Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-17-2021, 10:49 AM

Default Jiffy Propane Auger

In the market for a new auger, any info on the propane augers?
Old 12-17-2021, 10:54 AM

I just sold mine!

The jiffy propane runs great! always starts first or second pull. The only thing is propane doesn't run very will in the cold so you still have to keep the small 1lb tank warm. It can easily punch 100+holes in a day. Thick holes too!

Its also VERY heavy.

Reason why I sold mine was to use a lighter set up.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 12-17-2021, 11:41 AM

I have an Eskimo P1 Rocket 10" propane auger and this will be my 4th season with it. No issues so far but the first start of the day usually takes 7 to 8 pulls - after that it usually starts on the first pull, even if it's been sitting outside in -20c. I keep the 1 pound propane tank in the cab of my truck to keep it warm on the drive to the shack, and I like that there is no fuel tank to worry about leaking all over. It's not the fastest cutting auger but it's ok - the original blades will need sharpening this year. With the 18" extension it's a little hard to maneuver inside the shack due to having only 6ft of headroom, but outside it's ok.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:59 AM

I have an Eskimo Propane 10" - going on 5-6 years now. East to start, and after the first time (where you need 3-4 pulls only on the first hole) but once the lines get primed - It's always one short pull and she fires up even in very cold temps.

I love it. I don't have to worry about battery power, no stinking spills, nothing. Just keep an extra 1lb bottle in the truck and you are set.

I still think this is the best option out there.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:12 PM

Got a hell of a deal last winter on an Eskimo propane 8" at Peavy mart.
Regular $649.00 for $299.00. Love it more than my jiffy gas. Just ensure you keep your propane tanks warm. Someone above mentioned they are heavy. It is no more heavy than my old Jiffy gas auger.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:16 PM

I had the 8" a few yrs back. Worked great and easy to start and nice when you can drill in your tent without the gas fumes.

Just got a little too heavy for me. But if you are a younger guy no problem.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I have an Eskimo Propane 10" - going on 5-6 years now. East to start, and after the first time (where you need 3-4 pulls only on the first hole) but once the lines get primed - It's always one short pull and she fires up even in very cold temps.

I love it. I don't have to worry about battery power, no stinking spills, nothing. Just keep an extra 1lb bottle in the truck and you are set.

I still think this is the best option out there.

Me too .... see.

D.

Old 12-17-2021, 07:23 PM

I've got the Jiffy Pro4 propane unit and it's absolutely deadly. Never failed me. I'd love to go electric, but the wife won't let me till this one dies, and I honestly feel like it never will. We were so lucky and got an open-box deal at Canadian Tire for $275 about 5 years ago. The thing cuts like a dream every time.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:07 PM

2 buddies have Propane augers. They work just fine in warmer weather. Anything cooler than -15C and they get problematic. That and they are heavier than hell.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:11 PM

I've got the Eskimo P1 10". It sees pretty low temps up here but has been fairly reliable the 3 seasons I have had it. Occasionally it will have not one, but two extensions on it. Some of the plastic covering the exhaust has cracked and I have had to replace the regulator twice (once was entirely my fault, the other a mystery). Would I buy it again...probably, although I am looking at the Jiffy electric (ripper blade) since I often fish the Yukon river which carries quite a bit of silt. Hell on the shaver blades.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:23 PM

I am pretty sure the propane augers are a little lighter compared to the equivalent gas models - and this model was a pound or two lighter compared to the gas one I had when I bought it 5-6 years ago.

I've also never had any issues even when I leave it outside the tent in very cold temps for hours and hours - like -25 kind of thing. Seems to be no issue whatsoever. I guess a guy could keep the one extra tank in the tent if he wanted, but never had to swap the tanks due to colder weather.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:33 PM

Heavy yes.... Cold weather? No issue. Keep the propane bottles warm, and there's never an issue. Used it in -40 on Lake Winnipeg, with the extension on and cut through nearly 3 feet of ice.
Old 12-19-2021, 08:52 AM

No experience with the Jiffy, bought an Eskimo HC40 10" and love it. Cleaner and quieter than gas. As others mention, first start takes a few pulls then it's first pull every time after. I have never worried about cold temps but, have an extra bottle in the truck just in case. I followed the manual when it was new which suggested to tune it in the temps you would normally use it in and have never had any issues down to -30c.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:24 PM

I have an 8" Jiffy Pro4 lite propane I'll sell you!

Its been a good auger, sometimes a little fickle with the carb setup but the Lawnmower hospital helped me solve that.

I never kept the bottle warm and it always fired up on the second pull. I'm now a Strikemaster 40V owner so this one isnt seeing any action anymore.