Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2018, 03:44 PM

Thumbs down watch for expired merchandise at retail stores. Boat safety flares

I went on line for the big Father's Day Sale looking for some safety flares for my boat and Cabelas had them in stock. Trouble is they expire 10/18 so for $50 I get six flares that are good for 3 months. I called Cabelas to see if they would check stock to find any that were good until 2021 "I'm sorry sir we don't do that." I also asked what happens if I get these flares sent and they are already expired "they are final sale just like everything in the store". Good to know, no more shopping at Cabela's

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-17-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I went on line for the big Father's Day Sale looking for some safety flares for my boat and Cabelas had them in stock. Trouble is they expire 10/18 so for $50 I get six flares that are good for 3 months. I called Cabelas to see if they would check stock to find any that were good until 2021 "I'm sorry sir we don't do that." I also asked what happens if I get these flares sent and they are already expired "they are final sale just like everything in the store". Good to know, no more shopping at Cabela's
I think you just got a bad worker man, that doesn't sound right at all, lazy worker. I'd call back and speak with someone else.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:56 PM
Banned

Sounds to me like you talked to a sales associate who has not yet learned what good service is. I have always had pretty good service when talking to a manager.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:56 PM

sound like the result of being bankrupt, and new policies.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:54 PM

Cabela’s and Bass pro are both jokes, everybody said how bad wholesale was, but, still better than these two.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:49 AM

Maybe no solace, however, have popped off extensive numbers of para flares way out of date with spectacular result.

I understand the date/ safety aspect however, tubes of fire always seem to do what is expected. As long as they are kept properly.

Safety is costly.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

All retail stores have issues but I would not hesitate to return to get a deal or two at any of these stores....makes my bucks go a long way....went to a store the other day, issues, went to another and got what I wanted only torrential the initial store to get another deal with no issues....win, win for me

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-18-2018, 06:37 AM

Everytime there's been an issue, they've done right by me,no complaints
Old 06-18-2018, 07:19 AM

Reminds of milk in the store, best before date. 2 weeks old on the shelf and only one day left on the best before date.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:58 AM

I'm guessing you bought the Tru Flare pen style flares. Yes those one do have a shelf life but as long as you store them in a waterproof storage container they will last long past the date. If you leave them in the box they will absorb moisture and fail to fire. I find one of those small pelican cases and a desiccant pack works the best.

Generally speaking, every store I have dealt with has a no return product on any pyrotechnic device. This included Wholesale, Canadian Tire, Ect. Im also guessing Cabelas grouped these flares in with ammunition and reloading components as they are basically a .22 cal blank, gun powder,strontium carbonate and magnesium. Cabela's return policy states:
Quote:
Final Sale items that cannot be returned include:

Ammunition, gun powder, primers or reloading components
Arrows (once cut to length)
Bear or dog spray
Books
Food processing equipment
Footwear insoles
Gift Cards and E-Gift Cards
Sleeping bags and mattresses (including mattress pads)
Pre-owned firearms purchased from a retail store
Special Orders (including personalized items)
Tree stands and ladder stands
Underwear, lingerie, swimsuits and base layers
Retail-location Bargain Cave items (exception: Bargain Cave items purchased on Cabelas.ca follow general return guidelines).

Items purchased from a retail location in the United States or from Cabelas.com may not be returned to a Canadian retail store. Similarly, items purchased from Cabela’s Canada may not be returned in the United States.

Other restrictions may apply. For more information please call 1.800.265.6245 or email info@cabelas.ca.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 06-18-2018, 08:17 AM

The problem is not will they work, the problem is when you are checked on the ocean by RCMP and they find your mandatory flares are expired they give you a little piece of paper that costs you money. The officer himself said he knows full well the 30 flares I have will work fine, but.....
This time I got a warning. I need new flares before July 10.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-18-2018, 08:25 AM

I think the point here is that an online purchase of an item that expires and they send almost at the expiry date product. Sounds like the product could have a three or more year shelf life when manufactured so I think that sending you anything with less than 75-80 percent life remaining is a low blow and they should make good on it. The issue is not the return policy concerning pyrotechnics. It’s the dirty move of sending near end of useful life product and there unwillingness to work a solution.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:36 AM

Cabela’s is great. Sometimes it’s the consumer.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Cabela’s is great. Sometimes it’s the consumer.
Sometimes people are too simple or maybe innocently nieve to realise they are being duped. Not that I have any problem with that, they can go on blissfully unaware that they are being taken advantage of, I just prefer to know what I am buying and what legalities go along with them.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
I think the point here is that an online purchase of an item that expires and they send almost at the expiry date product. Sounds like the product could have a three or more year shelf life when manufactured so I think that sending you anything with less than 75-80 percent life remaining is a low blow and they should make good on it. The issue is not the return policy concerning pyrotechnics. It’s the dirty move of sending near end of useful life product and there unwillingness to work a solution.
Exactly. When I talked to the warehouse about an online order they said they will not restock the store until they are all sold. Lol.
They have 6 packs of them that expire in less than 4 months, which hopefully will never sell, and then they will not remove them because in their minds they are fine. They just are again blissfully unaware of the rules of the Ocean.

I ended up buying a 4 pack of handheld flares at Canadian Tire yesterday in Wainwright, they were manufactured July 2017. The manager gave me a small discount because of the expiry date. Trouble is to be compliant you have to have 6. Cabela's sells them in packs of 5. Think they know about the 6 deal? Damn straight they do!

Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I'm guessing you bought the Tru Flare pen style flares. Yes those one do have a shelf life but as long as you store them in a waterproof storage container they will last long past the date. If you leave them in the box they will absorb moisture and fail to fire. I find one of those small pelican cases and a desiccant pack works the best.

Generally speaking, every store I have dealt with has a no return product on any pyrotechnic device. This included Wholesale, Canadian Tire, Ect. Im also guessing Cabelas grouped these flares in with ammunition and reloading components as they are basically a .22 cal blank, gun powder,strontium carbonate and magnesium. Cabela's return policy states:
No they are the 12ga duals. Again the issue is not will they work, it is the sharp little eyes on the RCMP or DFO / Coast Guard Officer checking for Safety Compliance on the open water. Expired flares = $$$ taken away.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:20 AM

Labelmaker......new "revised expiry dates", stick on package of flares.
If questioned, "that's how they came".

Besides that, I would definitely take them back to store and demand a refund for a nearly expired product.
Most stores will make things right. When they don't, I just casually talk about all the wonderful reviews I can leave and how much money they will lose...
Old 06-18-2018, 09:32 AM

If you are so aware of the expiry dates why would you purchase them online from a store paying minimum wage instead of seeing the item yourself in store? Do you really think the kid in the back room picking orders even knows about marine boating laws? Especially if they do not list the expiry dates on the website. If the product they sold you is not already expired they did nothing wrong. You also purchased the flares from an area where their use really is not that common. Perhaps if you purchased them from a store located on the coast where the marine laws are much more applicable you would have got some with a much longer time to expire.

I'm sorry to say, you didn't do your homework and this time you got burned. Its all part of the online shopping experience.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
If you are so aware of the expiry dates why would you purchase them online from a store paying minimum wage instead of seeing the item yourself in store? Do you really think the kid in the back room picking orders even knows about marine boating laws? Especially if they do not list the expiry dates on the website. If the product they sold you is not already expired they did nothing wrong. You also purchased the flares from an area where their use really is not that common. Perhaps if you purchased them from a store located on the coast where the marine laws are much more applicable you would have got some with a much longer time to expire.

I'm sorry to say, you didn't do your homework and this time you got burned. Its all part of the online shopping experience.
Marine rules are the same throughout Canada last time I checked lots of boats in Alberta.
With an online order I would assume you don't get to check the dates very easily.
I need an Epi Pen for an allergy …..24 month shelf life however one time when I got home the thing expired in less than 6 months …….it is now something I check before I leave the store.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Marine rules are the same throughout Canada last time I checked lots of boats in Alberta.
With an online order I would assume you don't get to check the dates very easily.
I need an Epi Pen for an allergy …..24 month shelf life however one time when I got home the thing expired in less than 6 months …….it is now something I check before I leave the store.
But In Alberta how often is your safety equipment actually checked compared to on the coast? Vessels are also generally smaller so different requirements apply.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Exactly. When I talked to the warehouse about an online order they said they will not restock the store until they are all sold. Lol.
They have 6 packs of them that expire in less than 4 months, which hopefully will never sell, and then they will not remove them because in their minds they are fine. They just are again blissfully unaware of the rules of the Ocean.

I ended up buying a 4 pack of handheld flares at Canadian Tire yesterday in Wainwright, they were manufactured July 2017. The manager gave me a small discount because of the expiry date. Trouble is to be compliant you have to have 6. Cabela's sells them in packs of 5. Think they know about the 6 deal? Damn straight they do!
Chances are they are made in the States. Their laws may be different?

But in that vein, why do they sell hotdog buns in 12s, but hotdogs/smokies in 5s and 10s?

I think the product should not be sold with an expiry so close to the sale date.

You should contact the manager. That is not good customer service.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Sometimes people are too simple or maybe innocently nieve to realise they are being duped. Not that I have any problem with that, they can go on blissfully unaware that they are being taken advantage of, I just prefer to know what I am buying and what legalities go along with them.
To simple to talk to the manager and get things straightened out.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:

In point form-
If I am so aware of the expiry dates? Have you read any of the thread? The point is law states they must be within the date of expiration. Of course I am aware of the date.
I tried to buy them from the store but they expire in 3 months.
I tried to buy them online because the instore ones are 3 months from useless.
I don't care if the kid knows or not, I want current product. That's why I called.
I live here they sell them do not care if it is common.
I'm sorry to say you didn't read the thread and have no idea what you are responding to, I was doing my research before I bought, still have not bought from them, and have not been burned.
Maybe read then type.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
Chances are they are made in the States. Their laws may be different?

But in that vein, why do they sell hotdog buns in 12s, but hotdogs/smokies in 5s and 10s?

I think the product should not be sold with an expiry so close to the sale date.

You should contact the manager. That is not good customer service.
Possibly.

Because the first few buns closest to the open end get moldy first. When you throw out the bad ones, you then have to correct amount for the hotdog package.

Loblaws, a Cabela's company

Old 06-18-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
To simple to talk to the manager and get things straightened out.
Did that.

'we have 76 boxes of these throughout the stores. They are still good for a couple of months'.

I explained the situation a little deeper.

He is going to talk to his higher-ups and see what if anything can be done to find some current ones.

I said that if we went by cost/expiry date these flares in a kit are worth about $.69c per box per month. $25/36 with 3 months left i would gladly pay $2.00 apiece for 2 boxes before they throw them out as they are useless, they would get me by this year. Even $5.00 per box x2 just to go fishing in July.
He didn't really have an answer for me, but said he will get back to me when he finds something out.

We will maybe see. I believe this guy, have talked to some stoneheads there before though.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:05 PM
Banned

i bought an expensive dehydrator and all the plastic cracked and broke the first time i used it

FINAL SALE!!! all food processing goods. they practically yelled "SUCKER" as i walked out the door
Old 06-18-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
In point form-
If I am so aware of the expiry dates? Have you read any of the thread? The point is law states they must be within the date of expiration. Of course I am aware of the date.
I tried to buy them from the store but they expire in 3 months.
I tried to buy them online because the instore ones are 3 months from useless.
I don't care if the kid knows or not, I want current product. That's why I called.
I live here they sell them do not care if it is common.
I'm sorry to say you didn't read the thread and have no idea what you are responding to, I was doing my research before I bought, still have not bought from them, and have not been burned.
Maybe read then type.
Ok I miss read that, I was under the impression you had purchased them. For that I apologize.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:00 PM

That is good to know Ken. Just check my stock and 2 out of 3 are out of date. One is 2010 and the other expires in 2007. I can not find a date on the pen style flares. I guess I will just have to use them to keep the elk out of my hay.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:13 PM

Cabelas is a business. They need to recover their cost on product. If the flares are still good for three months, they're not just going to dispose of them. Of course they're going to sell them. If you're not happy with the product, go somewhere else. Personally I've had exemplary service from Cabela's over the years.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:23 PM

In today's day and age of online purchasing and unlimited long distance calling, if you need something specific, the onus is on you to research, and then make sure you are getting what you want.

Ken, I don't mean to be contrary, but in the time and negative energy it took you to write and respond in this thread, you could have found fresh flares and had an ice cold beer while watching the tube.

No store is perfect, but whenever I have had an issue at Cabelas, and it has happened a few times, some sweet talk and patience on my part has always brought about a really satisfactory result.