Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-06-2017, 03:51 PM

Default Child Fish Limit

I believe Regs say that children that are 16 and under don't require a license as long as they are in the company of an adult with a license. The question I have is;

Do kids have their own catch limit or does their catch come out of the quota for the accompanying adult?
Old 03-06-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
I believe Regs say that children that are 16 and under don't require a license as long as they are in the company of an adult with a license. The question I have is;

Do kids have their own catch limit or does their catch come out of the quota for the accompanying adult?
They have their own limit and do not need to be in the company of an adult with a license here in Alberta out side the National Parks.

Last edited by cube; 03-06-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
They have their own limit and do not need to be in the company of an adult with a license here in Alberta out side the National Parks.
Thanks. Can you tell me where in the regs that is reflected?
Old 03-06-2017, 05:26 PM

Trying to find that myself. I can confirm they do not have to be accompanied, but this (page 20 2016 regs)...

If you are under 16 years of age, an Alberta resident aged 65 or
older, or a registered Indian under the Indian Act, you are not required to
have a Sportfishing Licence, but you must follow sportfishing regulations.

suggests they are subject to the same limits.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:28 PM

In the past I have read in the the regs that your catch limit is per license, not pertaining to how many people are present. I would look into it, just to be on the safe side!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:57 PM

Default Under 16 over 65. No licence needed

Must abide by all rules including limits.

Pretty sure they must be Alberta Residents as well.

Will double check when I can.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:07 PM

in the national parks you require a licence to retain fish at any age. children with no licence and retaining fish goes against the limit of the licenced person they are with.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Why do the Hutes & Mennos always bring a vanload of kids with them fishing? Because the kids have their individual limits as well.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:30 PM

Each person has their own limit regardless of age, or license.

A family of 4, mom and dad and 2 young ones, have 4 limits.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Each person has their own limit regardless of age, or license.

A family of 4, mom and dad and 2 young ones, have 4 limits.
X2 You do not require a license if your 15 or younger, as well if your 65 or older. If you fall into one of these 2 categories, you can still possess the legal limit allowed for each species in the province. You do not "piggyback" a license holder between 16-65 and share a possession limit. You can also fish at any age without an adult or license holder present, unlike hunting.

WC
Old 03-06-2017, 08:21 PM

Kids have their own limits but are also supposed to catch their own fish, not just used as an excuse to keep more fish. I believe you can get into trouble if you are caught filling kids limits, just like if you catch walleye for someone elses tags.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
in the national parks you require a licence to retain fish at any age. children with no licence and retaining fish goes against the limit of the licenced person they are with.
National parks have it right.

But then I think all fisherpeople should be licensed.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:26 PM

Another thread turning into what is right and what is wrong. The OP didn't ask who should catch the fish or what should be going on. It was simply if the kids limit was separate or if it tacked onto an accompanying fisherman. DiabeticKripple hit the nail on the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
Must abide by all rules including limits.

Pretty sure they must be Alberta Residents as well.

Will double check when I can.
Alberta:

No licence required for Non Resident Canadians under 16.

No licence required for Non Residents under 16 from outside Canada.

In the regs under licences and costs.

For National parks:

Anyone under the age of 16 may fish in the national parks without a permit if accompanied by a permit holder 16 years of age or older. However, their catch is then included within the permit holder’s daily limit. A valid national park pass is also required by anyone fishing in the parks.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 03-06-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:58 PM

There should be a 5 or even one dollar license fee for seniors just so we know how many more anglers are in the system and so the old boys get a fresh copy of the regs in their hands. Not being ignorant but if we all know the rules maybe that certain percentage of fish that are unknowingly retained especially with the lack of enforcement out there can swim free the fishing might be a smidge better for future anglers. Donate that portion to the disabled or less fortunate but let's get a better count.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
There should be a 5 or even one dollar license fee for seniors just so we know how many more anglers are in the system and so the old boys get a fresh copy of the regs in their hands. Not being ignorant but if we all know the rules maybe that certain percentage of fish that are unknowingly retained especially with the lack of enforcement out there can swim free the fishing might be a smidge better for future anglers. Donate that portion to the disabled or less fortunate but let's get a better count.
See post #13. Thanks for your suggestion but it wasn't necessary......and you're thinking that paying for a license somehow gets a fresh copy of the regs into their hands? Can hardly wait..................I'm 65 in three more years
Old 03-07-2017, 04:43 AM

I have 4 grand kids all under age 8, and the last few years that they were in my boat Their limit was on my licence .
example
If my limit was only one pike . and had all 4 kids fishing with me ,we could only keep one pike .

This rule does not apply for 65 and older.

Knowing this ,I do not know if kids can buy a licence so they can have a limit of their own.

I think they should change this were kids can pick no licence or buy a kids licence with their own limit if they wish to buy a kids licence at a reduced rate. like $5.00
Old 03-07-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I have 4 grand kids all under age 8, and the last few years that they were in my boat Their limit was on my licence .
example
If my limit was only one pike . and had all 4 kids fishing with me ,we could only keep one pike .

This rule does not apply for 65 and older.

Knowing this ,I do not know if kids can buy a licence so they can have a limit of their own.

I think they should change this were kids can pick no licence or buy a kids licence with their own limit if they wish to buy a kids licence at a reduced rate. like $5.00
Is this your own personal rule on the boat or your interpretation of the regulations?
Old 03-07-2017, 07:29 AM

Might answer a few questions . . . http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/Reg...shingFAQs.aspx
Three years, 8 months and 20 days then no license needed but probably by then someone will change the licensing system and then they will go after the seniors, too.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:49 AM

Kids have their own limits as per wateerbody or provincial regs. They must catch their own fish and no one can "share" limits ever.

Not opposed to a change where a parent and a child must share a limit if under a certain age.

LC
Old 03-07-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Not opposed to a change where a parent and a child must share a limit if under a certain age.
Would not be a good idea . . . what happens if the kid has no parent/grandparent, whose licence would their fish be applied to? I can remember growing up and grabbing a rod then heading out for a day of fishing. Plus if they do make kids fish count against an adults limit are they going to make the seniors fish count against someones (their kids) limit?
Old 03-07-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
Would not be a good idea . . . what happens if the kid has no parent/grandparent, whose licence would their fish be applied to? I can remember growing up and grabbing a rod then heading out for a day of fishing. Plus if they do make kids fish count against an adults limit are they going to make the seniors fish count against someones (their kids) limit?
This, my parents didn't fish so I always fished alone as a kid. Growing up well under the poverty line there was no way I could have scraped up the money for a fishing licence, so I'd have either never started fishing or else got an early start down the road to poaching.

That said, my personal policy is that if child can actually fish for themselves... cast the line or find the bottom, set the hook, and reel the fish in... I have no problem with them keeping fish that they have caught. Where I have a problem is when a van load of Menonites shows up and two guys clean house while the kids play.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Kids have their own limits but are also supposed to catch their own fish, not just used as an excuse to keep more fish. I believe you can get into trouble if you are caught filling kids limits, just like if you catch walleye for someone elses tags.
This was always my understanding, but i looked through the regs and dont see anything stating this. I have always used this principle when fishing with my two young boys. If you cant catch fish under your own power then you should not be able to keep it-with the exception of me baiting their hooks if using bait- which i do just for safety, and to keep the boat a little cleaner...but i have to do that for my wife who has a licence as well...lol
Old 03-07-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
This, my parents didn't fish so I always fished alone as a kid. Growing up well under the poverty line there was no way I could have scraped up the money for a fishing licence, so I'd have either never started fishing or else got an early start down the road to poaching.

That said, my personal policy is that if child can actually fish for themselves... cast the line or find the bottom, set the hook, and reel the fish in... I have no problem with them keeping fish that they have caught. Where I have a problem is when a van load of Menonites shows up and two guys clean house while the kids play.
Agreed
Old 03-07-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Kids have their own limits as per wateerbody or provincial regs. They must catch their own fish and no one can "share" limits ever.

LC
I fished by myself mostly or with other kids my age, when I was a kid. Kids fishing by themselves or friends is a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD alternative to sittin' on their azz fiddling with IT. I don't believe in the parent/child share concept..............mainly because it involves parent supervision over something that is not necessary.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
Is this your own personal rule on the boat or your interpretation of the regulations?
Son inlaw told me this at the lake and I said bull **** until he showed it to me in the soft cover regs. Tried looking for it last night on the on line regs.
Could not find it . need to find the my regs that i got from the store.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Son inlaw told me this at the lake and I said bull **** until he showed it to me in the soft cover regs. Tried looking for it last night on the on line regs.

Perhaps in BC or a different province. I assure you this is not and has not been the case in AB as long as I have been fishing. (25 + yrs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2017, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
You're suggesting that seniors don't stay up-to-date with the regs. Give your head a shake.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
JR, kids have their own limits in Provincial regs, they share your limit in National Park.

As long as the child is capable of casting and reeling in their own fish they can keep whatever fish is legslnto do so. You can't keep fish on their limit as mentioned above.

They do not need to be accompanied by an adult in Provincial waters.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
You are being ignorant. Do you actually think that one must purchase a fishing licence to obtain a copy of the fishing regulations. They are there for the taking at any place that sells fishing licences. The fishing regulations have "Free of charge" on the top left corner of the regulations. Did you not notice? All fisherman and this includes seniors want and need to know the regulations as there are changes made from one season to another.

You are being ignorant to suggest that seniors would unknowingly retain fish because they don't know the rules.