Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-21-2016, 06:41 AM

Default Grande Prairie Gunshow 21-23 OCT, 2016

Anyone going? I'm working until Sunday, so will head out to check out what's left, hopefully find a deal or two...

Western Metal Inc. will be there as seen on CGN, thinking I'm gonna pick up 1000 of their 9mm 115gr reloads, what the hey.

One of these days we should see who in the area wants to go in on a large order and see what kind of bulk pricing we would get, but being the day of the show, it will not be this day lol
Old 10-21-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE75 View Post
Anyone going? I'm working until Sunday, so will head out to check out what's left, hopefully find a deal or two...

Western Metal Inc. will be there as seen on CGN, thinking I'm gonna pick up 1000 of their 9mm 115gr reloads, what the hey.

One of these days we should see who in the area wants to go in on a large order and see what kind of bulk pricing we would get, but being the day of the show, it will not be this day lol

Where is it? I live in GP too.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:26 PM

Good luck finding any deals! Seems used goods are following the increase in new stuff with the US dollar.
There's a guy from FSJ that has some awesome custom knives though and Wapiti Outdoors has a new reed call, I don't really need anything but had a few things on my list that was keeping an eye out for.
I bought a trial camera mount from member Keg River and a bunch of mini donuts.

It's at evergreen park, been all over the radio today every 10min.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:30 PM

It was a much better show than in previous years. The lever guns were all over priced however.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2016, 08:28 PM

Decent time for a Sunday, bought some ammo, 1000 rds 9mm from Western Metal, Tennessee Cartridge reloads, we'll see how they perform, they look really good. Found some dirty commie Tokarev ammo at P&D and snapped it up, along with a 525 brick of 22lr. Corwin Arms guys had some AR and TT-33 mags, that was a nice find.

Next up, Dawson Creek show.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:29 PM

I went with my daughter, and we decided the mini donuts were the best thing going there, for $6. For the most part, everything I saw was way overpriced. Way. Typical, and why I don't go to the shows much anymore. On the upside, I went with a wallet full of money, and spent $20 to get in, and $6 on donuts, and went home with the wallet still mostly full of money.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-23-2016, 09:34 PM

why do they charge $10 to get in? Something like this should be about $5, the vendors are paying to set up a booth as well.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwillow View Post
why do they charge $10 to get in? Something like this should be about $5, the vendors are paying to set up a booth as well.
Essentially, because they know you will pay it even if it does give butt hurt and is unreasonably high. I get annoyed at the high entry price as well, but they are obviously in it to make money...and that is an expensive venue to rent for a function as well. If people stop showing up, the price would maybe drop, but I doubt it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-24-2016, 10:13 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwillow View Post

We do pay for a table, but it's no where near enough to pay for the rental of the venue. And Spatzi has to make something to make it worth his time, to organize the whole thing, and to pay his expenses.

There's a lot going on behind the scene that costs someone a lot of money, mostly Spatzi. Think advertising, travel, and a lot of cranky vendors arrange things with.

I've heard some negative things about Hunt Mania shows. From one vendor's point of view, I have to say I am very happy with my dealings with Spatzi.

Yeah it's not the biggest show on earth, some prices could be lower. But everyone involved has costs. For me, there is hotel rooms to pay for, fuel, table rental, which admittedly isn't a lot, and meals. It all adds up.

I'm not complaining, not at all, I love doing these shows. I'm just pointing out that we do have costs to cover, all of us do, even Spatzi.
And no one is getting rich here.

For me, and many others, we can't afford to do the big shows like the Edmonton exhibition. The tables cost too much.
Shows like Spatzi's is our only option.

And honestly I don't understand why ten dollars would bother anyone when they would happily buy a couple of dozen mini doughnuts for six dollars.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-24-2016, 10:20 AM

Well crap Keg, I didn't know you were there, probably walked right by you twice. I for sure would have stopped to say hello, if I had any idea what you looked like....what table were you running?

The $10 entry doesn't actually burn me up much, just the cost of admission for a sunday outing with the girl. Now, those $6 donuts? Heavenly! Did you try them?? I would have even shared one with you......TC

Old 10-24-2016, 10:42 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Well crap Keg, I didn't know you were there, probably walked right by you twice. I for sure would have stopped to say hello, if I had any idea what you looked like....what table were you running?

The $10 entry doesn't actually burn me up much, just the cost of admission for a sunday outing with the girl. Now, those $6 donuts? Heavenly! Did you try them?? I would have even shared one with you......TC

I suspect I may have talked with you. I meet so many cool people at these shows.

I have the Carcajou Mounts table. That's what I call my trail camera mounts.
I don't talk about it here because that would be advertising and that wouldn't be fair to those who pay for advertising. But that's about to change. I will be talking to AO's advertising department today to see what can be done to rectify that situation.

Oh yeah! I tried those doughnuts. They are great, and the hot dogs are big enough to choke a horse.
There are so many good things at these shows. I love the antler jewelry.
Marge and George are the table beside me at all of these shows. It's hard to imagine that he cuts every one out by himself.
And did you see the 92 year old lady that helps her son sell guns, they are the booth on the other side of my table. Granny is hard to understand but such a interesting lady if you take the time to listen to what she is saying.

I know I spend too much time visiting when I could be selling, but for me that's a big part of what makes these shows fun to do.

I've been thinking I should bring a coffee pot so people would stop and talk for a bit. I don't care if they buy a mount, I just love getting to know new people.

Jim

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-24-2016, 11:58 AM

Yup, we talked for a bit, good to finally meet you!

Old 10-24-2016, 12:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Yup, we talked for a bit, good to finally meet you!

I wish I knew which one you were.

I met so many interesting people there and talked to so many, I wasn't sure but there were a few who seemed somehow familure, I guessed they were AO members. I just wasn't sure enough to say so.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-25-2016, 11:20 AM

Default 2017 Dawson Creek Show?

When is the 2017 Dawson Creek Show? Who do we contact if we wish to get a table there?
Old 10-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupthatsme001 View Post
When is the 2017 Dawson Creek Show? Who do we contact if we wish to get a table there?

I wish I knew, I'd like to be there too.

I've been searching but no answers so far, there is nothing of that nature on their events calendar from October to January

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-25-2016, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupthatsme001 View Post
The Dawson Creek Gun Show is in the early spring every year,

Contact Corlanes Sporting Goods , Dawson Creek 250-782-2111

Ask for Brenda
Old 10-25-2016, 09:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
The Dawson Creek Gun Show is in the early spring every year,

Contact Corlanes Sporting Goods , Dawson Creek 250-782-2111

Ask for Brenda

I have all the information on that show but at the GP show I was told that there was a show in Dawson this coming week.

Perhaps that individual was mistaken. Or maybe it's a less publicized event, such as a trappers rendezvous.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-26-2016, 01:10 AM

I also must have talked to you Keg, without even knowing it. If you would have had coffee I would have hung out there likely near the entire time LOL, I've been meaning to get ahold of you about hunting in our area, as I've got all November off coming up quick.

I spoke with that older lady a bit, she was quite the interesting lady, my buddy didn't want to stay put and talk but he was looking for a stubby/coach style 12g, his wife "wants one", and the older lady said the same thing I was thinking but not wanting to open my mouth and say, that I bet she wants one until she fires it a few times.

I, too, was told there's a gun or trades show coming up soon in Dawson... I'll try to find info, I'm up all night working anyways.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I also must have talked to you Keg, without even knowing it. If you would have had coffee I would have hung out there likely near the entire time LOL, I've been meaning to get ahold of you about hunting in our area, as I've got all November off coming up quick.

I spoke with that older lady a bit, she was quite the interesting lady, my buddy didn't want to stay put and talk but he was looking for a stubby/coach style 12g, his wife "wants one", and the older lady said the same thing I was thinking but not wanting to open my mouth and say, that I bet she wants one until she fires it a few times.

I, too, was told there's a gun or trades show coming up soon in Dawson... I'll try to find info, I'm up all night working anyways.
Isn't granny a hoot!

There were a few who stopped and talked with her. I remember one fellow in particular who chatted with her, not tall, dark hair, looked to be in his late thirtys.
It struck me that he showed so much respect and interest, a bit unexpected from a younger fellow. And very refreshing to see.

If that was you, I have to say, I was impressed. It takes some patience to listen to granny, her voice is not the clearest.

I know she says she wouldn't fire one of those shotguns her son sells but she don't fool me, that lady is tougher then boiled owl poop, I bet she has shot more guns then many of her sons customers have.

Skinny women like her are deceptive, they look frail but they are anything but. She didn't get to that age by being a wall flower that's for sure.

Anyway, God willing I'll be back for another show in the spring.
Spatzi wants to do two shows in both GP and Fort Mac next year. It's gonna be a busy year.
I hope to do at least twice as many shows as I did this year. And I want to do at least a couple in neighboring provinces. See what hunters there think of my product.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-26-2016, 07:28 PM

Might have been me, I'm short, was wearing a grey sweater and need a haircut badly lol

Who knows, I saw a few people stop and talk to her, she seemed very wise and saavy.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Might have been me, I'm short, was wearing a grey sweater and need a haircut badly lol

Who knows, I saw a few people stop and talk to her, she seemed very wise and saavy.
It wasn't you, oh well.

There were a few for sure, she was interesting and more then willing to engage strangers. Awesome lady!
I bet she would have been willing to cut your hair, if you had asked.
Yeah I wouldn't either. I doubt her hands are very steady these days.

So if you see me at a show next summer, just stop by and say hi. I may even have a coffee to offer. If they allow me to have a pot at my table.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-31-2016, 07:55 PM

What's the date.?
Old 10-31-2016, 10:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckatwork View Post
What's the date.?

It's done for this year, but there will be one in the spring.

I have the date in my briefcase but it's downstairs.

There will be two in GP next year, a spring and a fall show. I'll post the dates later tonight.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-01-2016, 11:02 PM
Gone Hunting

A bit late, but here it is for those interesed.

HuntMania will hold two shows in both Grande Prairie and Fort McMurray next year.

The spring shows will be;

Grande Prairie, April 7 - 9.

Fort McMurray, May 12 - 14

The fall shows for those cities will be;

Fort McMurray, August, 25 -27

Grande Prairie, Oct 20 - 22

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-02-2016, 10:01 AM

Might have to come to one of these shows in Grand Prairie sometime. Might find some new interesting stuff.

Last edited by mi.st; 11-02-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:50 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi.st View Post
Might have to come to one of these shows in Grand Prairie sometime. Might find some new interesting stuff.
Stop by and say hi if you do. I have the Carcajou Mounts table.

George Bernard Shaw