Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 07:06 PM

Default I'm.thinking about buying a quality pack

I'm looking at the kuiu and the exo mountain. Any feedback or other suggestions would be appreciated. Probably going to go with around the 3500 size.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2019, 07:11 PM

Just recently bought the exo mountain 2000, I got two hip pockets and the lid as well. They are expensive but the quality is exceptional and I can’t see needing anymore room for a day pack with the lid and pockets. I haven’t used it a bunch but it is very comfortable and it’s all very well thought out.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 PM

I'm torn between the 2000 and the 3500. Very similar in size when compressed. The 3500 is only 6 inches longer.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:33 PM

The way I looked at it is that I can buy the 2000 and if I ever need something for multiple nights I can buy just the 5500 bag and put it on the frame. Where the 3500 isn’t really ment to be a day pack and isn’t really meant to be an extended period of time pack even though it will work for both. Just my view on it though.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:39 PM

I would suggest you look at exo, stone glacier and kifaru. I wouldn’t bother with mystery ranch (if your talking about the NICE frame) or kuiu. The best option is find a few guys who have packs your interested in and try some on. If your around red deer I’ve got a kifaru you can check out.

When it comes time to buy watch rokslide or the kifaru forums classifieds and wait for the right deal.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:03 PM
Banned

I went with the kuiu 3200 for my usual day pack mule deer and elk got a smoking deal full set up pack and frame and harness 420$
Old 01-16-2019, 09:04 PM

Default Packs

I agree the KUIU might be light but if you shoot a sheep the frame is too light weight to carry it out. Go with KIFARU or Arcteryx they make good packs for sheep hunting and carrying big loads
Old 02-27-2019, 10:19 AM

Default 6" is 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw17 View Post
I'm torn between the 2000 and the 3500. Very similar in size when compressed. The 3500 is only 6 inches longer.

Weight is nothing for another 6". That gives you more room if you want but you dont have to use it.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John9750 View Post
Weight is nothing for another 6". That gives you more room if you want but you dont have to use it.
You're bang on John. There is very little difference in costs on the bags, your cost for the frame is the kicker. The Stone Glacier bags really cinch up well so even if you just take it out for a day, you shouldn't need to remove much at all to save weight. They carry themselves quite well. Take the basics and cinch it up. Shoot yourself a nice big mulie, bone it out, pack it up and head back to the truck. I like the 5900 bag and felt it would be adequate but opted for the 6900 as we will be packing quite a load of food in to our next trip. Hopefully out heavy as well.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:41 AM

Just bought the Exo Mtn 5500. It's coming soon in the mail!
After doing my homework and watching the videos, it came down to Stone Glacier and Exo. Exo won hands down. Very light (both packs are) but very functional without a ton of compression straps and dismantling to get to the meat shelf. Also the built in dry bag is a huge coup (you pay extra for the dry bag). Both great packs by the looks of things but I am convinced I made the right choice.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:33 AM

Exo has a great marketing scheme for sure.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-28-2019, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Just bought the Exo Mtn 5500. It's coming soon in the mail!
After doing my homework and watching the videos, it came down to Stone Glacier and Exo. Exo won hands down. Very light (both packs are) but very functional without a ton of compression straps and dismantling to get to the meat shelf. Also the built in dry bag is a huge coup (you pay extra for the dry bag). Both great packs by the looks of things but I am convinced I made the right choice.
Good choice. Great pack.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:54 PM

If you’re in the Edmonton area I have an exo3500 you can try on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2019, 11:02 PM

Look at Seek Outside,, seekoutside.com They pack a ton of weight and are lightweight, built super tough. The X-pack material they use is the toughest pack material of any pack I own and is waterproof.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:03 PM

Kifaru all the way. Not sure what U r using this pack for but seems a bit small unless u r only day hunting.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:31 AM

Why don't you go with a larger pack, something you can use for multiple days? They all have compression straps that you can crush the pack down to a small size if you are only day hunting. I use my 7200 for everything.
Just a suggestion.

I have 2 Kuiu packs, never had any issues. Sheep partners uses a Stone Glacier. The Kuiu can certainly haul as much as I can carry, half a sheep and all my gear no problem.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Why don't you go with a larger pack, something you can use for multiple days? They all have compression straps that you can crush the pack down to a small size if you are only day hunting. I use my 7200 for everything.
Just a suggestion.

I have 2 Kuiu packs, never had any issues. Sheep partners uses a Stone Glacier. The Kuiu can certainly haul as much as I can carry, half a sheep and all my gear no problem.
If I was looking to buy another pack frame and bag I would consider the Frontier Gear of Alaska Freighter Frame ($289.00 US) and a Frontier Gear of Alaska Hunter Pack ($404.60 US). Hunter Pack is 6800 cubic inches but can be compressed. Expensive but has good reviews and should last a lifetime.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:16 PM
Banned

Osprey packs, forget the hunting specific rip offs, go with mountain gear already made for it for 1/3rd the price maybe less. I’ve tried it all, the money i wasted...ugh
Old 01-17-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Just a suggestion.

Quote:
I'm looking at the kuiu and the exo mountain. Any feedback or other suggestions would be appreciated. Probably going to go with around the 3500 size.

I bought a Exo 3500 last summer.
I am really happy with it and I’m considering buying the 2000 pack as well for day hunts and just switching bags back and forth as needed
Old 01-17-2019, 08:53 AM

I enjoy my Mystery Ranch Metcalf! It compresses down a lot to be used as a day pack (like most of these packs can) but also can expand and carry a ton of gear/meat! I packed out two deer this year with it and it was great! I got Mystery Ranch because of their reputation of being "bombproof". It's a tad heavier than the SG or Kuiu, but I tend to be hard on equipment, so I will accept the little added weight.

If you have been doing your research, you may of come across this video! Too bad they don't text the Exo, but it may still help with your decision!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2NQmtWUQqc
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_0785.PNG (269.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0605.jpg (51.3 KB, 204 views)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:50 PM

I use the mystery ranch crew cab. Its held up to a couple years of light use. I loaded it up with 150 lbs with the load sling and i was able to get it up and comfortable. had it on for an hour and realized i am out of shape and i usually dont pack out that much. lol

Solid gear from mystery ranch. The new hunting specific packs are nice and am contemplating if i need my wife or the pack more.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:07 AM

Default I'm.thinking about buying a quality pack

There is a lot of good info out there on packs now , destruction tests,reviews, opinions etc. I just went through all this and decided on an exo 3500. I am extremely happy with it, I have yet to hunt with it , but I have been climbing flights of stairs and shooting my bow with 50 lbs in it, it moves well , very comfortable. Probably enough capacity for 4 days. There are a lot of testimonies of it carrying upwards of 250 lbs. the titanium frame makes it very light. Super Happy with it , can’t wait to get it bloody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2019, 05:00 PM

FWI Jimbows has the Mystery Ranch Selway currently on sale 20% off

Very nice pack and pretty light for MR
Old 01-29-2019, 09:48 AM

I upgraded to the stone glacier from Eberlstock, my elk hunting partner uses the EXO and there are some features on his pack that make me pretty Jealous. The built in dry bag feature on the EXO pack is pretty slick.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:44 PM

Love my exo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2019, 09:14 PM
Banned

My osprey xenith 88 had a sleeping bag shelf and some hipsack belts for the top pocket that I of course trimmed the heck out as any gear junky would. Might have replaced the zipper pull loops with some reflective 4mm paracord pulls. All up it’s around 5 1/4 lbs maybe 5 1/2? Memory faded but no more than that. When you get on sale for I think I got mine for 280? A lot of pack for the money, it’ll do. If I hauled for industry I’d look at boras and those Barney externals. Recreational hunting...ospreys have a pretty good rep with hunters.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 PM

Kifaru is the only way to go. Expensive but good. Any of the new ones are worth the money. The Fulcrum is awesome
Old 02-27-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:

EXO all the way. Customer service is 2nd to none!!
Old 03-01-2019, 08:21 PM

DLP, I am assuming you are maxed with your 7-9 days of gear with the cubic inches you are running? Where do you put the meat?
Old 03-02-2019, 12:45 PM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
DLP, I am assuming you are maxed with your 7-9 days of gear with the cubic inches you are running? Where do you put the meat?
You are correct, that is the fully loaded pack. The food is stored in the dry bag resting on the meat shelf and sandwiched between the pack and frame. This is really the most awesome feature about the SG frame is that meat shelf is attached to the frame only.

So, basically the meat goes where the food goes in a separate dry game bag and the food is either cached to be retrieved later or my preference is to eat everything! For all who have been on day 4 or 5, it's not difficult to imagine eating everything you have packed in and looking forward to it!