Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-01-2019, 06:44 PM

Default Archery Mule Deer Tips

So this years goal is to get a mule with archery equipment. I am wondering if anyone has some tips or which terrain is the best to hunt them in? I have always thought the river valleys would be prime. But no clue how you would find a buck once it goes over the edge to bed up? Has anybody waited in the morning at the bottom of the river valleys ? I would think in the morning would be the best time to try and put one to bed then stalk it. Let’s hear some stories or strategies
Old 03-01-2019, 06:56 PM
Banned

Come from above...... Watch them bed and go get them. Wind is crucial.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:16 PM

Don’t come from below. There will almost always be terrain or brush blocking a shot from below.
Come from above, and at an angle - or at the same level as them.
The most important thing to worry about is wind direction and wind speed. Good gusty wind will help cover any sounds you make. If it’s dead calm, wait for a wind. Their hearing is UNREAL, and under appreciated by most people. If you can hear your own footprints, you can bet they can hear you too.

I’ll send you a PM
Old 03-01-2019, 09:33 PM

Start on one side of the red deer river.
Find buck across the red deer river. Put said deer to sleep, noting a pole or a rock or a bush next to him.

Drive over to that side of river.Sneak up on that guy. 30yds with wind blowing from him to you.
Wait 3.96 hours until he stands up . At which point you wake up and shoot him.

And the peasants rejoice.

Or find a canola field, belly crawl shoot.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:40 AM

One of the best tips I got was "let your eyes do the walking"
Sometimes it makes more sense to glass out an area instead of wandering and bumping deer like I used to do.

You sacrifice a bit knowing that there may be bucks in valleys that you don't see but that's the price you pay.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:43 PM

Got mine last year from a ground blind, but there was snow, and a funnel that made them move within 30 yards. Took 6 cold days but I knew they would move through that spot again so waited them out.

Spot and stalk is wayyyy easier in a flat (ish) field. Watch how Cody Robbins does it on live2hunt, and pay attention. There’s a lot of good info on that show.

I’ve hunted them in a river valley found out real quick there’s a reason they live in that stuff. The angles, wind eddys, and brush seem to have a way of wrecking every stalk. Same with rolling hills/pothole country, looks easy and then you realize you invariably end up skylining yourself every time.

Also - wool (or cotton in early season) only, top to bottom. Synthetics make too much noise
Old 03-02-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1234 View Post
So this years goal is to get a mule with archery equipment. I am wondering if anyone has some tips or which terrain is the best to hunt them in? I have always thought the river valleys would be prime. But no clue how you would find a buck once it goes over the edge to bed up? Has anybody waited in the morning at the bottom of the river valleys ? I would think in the morning would be the best time to try and put one to bed then stalk it. Let’s hear some stories or strategies
good binos and soft boots. Spot em and stock em.
Patience is the key!! sneak in upwind, wait until he stands up.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:08 PM

Use a decoy on the edge of an opening and be downwind of it.