Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-09-2017, 11:55 AM

Default Boat guys help needed!!

So I was lucky enough to come across this steal last fall... took it out once, it works!!!!
Now all you veteran boat owners.... I have lots of questions as I've only ever owned my 14' tinner....
I picked up the helix 9 ( for another steal ) and got an excellent price on a new terrova i-pilot link 80# thrust 60" shaft .... I've currently bought all new batteries for the boat and trolling motor (3 total ) and I want to install an on board charger do I put in a 3 bank charger or only 2 bank? I was told not to touch my "starter" battery only charge it up once or twice during the season or I'll wreck it ... and what is a good on board charger I hear the bass pro are made by pro-mariner and then there is the 'kota's as well!?!?
If anyone had a good marine mechanic in Calgary please let me know as I'd like it to have a tune up this spring! ( I have heard there are any good ones in Calgary)
I'm sure I'll have more questions as I'm so new to this style of boat, thanks in advance for your help..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8268.jpg (78.1 KB, 350 views)
Old 03-09-2017, 12:01 PM

Grats on the boat, looks great! +1 on keeping starter and trolling batteries separate, you don't want to accidentally drain your starter on your trolling motor. I have my batteries on an older MK charger and it's been very reliable. The starter I just test periodically and use an automotive trickle charger on it if it needs it.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 PM

I have the same set up. 24v trolling motor and 12v starting and accessories. I use a minnkota 3 bank charger. It charges each bank separately. I would suggest a good quality 3 bank charger. These chargers not only charge your batteries they also condition them. I get back from fishing plug the boat in and don't worry about the batteries
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchpirate View Post
Grats on the boat, looks great! +1 on keeping starter and trolling batteries separate, you don't want to accidentally drain your starter on your trolling motor. I have my batteries on an older MK charger and it's been very reliable. The starter I just test periodically and use an automotive trickle charger on it if it needs it.
Thanks, so I'd be okay with just a 2 bank charger then....? Then I run my electronics and trolling motor off the other two? My trolling motor is 24v and I don't need 24v for electronics so is it a matter of wiring it differently? ( I'm no electrical expert)
Old 03-09-2017, 12:27 PM

Put a 3 bank charger into it. One bank for each battery. I'd be running my electronics off the starter battery. wouldn't want too chance frying an expensive fish finder hooking up to 2 battery's that are wired together for 24volts.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:45 PM

I don't know the answer to your questions but if you want to turn your steal of a deal into a little profit, I am looking for a boat like this to buy. Inbox me if interested - Cheers
Old 03-09-2017, 12:51 PM

That is a sweet boat! I can see you cruisin lake Minnewanka for lakers with that thing!
Old 03-09-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
So I was lucky enough to come across this steal last fall... took it out once, it works!!!!

Now all you veteran boat owners.... I have lots of questions as I've only ever owned my 14' tinner....

I picked up the helix 9 ( for another steal ) and got an excellent price on a new terrova i-pilot link 80# thrust 60" shaft .... I've currently bought all new batteries for the boat and trolling motor (3 total ) and I want to install an on board charger do I put in a 3 bank charger or only 2 bank? I was told not to touch my "starter" battery only charge it up once or twice during the season or I'll wreck it ... and what is a good on board charger I hear the bass pro are made by pro-mariner and then there is the 'kota's as well!?!?

If anyone had a good marine mechanic in Calgary please let me know as I'd like it to have a tune up this spring! ( I have heard there are any good ones in Calgary)

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I'm so new to this style of boat, thanks in advance for your help..

Congrats on the boat, you can get away with a 2 bank, but since you are running electronics off the starting battery it would be my choice to have a good 3 bank charger to make sure that start battery is properly conditioned and fully charged.

I have an MK onboard charger in my boat and it has been perfect, I am very happy with it.

As far as a tune up goes, I would suggest having an outboard guy change plugs, test coils, change fuel filter, rebuild water pump, and rebuild water pump. These items won't cost you too much, I am not not sure of a mechanic in Calgary, I am from Olds and I drive up to Free Spirit Marine. They are up north but great guys and well worth the drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.O. View Post
I have the same set up. 24v trolling motor and 12v starting and accessories. I use a minnkota 3 bank charger. It charges each bank separately. I would suggest a good quality 3 bank charger. These chargers not only charge your batteries they also condition them. I get back from fishing plug the boat in and don't worry about the batteries
Thanks for me as well
I have a similar setup and I'm going with your recommendation. Just makes a whole lot of sense. I've been caught a couple of times now where I have the trolling batteries charged but the main one is dead...long story shorty I have to end up using the one of the trolling ones for that trip and forget the bow mount...not smart by me.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:36 PM

I'd also recommend going with a 3 bank charger, I don't think you'll ever regret it. Unless you're doing a lot of driving with the main motor, electronics and livewells will eventual draw your starting battery down, it's hard for the alternator to keep up. The simplicity, convenience factor, and peace of mind are worth something too.

I've had very good luck with the MinnKota chargers.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:17 PM

I run same setup with 3 bank minnkota charger, makes no sense to have 3 batteries but only charge 2. 3 bank charger is only slightly larger
Old 03-09-2017, 03:19 PM

My boat has a DualPro PS3 3 bank charger in it. Two banks are for the 2 trolling motor batteries and the third is for the cranking battery. It tops them off and maintains them when you plug it in and it has LEDs for each bank to show you how low the batteries were and when they are full. I don't have any experience with the MinnKota chargers but suspect that they are good too.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-09-2017, 04:52 PM

You guys are awesome!! So I was mislead by the guy I was talking to.... this is why I love asking you guys.. I wasn't sure how I was going to hook up to the 24v system with my electronics!!
Old 03-09-2017, 05:13 PM

For main. etc. I use Auto Marine in Calgary, great shop, great mech.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
For main. etc. I use Auto Marine in Calgary, great shop, great mech.
I'll give them a look thanks!!!
Old 03-09-2017, 11:14 PM
Banned

I don't know who told you you will wreck a battery by using it but they are misinformed. Lead acid is lead acid. You can't wreck a battery by using it provided you don't short it out. No matter how much draw you put on a battery it can only supply the amount of power it was built for. Certain batteries are better for certain things like starting but you won't ever wreck one by pulling less than its rated wattage. The biggest thing with lead acid is to not completely drain them and never freeze them. Also if you are storing batteries over the winter you should make sure they are fully charged first or keep them on a battery maintainer.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks, so I'd be okay with just a 2 bank charger then....? Then I run my electronics and trolling motor off the other two? My trolling motor is 24v and I don't need 24v for electronics so is it a matter of wiring it differently? ( I'm no electrical expert)
Don't run your electronics off your trolling batteries. Keep those 100% dedicated to your minn Kota. You will also get bad noise interference if you do.

Your sonar, live wells, stereo, downriggers and all miscellaneous electrical runs off your starting battery. Carry a set of booster cables long enough to reach the bow batteries in case.

I run 2 batteries at the stern in my boat with a perko switch. 1 battery strictly for starting and running the motor and the other for all other electronics. My Evinrude E-Tec has a stator and I had an extra charging wire added so both batteries get charged when I'm running the big motor if set on the right setting and the livewell and sonars won't drain the starter.

I run a 2 bank minn Kota charger in the bow for the minn Kota batteries and am in the process of adding a second one for the back 2 batteries. They are smart chargers so they will only charge or maintain if needed.

Beautiful boat and welcome to the A Team
Old 03-10-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
I don't know who told you you will wreck a battery by using it but they are misinformed.
One of the guys that works the boating area at bass pro
Old 03-10-2017, 05:54 PM

Ok so heres where I'm at-
a 3 bank charger - dedicate my trolling motor batteries to my trolling motor, run electronics off my boat motor battery ( or get a fourth ), the minn kota charger seems pretty good. Has anyone heard of the NOCO marine battery chargers ( I can get a 3 bank 30amp close to cost .... the reviews seem ok )
Old 03-10-2017, 06:00 PM

This is what I have and where I got it from.. has been an excellent unit.

https://www.batterystuff.com/battery...rgers/RS3.html
Old 03-10-2017, 06:35 PM

1) Get the 3 bank - 2 banks go to your 2 batteries, on your 24 volt system for your trolling motor and the 3rd bank goes to your one cranking/accessories battery at 12v. All you have to do is hook them up. The charger is smart and will know what to push in, how much to push in and how often to give them a stir. These chargers are worth every penny.

2) DO NOT attempt to run your 12v electronics (sonar) on a 24v system ..... use your 12v cranking battery to run your sonar and other 12v accessories. Most sonars do not tolerate 24v well.

As a side note - Your 3rd bank, and having it connected to, and charging and conditioning from your on board charger will not hurt your cranking battery whatsoever. That is poor information. These chargers are smart. These charger increase the battery life and efficiency. They do absolutely nothing negative. Having your cranking battery topped up and conditioned while your boat rests between trips or over the winter is a good thing.

BEAUTY boat by the way - she looks great - Congrats
Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 PM

I've had the Canadian Tire 3 bank charger for several yrs. Have had no issues with it although a better quality charger sure won't hurt.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:39 AM

Default What's it's all about

Well guys in a matter of a couple of days you all have eased my stress level!! Not wanting to go wrong and spend more money after I've wrecked something I thank you all for the help!!! I'm sure you've successfully saved me thousands already!! I may try and chronicle this and post it here maybe it'll
help another NEWB.....

I will have two batteries under the left console and one at the back by the motor, best mounting area?? Do these chargers come with long cords?
Dont go anywhere.. I may have more questions!!
Old 03-11-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:

I will have two batteries under the left console and one at the back by the motor, best mounting area?? Do these chargers come with long cords?
Dont go anywhere.. I may have more questions!!
The cables don't come too long but you can extend them. They have certain spec for how much length you can add to them and keeping the fuse close to the battery. They say in the instructions.

Before you buy, measure your runs from where you plan to put the charger and see which charger you plan on getting. Then find the instructions online and make sure you can do what you're wanting.

I'm running 2- 2 bank chargers in mine. 1 up front and 1 in the rear but I have the room to do so.