Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-13-2021, 07:55 AM

Default Salmon Retention Limits 2022

I just wondered if any of the Members here have heard if retention limits are going to stay status quo, decrease or as some past years no retention?

When do the Official numbers come out?
Old 12-13-2021, 08:14 AM
Banned

Which rivers are you interested in? I would specifically like to know about the Skeena River?

Cheers - N40
Old 12-13-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
Which rivers are you interested in? I would specifically like to know about the Skeena River?

Cheers - N40
Thanks for the reply. I'm not really interested in rivers rather the Charlottes and Tahsis.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm not really interested in rivers rather the Charlottes and Tahsis.
You are probably pretty safe to assume same as 2021 for those areas. That said, no one really knows what DFO may decide. Usually by April things begin to solidify. If you need to book now, I have, then you take a risk. But there is always something to target for sure.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:14 PM

Northern rivers have not recovered so do not expect any catch retention before July 10 from the Alaska border down to Bella Coola.

For the Fraser, expect the same as before for the Salish Sea from Renfrew into Vancouver.

There simply are weak returns for chinooks in many areas. I am not planning to go to the Coast next summer for salmon based on the declining returns I have seen over the last 10 years.

Drewski
Old 12-13-2021, 03:37 PM
Banned

I only wonder if the Skeena will even be open this summer for fishing. Tragic!
Old 12-13-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I only wonder if the Skeena will even be open this summer for fishing. Tragic!
Highly doubt it. I just hope the steelhead come back so I can fish for them to. Who do you use for a charter in rupert?
Old 12-13-2021, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Highly doubt it. I just hope the steelhead come back so I can fish for them to. Who do you use for a charter in rupert?
I go with a friend that lives there, last time I went with him I caught 26 salmon and 35 Halis in 1 day, he has lived there his entire life! Are you interested in going?
Old 12-13-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Unfortunately historical data shows DFO doesn't give squat about steelhead. When my boy is my age, the only "Steelhead" alive will be caught out of the great lakes, barf.

I fished steelhead on the island, the lower mainland and at the mouth of the Nicola starting in the 80s, most people have no idea about the steelhead we've lost.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Unfortunately historical data shows DFO doesn't give squat about steelhead. When my boy is my age, the only "Steelhead" alive will be caught out of the great lakes, barf.

I fished steelhead on the island, the lower mainland and at the mouth of the Nicola starting in the 80s, most people have no idea about the steelhead we've lost.
It's a mess man, all of the Chinooks are getting caught off shore and flown directly to China and Japan, we get the Pinks, I am soooooooooooo happy I am old and experienced salmon fishing on the east and west coast when I did. The next generations will not see or experience that splendor!
Old 12-14-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:

Cheers - N40
I live in Terrace and I can tell you that every year they shut it down due to "low numbers" meanwhile natives are netting 1/2 the lake. If you're not from around here you roll the dice. It'll be closed until they decide to fart in the wind and decide it's open for a week, then it's closed again for the rest of the year.

I'd say 50% of my buddies sold their jet boats.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:16 AM
AO Sponsor

Things seemed relatively sustainable until the mass proliferation of indian nets showed up in the rivers, annihilating our intended broodstocks.

And the steelhead too.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Things seemed relatively sustainable until the mass proliferation of indian nets showed up in the rivers, annihilating our intended broodstocks.

And the steelhead too.
As someone who grew up on the coast and watched salmon decline it goes much deeper then FN nets alone. Majority of the issues can go into the categories of human greed by all users and habitat destruction. Increase in predators doesn’t help

I have found the dumped wasted salmon and abandoned FN nets that keep catching till they are full of rotten fish so not blind to these issues. But this is just one of many issues

The decline of salmon is truly an example of death by a thousand cuts and there is not one major factor but instead salmon have been hammered from all angles