Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Banned

Default 7 weatherby brass to 257?

Hi back to the 257 weatherby.. AS I was looking for brass I came across some federal nickel 7 weatherby brass , man they were giving it away I bought 300 new brass... or should I say nickel for 50 bucks...Ok hears the Q can I just lube it well run it into a 257 die and then just cut it or will it thicken the walls , because I have a tight chamber. Your thoughts I would hate to do it to the brass and find out it wont chamber and it was a waist of time and brass. MMMMMMM I do have a 7mm rem with a 28 inch Mcgown barrel should I convert it to a weatherby... or thats a waist of time . a duel Question your thoughts . And I will put this out one more time does anyone know where I can get a set trigger for a brno 602? thanks for your time.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:58 AM

When I necked 7mmwby brass down to 257wby,the necks were too thick,so I had to ream them.However,I was not using Federal nickel brass,so your results will differ.However,because your cases are nickel coated,the nickel may very well crack or chip when you neck it down.I personally,would not use nickel brass in this application.

As for converting the 7mmremmag to 7mmwby,I wouldn't bother,the difference in performance isn't worth the effort.If I was to convert the rifle,it would be to 7mmstw,as with the 28" barrel,it will give you a larger gain over the 7mmremag.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:39 PM

I have used 270 and 7mm Wtby necked to 257 without a problem..but again,...they weren't nickel plated either....

re: the 28" 7mm Rem Mag...why convert it to anything?...try starting at 67grs of Rel22 with a 140 and work up...I have a 24" 7 Mag that averages close to 3300 with 69grs and a friend has had his 24" Gaillard 7mm Rem Mag hit 3400 with 70grs of Rel22...in a 28" barrel you'd be really smokin'....
Old 05-01-2010, 10:04 AM

Although not a super common brass to come across. The .264 Win Mag is the best brass to convert IMO that is what I have been using.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:07 AM

Thats a smokin deal on the 7wby brass. I find its easier to buy right the first time, but it can be done. If you need to unload some of that brass... My wifes 7wby is always needing brass.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember