Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-05-2021, 04:04 PM

Default Ice Fishing Tent Flooring

Please excuse my ignorance, I fish 100+ days a year and have for 35 years but I have only ice fished a couple of times and my boy and I are going to start this season. I have accumulated everything I "need" over the last few seasons except the tent and heater. I'm thinking of an otter lodge.

What do I use for flooring? Do you think its needed?
Old 12-05-2021, 04:10 PM

It is if you’re going to be in one spot for awhile and don’t want to be standing in a puddle of water and sliding all over the place. Most will use EVA foam puzzle squares available at CT, Amazon, etc. You can also build a plywood subfloor if you’re always driving out.

P.S. I'd also look into a Resort or a Monster Lodge if two of you are going out. Even with bunks, the Lodge will be too small IMO. And don’t forget a CO monitor if you’re new to ice camping.

Last edited by AlbertanGP; 12-05-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:12 AM

Princess Auto had some foam floor blocks the other day.

That said in 45 years of ice fishing, I’ve never used a floor.

That said I have good boots.

With kids, getting their feet off the ice will keep their feet way warmer.

I’ve never had problems with water unless there is flood ice. I scrape the snow away which helps.

If you do use a floor you must lift it up as soon as you are done. On a cold day it will freeze in super fast if you wait until after the tent is taken down and packed up.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-06-2021, 10:23 AM

I agree and maybe wasn't clear in my first post. You really only need a floor if you're ice camping or otherwise staying in one spot for a long time. If you're just out for the day, the flooring is likely more trouble than it's worth. It's also not cheap.

If you do wind up getting a floor, I highly recommend .5" thickness over .25".
Old 12-06-2021, 07:05 PM

If you’re just going for the day or shorter trip the floor may not be necessary but if you’re bringing smaller kids along it does help keep their feet warmer. I throw a couple of those foam squares down strategically so my youngest can keep her feet up on them. Seems to help a lot. These are basically just in front of her or a portion of the area, not the whole place. They are also nice if someone needs to kneel by the hole without having waterproof knees and I feel better if I need to lay a fish down on one of these instead of the snow while unhooking.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:50 PM

Doesn't blow away

Doesn't stick to the ice

Easier to transport, roll it, and back roll it to flatten before using

Lighter, cheaper and better than interlocking mats in my experience

Foam Mat from Canadian Tire
Old 12-12-2021, 05:04 PM

^

Thank's for the tip. Will have to pick up a roll or two.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:19 PM
Banned

Check with dollar stores for the foam puzzle flooring, really cheap. I think I still have some in my storage locker, if you're in Edmonton, you can have them.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Doesn't blow away

Doesn't stick to the ice

Easier to transport, roll it, and back roll it to flatten before using

Lighter, cheaper and better than interlocking mats in my experience

Foam Mat from Canadian Tire
I bought a roll of that but smaller from CT for my flip shelters last season. I didn't really care for it. It's so thin it didn't provide enough insulation for my liking and the water found it's way up onto it in short order as well. Now I just carry a couple of puzzle squares to run along the length of the tub, and find it works better for me. Dealing with the roll curling up in cold weather was a big meh as well. YMMV.

For a hub shelter, or if you want something bigger than the area the rolls cover, they aren't ideal either since you can't join them together. Still, the rolls are a viable option and definitely cheaper than the puzzle squares for a day trip.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:53 PM

Keep in mind, I’m generally talking about hardcore overnighting. What works for that works for lesser demands, but not necessarily the other way around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61112EE7-F753-4784-890E-3166B545521A.jpg (17.5 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 6E08A073-963D-4241-A0DA-E030149F80A8.jpg (25.9 KB, 145 views)
Old 12-13-2021, 10:44 AM

Great set up AGP...looks nicer than some hotel rooms I've stayed in...
Old 12-13-2021, 12:16 PM

Glamping or GTFO. lol.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Keep in mind, I’m generally talking about hardcore overnighting. What works for that works for lesser demands, but not necessarily the other way around.
That's the setup, dam. What tent is that, I haven't bought one yet, that looks ideal.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
That's the setup, dam. What tent is that, I haven't bought one yet, that looks ideal.
It's an Otter Vortex Resort. I've overnighted in normal 9X9 hubs like the Otter Lodge, big rectangular double hubs like the Otter Monster Lodge, and now this hex-shaped hub. I like this one the best. Maybe I'll do a thread or *gasp* post a YT video of my setup sometime. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I bought a roll of that but smaller from CT for my flip shelters last season. I didn't really care for it. It's so thin it didn't provide enough insulation for my liking and the water found it's way up onto it in short order as well. Now I just carry a couple of puzzle squares to run along the length of the tub, and find it works better for me. Dealing with the roll curling up in cold weather was a big meh as well. YMMV.

For a hub shelter, or if you want something bigger than the area the rolls cover, they aren't ideal either since you can't join them together. Still, the rolls are a viable option and definitely cheaper than the puzzle squares for a day trip.
To be fair, I am primarily fishing southern Alberta, where snow on the ice is minimal - same with floodwater. When I ran the mats, I found them cumbersome to travel with, prone to blowing away, and slipping on the ice underfoot.

If you're curious, I examined overnighting on the ice and covered some extra lengths to fish in luxury - here:

Ice Fish Camping Hacks Vol 1
Ice Fish Camping Hacks Vol 2