wow! you need a big brother. I've shot 300 wby, 300 ultra mag, 375 h&h ect ect and they where all fun to shoot. The 300 wby is a fine cartridge. Just not my cup of tea. For my out to 500 yards for deer, moose and elk my 30.06 is more than adequate. I know i shouldn't let a small minded daddy's boy like you get me going with your smart azz replies and such. But i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that some day your mouth will make a fool of your face. And you probably wont even know why it happened. Have a good one whitetail junkie.
I've Got Two older twin Brother's.& like My Father ,(who is my #1 Guide and best Friend) they will always be there for me.

You know what I think Jaybull,your Just another Guy on here who Talk's the Talk,but does'nt walk the walk???? Please Prove me wrong!!!Either way, glad to know that my small mind gets you going
Old 04-27-2010, 10:11 AM

Ok, all arguments are in. We will now vote to see who has the biggest cojones..... What? you mean this thread was about calibre recommendations? Nevermind....
Old 04-27-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I've Got Two older twin Brother's.& like My Father ,(who is my #1 Guide and best Friend) they will always be there for me.

You know what I think Jaybull,your Just another Guy on here who Talk's the Talk,but does'nt walk the walk???? Please Prove me wrong!!!Either way, glad to know that my small mind gets you going
I live in g.p. next time your around p.m. me. We will see who the real deal is. Shooting rifles, i got a place we can shoot 700 yards undisturbed all day. If your talking about something else, It wouldn't be fair. I've been boxing since i was 14. I'm 33 now. But i know you wont p.m. me cuz your full of crap. PROVE ME WRONG! And i'm done hyjacking 270win thread. Sorry 270win.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
And i'm done hyjacking 270win thread. Sorry 270win.
No worrys, I've pretty much gotten what I need from this thread.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:26 PM

lol isnt it sad that 75% of all theads end up just like this? Its not just this forum either... I have belonged to 15 different forums from motorcycels to gunnuts to atvs to custom cars and they are all the same.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_fool1 View Post
lol isnt it sad that 75% of all theads end up just like this? Its not just this forum either... I have belonged to 15 different forums from motorcycels to gunnuts to atvs to custom cars and they are all the same.

It's because everyone has their own opinion and when they share it, someone else comes along and sates theres, there is no problem with that, it is when people start to disagree and fight over who's opinion is "better". just my 2 cents on that.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:58 PM

thats right... the S hi tting on other peoples opinion is crap unless its of the illegal persuation.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I live in g.p. next time your around p.m. me. We will see who the real deal is. Shooting rifles, i got a place we can shoot 700 yards undisturbed all day. If your talking about something else, It wouldn't be fair. I've been boxing since i was 14. I'm 33 now. But i know you wont p.m. me cuz your full of crap. PROVE ME WRONG! And i'm done hyjacking 270win thread. Sorry 270win.
I might have to Take you up on that offer,One of the Twins just moved to GP two years ago.You might have seen him around Town,he works in the oil patch,long blond hair,A nose that points in three different directions

I can come up there and you could teach me some boxing moves and i'll teach you how to Hunt!!! Sound like a Deal?