Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2009, 03:22 PM

Default Big News from Berger Bullets

When I returned to Berger in 2004, I was able to spend more time communicating directly with shooters through emails, phone calls and these forums. I believe strongly that it is from these interactions that we gain a better understanding of what rifle shooters need to be successful. I also understand that there are many shooters who need technical assistance.

Thanks to your support, Berger has been blessed with significant growth. Lately, the challenges that go along with growth while staying focused on quality have pulled me away from the phone, emails and forums. For some time, I have been working on resolving this shortcoming. Our announcement today is the final piece in our solution to this challenge.

It is with great pleasure that I announce the addition of Kevin Thomas to the Berger Bullets team as our E-Technical Consultant. Kevin spent the last 15 years as Sierra’s Chief Ballistician. Prior to becoming Sierra's Chief Ballistician, Kevin spent 6 years moving from Sierra's production floor to their ballistics lab. Kevin will use his extensive shooting knowledge to help folks get the most out of their rifle shooting experience.

Kevin’s addition to Berger puts into place the final piece of our customer service solution. Below is a list of Berger Bullets’ resources that shooters can go to get the answers they need.

Technical Support by Phone – 714-447-5458
Berger has partnered with Sinclair International to provide extensive phone coverage by active and knowledgeable shooters. Led by Bill Gravatt, Sinclair is a highly-respected and legitimate source for technical assistance (among other things).

Loading Data and Technical Assistance from Walt Berger – bergerltd@aol.com
Founder and member of the Benchrest Hall of Fame, Walt Berger’s extensive shooting experience is a tremendous resource for those who need help. Over the last several years, Walt has been working on our loading manual. This work has generated loading data specific to Berger Bullets in most popular cartridges.

Loading Data and Technical Assistance from Kevin Thomas – kevin.thomas@bergerbullets.com (email is not active yet)
Kevin spent two decades shooting in Sierra’s test facility every day and working with major ammo producers on several projects. Additionally, he is an experienced, active and successful competitive target shooter. He will soon be available for those who need shooting related assistance.

External Ballistic Assistance from Bryan Litz – bryan.litz@bergerbullets.com
Bryan’s reputation as a top external ballistics mind is well known. Equally recognized is his success as a competitive target shooter. Bryan is available for those who need to address advanced external ballistics concerns.

Both Kevin Thomas and Bryan Litz will actively engage the forums as we strongly believe that forums are a valuable resource for all shooters (us included).

All of the people listed above are active rifle shooters and are committed to your success. These folks can provide an even greater level of shooting-related technical assistance than I. For this reason, you will see less of me as I focus my attention on the production floor (which is my strength). I will not be disconnected or unavailable, but I will rely heavily on this “dream team” of technical experts to provide you with the information you need to get back to the range or into the field.

Regards,
Eric
Old 02-13-2009, 03:38 PM

Eric:
I just hope the supply lines do not get cut through political issues on either side of the border.

All appearances are that reloading components are in very short supply, and if things dont improve, your sales will begin to suffer.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-13-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Eric:
I just hope the supply lines do not get cut through political issues on either side of the border.

All appearances are that reloading components are in very short supply, and if things dont improve, your sales will begin to suffer.
The sad reality for Canadian shooters is that the sales figures up here probably don't total much more than the two digits to the right of the decimal point on the US suppliers income statements.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
The sad reality for Canadian shooters is that the sales figures up here probably don't total much more than the two digits to the right of the decimal point on the US suppliers income statements.

Aint that the sad truth.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-13-2009, 06:34 PM

Default Berger business culture

Thanks Eric S.

iirc, this is the second time you have contacted this discussion board in a direct fashion, and in ways which I believe reflect positively on your company's business culture-that being that the customer and the customer's point of view matters.

Few companies out there, regardless of their field of endeavour, invest themselves this closely and directly with their customers. May the payoffs, financial and otherwise, be rewarding to you and your dream team.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:30 PM
gitrdun

Berger doesn't offer anything over .300, nor they do have comprehensive loading data readily available on their website. For my part, Hornady kills just as well and gets where I aimed just as fast. Berger do for me about as much as a weiner at a BBQ.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:38 AM

I'm surprised Berger isn't in the 300 grain .338 market.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
Actually anyway you slice it Canada has 10 percent of the loaders the US has. Now who today doesn't want another 10 per cent on their bottom line? We have nothing to apologize for LD and we support those that get their product to the market as we always have. Berger is one company that has made significant strides in supply to the Great White North.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:37 PM

Getting our bullets to every shooter who wants to use them is very important to us. This is as true with Canadian shooters as it is with all those who shoot Bergers throughout the world. Remember that the supply chain is a partnership. We are working hard to get more distribution partners in Canada so that bullet are readily available to those who want them.

We make a full line of .308 diameter bullets and are working hard on our 338 cal. The tooling is done and the machine is being built. I am not suggesting you switch from Hornady. Every shooter should use the products that they feel is best. Berger is simply another option.

Regards,
Eric
Old 02-14-2009, 08:16 PM

very well put eric, quite profesional in your response. one question that i have is why did the price of your product go up so drastically? less than 2 years ago 7mm and 30 cal bullets of yours sold in the $35 neighbourhood, now they are over $50. can you explain why??? other bullet manufactures have not had this type of increase. is this simply a supply and demand thing? thanks
Old 02-19-2009, 05:06 PM

Default Taken from 6mmBR.com (answered the same question)

Bingo1010,

Frankly, I don't know the answer to your question as we have not changed our price since Jan. 08. In Jan 07 our prices did go up during the material price increase.

Something that few people know or remember is that Berger did not change their price through the year while the other brands had as many as three price increases over the same year.

We believed it was important to keep prices stable even though our cost rose significantly. Needless to say this was a rough year for us.

I also understand that the Canadian dollar has fallen quite a bit lately which could influence this situation. Many of those who are selling Berger have purchased their inventory lately as we are working hard to open the pipeline into Canada. Other brands may have been on the shelf longer keeping their prices down since they were purchased while the Canadian dollar was stronger.

Frankly, this is just a guess. One thing I can tell you for sure is that we have not changed our prices for 14 months. If you've seen a change during this time it is related to the dealers other costs and not a change in the US cost of the product.

All,

Bingo1010 point was important to address however my purpose for visiting this thread is to announce that Kevin's email has been activated. If you need any technical assistance please contact him at kevin.thomas@bergerbullets.com.

Regards,
Eric