Banned

Arrow Monster Spring!

One hell of a fish!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-5L-D56dow
Old 12-04-2021, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
AWESOME! I so cant wait to get back to Prince Rupert next June/July for my annual salmon, halibut, and Cod trip!

Thanks for posting that video!
Old 12-04-2021, 01:36 PM

Lets hope that fish made it to the hatchery. Lets hope that the eggs took and there was good recruitment. Lets hope that the genetics are then spread to other hatcheries in hopes of spreading the genes to other runs where the 7 year Springs have not returned in decades.

This is the basic problem with the hatchery system on the west coast. They target the most abundant 3 and 4 year fish, so that there are big returns for the seals, the sporties, the FN's, and hopefully some make to spawn.

Every year at sea these bigger fish have diminishing numbers from disease, predation, and commercial fishermen who are far offshore. Then the inshore commercial fishing and the sport fishing and the FN fishing all take their toll on top of the seal predation, and one day there are no big fish returning. That is what has happened on the Skeena.

When a hatchery can turn a 2 % natural return recruitment to a 10 % return hatchery recruitment as more eggs hatch and more smolts survive, that means that getting the genetics from such a big fish will ensure future survival by the increased returns.

All the same, a fish of a lifetime and a very honourable thing done!

Drewski
Old 12-05-2021, 10:23 AM

Can we please have a post and just enjoy it for once without all the BS commentary...

Amazing fish!!! Gayle deserves a lot of high fives for this! Wanting to release deserves extra Kudos.
I'm not a replica person but that is an exceptional job by Advanced! The footage of her hugging the replica puts it into perspective. Thanks for this Noggin, made my day.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:29 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

what a beast

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-07-2021, 08:36 PM

Default monster chinook

Wow, that really was a monster chinook.

I'd love to go to their house for coffee & have a first hand look at all those trophies / mounts that are present in the video. Lots of good stories there.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:48 PM

Wonderful story. These folks have the right idea. Beautiful fish

Thank you for sharing this
Old 12-08-2021, 07:02 AM

Geezus!! I have a 38"x28" catch & release from Lake Ontario on the wall that Advanced did for me. Cannot imagine a 55"x38" in the same spot? It would take up the whole section of wall mine is on...that is an amazing salmon! WOW!

Here is what my 38"x28" looks like with me holding it. I'm 5'-10" and 245lbs...Cannot imagine how large Gayle's must be in hand? It has as much girth as mine has length! I'd love to see that mount or better yet a fish of that proportion in my boat!

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 01-01-2022 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:14 AM
AO Sponsor

Amazing!! Catch of a lifetime right there, and wicked job letting it go!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-08-2021, 07:57 PM

Great fish, great story and a great place to fish!! ><(((*>
Old 12-08-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Lets hope that fish made it to the hatchery. Lets hope that the eggs took and there was good recruitment. Lets hope that the genetics are then spread to other hatcheries in hopes of spreading the genes to other runs where the 7 year Springs have not returned in decades.

This is the basic problem with the hatchery system on the west coast. They target the most abundant 3 and 4 year fish, so that there are big returns for the seals, the sporties, the FN's, and hopefully some make to spawn.

Every year at sea these bigger fish have diminishing numbers from disease, predation, and commercial fishermen who are far offshore. Then the inshore commercial fishing and the sport fishing and the FN fishing all take their toll on top of the seal predation, and one day there are no big fish returning. That is what has happened on the Skeena.

When a hatchery can turn a 2 % natural return recruitment to a 10 % return hatchery recruitment as more eggs hatch and more smolts survive, that means that getting the genetics from such a big fish will ensure future survival by the increased returns.

All the same, a fish of a lifetime and a very honourable thing done!

Drewski
"They took photos, a measurement and then released it"

Makes me jealous living in Alberta where our largest species has only ever shown me a 45 lb specimen!
Old 12-08-2021, 11:40 PM
AO Sponsor

Great job for the release! Know people that were beside them up there in 2020. Won't get into if it was actually 105lbs But regardless good on em for releasing it!
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 12-10-2021, 05:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
Geezus!! I have a 38"x28" catch & release from Lake Ontario on the wall that Advanced did for me. Cannot imagine a 55"x38" in the same spot? It would take up the whole section of wall mine is on...that is an amazing salmon! WOW!

Here is what my 38"x28" looks like with me holding it. I'm 5'-10" and 245lbs...Cannot imagine how large Gayle's must be in hand? It has as much girth as mine has length! I'd love to see that mount or better yet a fish of that proportion in my boat!
Lake Ontario produces some really big Chinooks hey?

Here is one my father caught on Lake Ontario back in the 90's. Remember how Bronte Creek was loaded with them during the spawn?

Sorry for the poor quality it's a photocopy of a picture.