Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-29-2010, 09:32 PM

Default reloading for autos

How may guys here reload for thier semi-autos and is it worth the time and effort. I am thinking about reloading for a 280 i bought about 12 years ago and i am finally getting time to start using this one. I have only reloaded for bolts with above average OAL and no crimp. (yes i know they need the crimp and have to stick to max OAL for autos and levers) Not an overly seriuos reloader but I love to find a round that my rifles like so....... I am just throwing this out their before I pick up one of my manuals.

thanks in advance
Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 PM

i know you need a small base resizing die to resize the brass a little smaller than a normal die. that all i know.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:10 PM

cool-i did not know that! maybee i will do some reading over the weekend after a few long walks out at the lake
Old 04-29-2010, 10:55 PM

Definately more work. Small Base sizing die is strongly suggested. The lube procedure is quite a bit more work or you will be eating decapping rods and spending way too much time threading brass.

I would be very surprised if you could find a small base sizing die for a 280 less then 4 months away unless you chartered a custom die build.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:22 AM

I have loaded for both Remington and Browning semi autos using the factory full length dies only with no problems, but I have been told by some this is not possible.
As far as more lube work, unless I am using a collet die I always lube my necks anyway.
Run five cases at a time under your hand on the lube pad, then with a patch with lube on it wrapped on a brush and handle, simply run it into each neck after you roll the cases on the pad.
Afterwards before you charge the cases use another dry patch to clean the case mouth out.

When loading for a semi I always use bullets that have a cannelure and put a slight crimp on them -I don't concern myself with trying to get the bullet closer to the lands.
Cat
Old 04-30-2010, 09:16 AM

i have loaded several hundred rounds for my rem 7400 in a 280 with factory hornady full length dies and did not crimp, and never had a problem.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Banned

crimping is fast easy and cheap. i crimp all my rounds.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:37 AM

I got a few friends who reload 30.06 for semi autos and they just use a Full Length die.. Haven't had any problems with it when we've shot them.. and he does alot of shooting so it wouldn't be worth his time if it didn't work..
Old 04-30-2010, 09:47 AM

I have loaded for several semi auto rifles,and crimping is not at all necessary.I also didn't find it necessary to use small base dies.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:23 PM

I reloaded for a BAR years ago.Fired cartridges chambered fine and I neck sized withan RCBS die set to just touch the shoulder gently. Cartridges chambered and functioned flawlessly.

Lessons remembered. I polished loaded cartridges and kept the rifle CLEAN. I used a very clean burning powder, sorry memory fails me as to brand. I trimmed cases each load and crimped firmly. Autos can really slam loaded rounds around. I used published load data and started at the mins and worked up halfway to max looking for the best groups.

I've always read that levers and autos need special sizing. I've owned a number and always neck sized with full length sizing dies set to just touch the shoulder as many did years ago. A smoked case usually shows the die squeezes the neck and about half of the main case body.