Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-30-2010, 01:04 PM

Default Recycling Mil Surp Ammo

With the terrible mess at the Genesse Range with the mil surp ammo, the question arose if it can be recycled?

Anyone?

Did a search but could not find any info.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:10 PM

there was enough sks ammo out there last week when I went a guy could take it right to general scrap by the pound lol. I picked up probably 100+ rounds from the long range side just around the bench I was using. Did I mention I dont even own one lol
Old 04-30-2010, 02:48 PM

Most metals can and do get recycled, Last time I Looked Copper was at $1.40/lb. Might take a while to gather 100lbs of Brass though. As for reloading it, I don't think I would, or would do so very carefully, Military Brass is a softer alloy than standard Brass. If they had corrosive primers and were fired they are Scrap.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
Most metals can and do get recycled, Last time I Looked Copper was at $1.40/lb. Might take a while to gather 100lbs of Brass though. As for reloading it, I don't think I would, or would do so very carefully, Military Brass is a softer alloy than standard Brass. If they had corrosive primers and were fired they are Scrap.
Why would military brass be softer seeing as how they usually run higher pressures than standard brass? Plus even with corrosive primers if you properly cleaned it wouldn't it still work??
Old 04-30-2010, 03:54 PM

Unfortunatly, most of that **** is steel cased and Berdan primed, not easy to reload, nor worth much, as scrap.
Grizz
Old 04-30-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Unfortunatly, most of that **** is steel cased and Berdan primed, not easy to reload, nor worth much, as scrap.
Grizz
Ahh I just say the SKS part.. my bad..I didn't realize he was talkin bout 7.62x39....
Old 05-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Why would military brass be softer seeing as how they usually run higher pressures than standard brass? Plus even with corrosive primers if you properly cleaned it wouldn't it still work??
I've reloaded IVI, IMI and Lake city 5.56mm and 7.62mm brass with no problems at all. They are all Boxer primed so they load like any other case. The case walls tend to be thicker, so reduce your powder by at least 10%
Primers are crimped in and you'll have to take your neck chamfering tool and chamfer out the ridge on the primer pocket. I've found the brass to be a bit harder than civvy brass.